GPS systems

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 03:35
ThreadID: 65005 Views:3083 Replies:9 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy there i have just bought a gps navigation system and was amazed at how far my speedo is out according to the gps.
My speedo reads 100KPH the gps says 108KPH i got a 2003 VY 'dore.
Has any one else noticed this?

Cheers
Mick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 04:48

Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 04:48
Hiya Mick_J

Yep they did a story on a current affair in Victoria about this..Just tyres alone put my one out by 4kms when travelling @ 100kms i'm actually doing 104kms and by the time the speed cameras are out as well i do nearly 10kms under the normal limit,especially at higher speeds....

cheers
AnswerID: 343649

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 07:42

Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 07:42
Such is the nature of the farce that the Vic Govt pass off as safety. Speed cameras that allow only 3khm vs speedo's that have NEVER been calibrated with consistency to under 10%.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 343654

Reply By: DIO - Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 10:47

Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 10:47
Apparently speed cameras in SA are now down to 2km/ph 'tolerance'. Word is that 1 km/ph 'tolerance' is not too far off. I guess that with the numbers of road deaths and injuries on our roads authorities will continue to enfore driver behaviour with speed cameras, lasers etc until there is a marked improvment in driver attitude commensurate with a significant drop in fatalities and injuries.
AnswerID: 343685

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 11:07

Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 11:07
The stupid thing is speed on its own doesnt kill.

Driver attitudes and incompeticy do.

In my young and silly days we used to vie with each other to set the fastest time over a 105km tourist road in NZ It was gravel and rutted. None of us died. We learnt to handle the car and 30 years ago they werent anthing like what we have now.
Admittedly we did it usually at night when there was no one else on it being a blind end. From Te Anau to Milford sound if you are wondering

I was taught car handling in a 34 V8 in a wet paddock. That taught you quite a bit abut skids etc.

Should be mandatory today to do a test on a skidpad.

Most people think they drive really well UNTIL SOMETHING GOES WRONG.
They then dont have any idea of what to do.

Woops, in a skid!!! hit the brakes Oh damn where did that tree come from.

You see it here all the time.

It rains, all the idiots are out fishtailing and skidding around roundabouts, still tailgating.

Get in car leave brain at home.

Queensland drivers on their usual behaviour
FollowupID: 611501

Follow Up By: x - Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 16:21

Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 16:21
Too true

Last week I just missed being cleaned up by a young woman as I crossed an intersection in a line of traffic (including a highly visible bus)with the green light. As I was just across the first set of lanes my eye was caught by a car coming right at me from the right, then BBang- she hit the front of the car following me. To achieve this she drove through two sets of red lights, the first a hundred metres before impact. And she didn't see that she was about to plough into a solid line of traffic. Didn't even deploy the anchors.

She was doing about 80 (the posted limit). She denied using the mobile but jeeaz, how flippin hopeless must she be. The roads are full of the these idiots.

But who do the police and speed cameras target?
FollowupID: 611534

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 17:30

Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 17:30
Yep and she WASNT using a mobile. Muxt have had eyes shut then.

My best two with young female drivers are

No 1 Heard a crash at home a few weeks ago Look outside to see a girl looking at front of car. Wandered over to see what happened

She had come around a corner and onto the bridge over canal,mounted left gutter which is about 10ins high and went 2 car lengths and hit a lampost pushing l/h wheel back to door. No brake marks.She got out of car with phone in hand No prizes in guessing what caused it.
No 2 Was drriving buses back in NZ Stopped at a red light. Woman on far side of l/h street saw a friend and stopped right on corner to talk.
Light changed she was still talking so l took off was right in front of her when she just booted it. Hit the bus on rear door and peeled the front of her car right off leaving lying on the road in front of it,lights bumper and all.
Shes screaming what did I DO THAT FOR.
I said u just came through a red light and isnt the bus big enough to see 6 feet in front of you.
She yelling and going on so I just wandered off and said tell hubby how you did that when you get home.
Never heard any more about it
LOL
FollowupID: 611550

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 20:17

Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 20:17
I'd take it one step further Graham

The combined attitude of the police / government and research agenices that back them actually have had the effect of keeping the death toll on the roads above what it should normally be.

