Advice on building a camper trailer needed

Submitted: Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 08:05
ThreadID: 65032 Views:3645 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi all ,
I am thinking of building an off road trailer and would appreciate any advice from anyone who has done this . Towing vehicle is an 80 series . Some of the places we go camping are quite hard to get to so trailer will have to be very sturdy . Does anyone know where I can get plans from . If you have built one what would you do differently next time .
All the best
Kevanancy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 08:55

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 08:55
K 'n' N,

Visit as many camper trailer retailers as you can.
Have a look at as many setups as you can.
Get the pencil and paper out and include everything you want and disregard those features you dont.

When I built mine, over a period of time, made so many changes and alterations it looked like a 'pickled' welder had gone nuts.

Cheers.....Lionel.
AnswerID: 343820

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 08:58

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 08:58
Kevanancy

Can't help you with plans but I went down this road a few years ago looking for an offroad trailer at a reasonable price.

I looked at trailers from a variety of manufacturers in Melbourne but could not find one to suit my needs. I finally tried closer to home and found one in Adelaide. The trailer is aHeavy Duty Chequer plate 7x4 Modern Offroad Trailer fitted with 16" rims. Then I had to make some alterations like fitting a Treg Hitch, doing a spring over axle on the suspension and fitting Nissan studs to the hubs so that all wheels and nuts/studes are interchangeable with the tow vehicle.

The trailer has done around the 40,000km now without any stress fractures or weld cracks. I have observed that it has not been 'overwelded' giving the body some degree of flexibilty. The trailer has done some extreme treks and well over 1000km of cross country driving. I have made a steel canopy frame for it and my local upholsterer made a canopy with suitable awning for shade or incelemnt weather. The unbraked payload is 750kg though it might go a tad over that at times. Next time I will make sure that I buy one with brakes fitted.

I think that the biggest problem with building your own trailer is to that you might 'over do' your building. Too many welds and too heavy steel sections. I have a friend who is an expert welder and he set about building a camper trailer and by the time he had finished it weighed in at 1300kg and that is unladen weight.

Hope you get some good answers off this forum.

Cheers
AnswerID: 343822

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 17:10

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 17:10
"1300kg and that is unladen weight"...one of the reasons why Ii dont want to even try
FollowupID: 611770

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 17:22

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 17:22
I had my off road gear trailer custom built and it is around 600kg+ dry weight without the spare tyre or full jerries fitted, lucky I didn't get a camper made hahaha
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 611773

Reply By: austastar - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 14:14

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 14:14
Have a look on myswag.org
Loads of usable information.
cheers
AnswerID: 343874

Follow Up By: kevanancy - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 08:40

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 08:40
Thanks for the advice guys & that site (myswag) looks great I am sure they will get me sorted .
FollowupID: 611924

Reply By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 10:35

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 10:35
It's worth the money to buy Rivers' 'The Camper Trailer Book'. Has plenty of design criteria to evaluate retail units.

But the bottom line is you have to be clear about what you intend to use the unit for, and then build to suit.
AnswerID: 344067

Sponsored Links