Water into Lake Eyre? How much?

How much of this water is going to get to Lake Eyre.
Is anyone (who knows) making any predictions of how much and when?

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Olsen's 4WD Tours and Training - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 20:01

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 20:01
I wondered how long it would be before this question was asked.

Probably, a little bit. You will have to wait to see what sort of wet season we have. Will need a lot more rain yet I suspect.
AnswerID: 343958

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 20:27

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 20:27
Peter

The waters flowing past Birdsville at the moment may take two months to reach Lake Eyre,

You may go here to read updated info in Lake Eyre.

Cheers
AnswerID: 343963

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 21:01

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 21:01
Good link Willem, thanks for that.

Cheers,
Peter
FollowupID: 611821

Reply By: Crackles - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 21:01

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 21:01
For those that are too techno challenged to search for results on the same subject from just 2 days ago he's the reply I gave then ;-)

AnswerID: 343728 Submitted: Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 15:30
Crackles replied:
With the amount flowing through Birdsville presently it's quite likely there will be some water at least go into the Warburton Groove but not be visible around the Lake from anywhere accessible by 4x4. To start filling Lake Eyre considerable rain often needs to fall in several different catchments at different times arriving at the Lake simultainiously. I wouldn't be planning a trip there yet.
Appears by the Lake Eyre Yacht Club web site that local rain is already drying out & water coming down the Diamantina is a while off yet.
Cheers Craig.............
AnswerID: 343975

Follow Up By: handy - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 07:35

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 07:35
the cooper creek has a bit of flow in it at the moment, might help a bit. cheers
FollowupID: 611917

Follow Up By: Crackles - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 14:33

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 14:33
The local rain that has fallen in the area is most likely to have all evaperated by the time the Water arrives from Birdsville down the Warburton. For the Lake to fill, the Macumba or the Cooper creek also needs to flow & from what I've read this is yet to happen in any amount. One more major rain event in the North Central area should see at least a partial fill viewable from the bank. Cross the fingers.
Cheers Craig.............
FollowupID: 611980

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 22:14

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 22:14
Peter,

With the current Diamantina flood a little in the lead of the Georgina flood, they aren't likely to hit Goyders Lagoon simultaneously. If this did happen, all the graziers along the Warburton would be most excited.

At present the peak of the Diamantina flood is around Davenport Downs, and at a guess, the Georgina is around Roxborough, or Glenormiston. Just checking a map, Hema of course, it appears that the Georgina is dragging the chain.

Now heres where it gets scientific. The bigger the flood, the faster they go. So maybe the Georgina, being in a major flood, may make some time on the mighty Diamantina, which according to the Yacht Club, is only moderate.

Remaining in a scientific vein, floods below 1200 gigalitres, lose an estimated 75-94% through evaporation & transmssion losses. so if we put the combined total of the floods in the 2 rivers at 3,000 gigalitres & working on only 75% loss, then there will be approximately 750 GL arrive at the Warburton groove, about Anzac Day, this year. These losses may not be as high, due to the current Birdsville flood, lubricating everything in its path.

Of course, the volume received maybe enhanced by the arrival of Cyclone Charlotte in this area, over the next week.

Anyone dispute this? LOL

Good night,
Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 344003

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 09:09

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 09:09
Peter
Before any rain from ex Cyclone Charlotte had a slight chance of reaching Lake Eyre it has to fall within the area shown on this map.

Image Could Not Be Found

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 611928

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 19:05

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 19:05
Heavens to Murgatroyd, Bob - how's a girl supposed to understand that!
FollowupID: 612034

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 22:06

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 22:06
Good on you Ruth, that was the sort of reply I was seeking.

Just shows you don't need a No.5 shovel to spread the B/S around!!!

River has dropped here the last 2 days, albeit quite slowly, so will be doing a lot of good while it holds up.

Great to see water bird numbers very slowly increasing. Big mob of something flew up the outside channel this arvo, but couldn't distinguish whether they were cormorants or not.

Sandflies are so big this year they need to radio in for landing instructions........I kid you not.

Talk to you later,

Bob.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612075

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 09:50

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 09:50
Thanks Bob, great info.
Doug, I reccon there has been rain in that area, just hope it is enough. Thanks for the map.

Cheers,
Peter.
AnswerID: 344059

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 19:02

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 19:02
BIrdsville received only 53 mm - the flood that was here was caused by local rain falling on the surrounding property to the north. The level has dropped and we can again see the road out of town and can cross the Diamantina - at the moment. Hopefully long enough for a supply truck from Adelaide to come in - we haven't had fresh anything (milk, f & v) since 19 December. If no rain on the Birdsvlle Track then the truck can still get close to Birdsville - about the racetrack and the boats will do the rest! The main flood water, as pointed out by Bob and Crackles above, is still aways up the River. We are expecting two more rises in Birdsville - both of which will cut us off again from the south and east.
The Georgina (which is Eyre Creek at Bedourie) is rising and both Bedourie and Glengyle Station will probably have water over their bridges in the next day or so. KIng Creek (just south of Bedourie) is already very much in flood and the road north is cut.
As crackles pointed out, to put flood waters into Lake Eyre takes an enormous amount of water. In 2000 if there hadn't been big rains on the western/north western side of Lake Eyre which caused big runs in the Macumba and Neale Rivers then our Diamantina River water alone wouldn't have been enough on its own. Remember also, that the Cooper has a very long way to go to get into Lake Eyre and in 2000 it only got as far as 2 klms to the east of the Birdsville Track.
All the waterholes are full now and more rain to the north or even locally will make a big difference to how much water can flow in through the Warburton Groove - it also has a long way traverse through Goyder's Lagoon first.
The river to watch is the Georgina/Eyre Creek - this will make things very interesting when it spills down through the northern part of the Desert - through Muncoonie Lakes and further south. Could be a beautiful season out there. Again, hard to predict where it will end or how long it will take. Everyone is safe and healthy and floods here are great fun - until the water starts to go down and the sandflies come out. Everything is very green - even the surrounding sandhills are covered in vegetation.
FollowupID: 612033

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 22:18

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 22:18
And if everyone takes notice of Ruth, and comes out here this year, they might see scenes like this:

Image Could Not Be Found
Diamantina River sunset

Maybe later in the year, there'll be a bit more ground cover than this photo.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612076

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 11:52

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 11:52
Bob, lovely photo - you will miss this view come tomorrow!
FollowupID: 612172

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 22:49

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 22:49
Very true, Ruth.

The view across Magpie Gully, and the railway line, just won't have the same appeal, eh.

Future sunsets will have a foreground of houses, power lines & other bits of "civilisation". "Sighs".........with emotion.

Not to worry, it's a new beginning Ruth.

See ya,
Bob.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612302

Sponsored Links