Its a fascinating cartel to watch as they each feed on each other into believing things and seeking the statistics to support their position , this leads to a mentality that it has to be the bad motorist rather than exploring the whole issue and seeing how there role has been much less than what it could have been.

As their policies fail, it obviously means they haven't beaten up the motorist hard enough and so they get into a bidding war on what extra restrictions they can place on said motorists.

Its a subject I will expand apon one day when the argument is complete.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 611581

Follow Up By: Stu-k - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 09:54

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 09:54
I think you will find people are speeding less and the government are losing to much revenue. So they lower the limit tolerance to make more money.
The road toll lets them justify more speed cameras and more $$$$.

FollowupID: 611681

Reply By: The Explorer - Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 11:07

Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 11:07
Fortunately my cars speedo is out in the other direction - at 100km/hr GPS indicates only ~95km/hr. Explains why all those old ladies kept passing me.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 343690

Follow Up By: Mick_J - Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 16:01

Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 16:01
L O L Greg..........Good one
FollowupID: 611530

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 17:12

Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 17:12
I'm guessing you don't have standard size tyres..
Most speedo's read under speed by a few K's but to be that far out (in the wrong direction) suggests something else is in play. Either the wrong size tyres and/or the wrong speedo drive gear fitted.
AnswerID: 343744

Reply By: Warstar - Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 17:28

Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 17:28
Mr Bitchi that's unfortunately not necessarily right.
My previous tug was a Patrol 3.0TD and I noticed that When passing the overhead speed indicators I was always "slow"

Eventually I took it to the RACQ (happened to be in Qld. at the time) and they tested the speedo and found it to be 10% out.
When showing 100kmph on the speedo my actual speed was 91KMPH. I took it to Nissan to fix under warranty and was told that speedos were only warranted to a 10% error.

I spent the next 150,000 kms, calculating the 10% variation into my fuel consumption etc. etc. Very annoying!!

To be fair that is the only bitch I ever had with Nissan. It is a great Coy as regards warranty issues.
AnswerID: 343749

Reply By: Warstar - Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 17:37

Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 17:37
Mr Bitchi that's unfortunately not necessarily right.
My previous tug was a Patrol 3.0TD and I noticed that When passing the overhead speed indicators I was always "slow"

Eventually I took it to the RACQ (happened to be in Qld. at the time) and they tested the speedo and found it to be 10% out.
When showing 100kmph on the speedo my actual speed was 91KMPH. I took it to Nissan to fix under warranty and was told that speedos were only warranted to a 10% error.

I spent the next 150,000 kms, calculating the 10% variation into my fuel consumption etc. etc. Very annoying!!

To be fair that is the only bitch I ever had with Nissan. It is a great Coy as regards warranty issues.
AnswerID: 343751

Follow Up By: madcow - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 09:06

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 09:06
We found by fitting 265/75/16 tyre it corrected the speedo. the std is 265/70/16 on the Patrols. except when A/T tyres were fitted. I have an 03 GU and we are actually faster than the speedo reads. Only by 2km/h at 100kmh.
FollowupID: 611671

Reply By: HGMonaro - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 11:49

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 11:49
most speedos read high (you're going slower than indicated) and the faster you go, the more out they get. Motor magazines (Wheels/Modern Motor/Car Australia) used to have it as part of their 'stats' and I don't think any had 'actual' readings above 'indicated'. I wouldn't trust those overhead speedchecks as I've seen cars travelling side by side or line astern get different readings. Both my GPSs indicate that my 2006 Prado's speedo is accurate at 100kph, something agreed by many PradoPointers. Interestingly, later models don't achieve the same accuracy (can't remember which way the lastest ones read... I think it's once people put 70series tyres on they are then accurate again). My Commodore reads about 5kph fast (100 indicated is 95 on the GPS) so I set my 'cruise' a bit higher ;)

AnswerID: 343851

Reply By: WayneD - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 15:20

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 15:20
I spend more time looking for speed signs that looking at what is upfront and behind. In NSW we have changes is speed zones when there is no obvious change in road conditions.
We need to standardise speed zones to give us a fighting chance.

As for road toll, we now have a much greater chance of survival due not only to our vehicles but response time to accidents and medical technology.

Remeber if you had a ding you then had to find a public phone that was working or one of the few people that had a phone on in the house. Now the phone causes the accident!!
AnswerID: 343885

Sponsored Links