smart charger

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 17:29
ThreadID: 64992 Views:3948 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
went camping and the friend next door had a super cheap geny 1800w think and was not running right give the throttle a rev cough and fart and away it went.mean while he had his battery charger bc-012-15a smart charger plugged in and started smoking it blew a fuse.so he took it to a auto elec and he gave him a new fuse took it back to camp plugged her in and this time melted the fuse and started smoking like a byron bay party.my question is has any body else had trouble with super cheap genys power spiking and is the power stable on these things,or has any one had trouble with these smart charges dags
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 18:33

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 18:33
I just blew up a brand new 15amp 'smart charger' using an inverter generator.
I see Derek from ABR advertises his chargers as being "generator compatible", so I may try one of his.
AnswerID: 343602

Follow Up By: Tenpounder - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 22:45

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 22:45
Hi, Shaker. Please tell me more! What charger? and what genny? Can you say how you blew up your charger. (I too have a nearly new smart charger, and an inverter genny, and I'd really like not to repeat your experience!). Any advice?
Chris (SA)
FollowupID: 611458

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 09:15

Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 09:15
The charger was a Projecta SM1215 & the generator a Kaito KT1000, I have absolutely no idea as to why it burnt out & as far as advice is concerned, to be quite honest, I probably need some myself.
FollowupID: 611491

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 09:38

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 09:38
Shaker,
At a guess I'd suspect the Kaito KT1000 has a square wave output just like the Engel inverter generators.

If that is the case then that would be sufficient to turn most any switch mode charger into a smoke generator!

Tenpounder, what brand of generator do you have?

Geoff
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 611677

Follow Up By: Tenpounder - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 10:05

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 10:05
Hi Geoff. I have a Yamaha EF1000iS genny, and the charger is a Jaycar switch mode MB 3620 ("Powertech Plus"). No problems so far, except some signs of generator 'hunting' in economy mode when hooked up to charger.
Regards
Chris (SA)
FollowupID: 611683

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 10:15

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 10:15
Hi Chris,
I don't think you'll have any problems with theYamaha.

Some time ago I got hold of a few different generators and checked their output with an oscilloscope. (An oscilloscope is a piece of electrical test equipment that "displays" on a screen the waveform output of the generator)

Your Yamaha and the Honda were two of the better units I got a look at. The Engel was the worst as it was a square wave.

Sometimes it pays to give the eco-throttle a stable base load of say 100W or so when powering a battery charger. At least that's what I've found with my EU10i Honda.

Geoff
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 611686

Follow Up By: Tenpounder - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 10:26

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 10:26
Thanks, Geoff. I hope you are right about the Yamaha.
I take your point about a base load in parallel with the charger.
Incidentally, I did not realise there was such a thing as a square wave inverter generator, so I've learned something. (I thought all inverters emulated a constant voltage, fixed frequency, sine wave output).
I am terrified at the number of posts on this site which reflect the view that nominal generator output (kW), price and (perhaps) noise level is all you need to worry about: many people seem to think that (supposedly) 240v AC power is like a petrol driven water pump - if the motor starts, then useful power is available, no probs. If only!!

Chris
FollowupID: 611690

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 10:51

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 10:51
Hi Steve,
I too was quite surprised by the output of the Engel being square wave when it first hit the oscilloscope screen.

That caused me to do some digging, hidden very carefully on the Engel website it does mention the square wave output. It does not mention it on any of their handed out specifications, just the fact the unit contains an inverter.

I would suspect this is to leave the purchaser with the assumption you and I started with, that is: "I thought all inverters emulated a constant voltage, fixed frequency, sine wave output"

From my testing Sol was on the money, "generators ain't generators boss!"

Makes me shudder too on some of the criteria for generators.

Geoff
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 611696

Reply By: greybeard - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 18:47

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 18:47
the 240v is pretty average.
i've got an 850w gen and use a 4 stage 16A jaycar charger with it.
what i found though was it needed a 100W load ( 240v spotlight ) on the gennie to get the charger to work properly.
once i added the load it has worked ok ( so far :) )

i only use it once a year or so though.
if my life depended on it, i'd spend the money get a better gennie. ymmv
AnswerID: 343605

Reply By: Mark Taylor - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 20:21

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 20:21
Yes.. I have used a GMC $99 cheapie to run my CTEK.. but I also plug in 150W flood light to put a load across the generator.

Has anybody thought of putting a UPS on their generator and then plugging their computer into it?

I have just replaced 2 UPS units in the studio and it is amazing to see the reports generated by the UPS software as to what is coming in from the power point and what is going out of the UPS. They really seem to filter well!

Might take it camping next time and see.

Cheers

Mark T
AnswerID: 343616

Reply By: Steve Ellis - Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 08:10

Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 08:10
I have one of those supercheap generators and it does need a load on it to work in a stable manner.
AnswerID: 343660

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 14:17

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 14:17
One way of making cheap generators that can still put out a good amount of power, is to have very marginal voltage regulation.

Whenever a load is added or removed, there will be a massive drop or jump in the voltage - well-designed appliances will survive, appliances designed for minimal cost won't survive.
AnswerID: 343875

Sponsored Links