4wd Tracks in Tasmania

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 08:35
ThreadID: 65074 Views:7912 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Happy New Year to everyone

We have just arrived back after doing 21 days of 4wd in Tassie and used the Chris Boden 4wd Tracks in Tasmania as a guide.
We did over 50 of the published tracks and many more that we discovered along the way and enjoyed some of the biggest crayfish I have ever seen or eaten thanks to my mate at Temma.

We travelled to each most extreme tip of Tassie except the south west coast where we could only get down to the Pieman River on the west coast and then back tracked along the Balfour Track to the Western Explorer and crossed the Pieman River on the Fatboy Ferry at Corina and then across to Granville Harbour, Trial Bay and on to Strahan.
This book is very accurate except for unexpected trees over tracks which required some chain saw modifications.
The Montezuma Falls and Ring River Tracks are highly recommended. Water depths are over 1 metre in some places on the Ring River Track and once committed there is no way of turning back. This little 6.5 km track takes about 2 hours to do and if taken can be a good experience.

Unless you are totally self sufficient and have some good experience the notes in the publication should be taken and travel with company, although we travelled alone on all the treks, but on a couple of occasions it would have been good to have the comfort of knowing someone was close by although we got trough ok without getting stuck or any damage.

Tasmania is a fantastic destination for touring and 4wding although the holiday periods should be avoided at most popular east coast destinations.

Regards
John

I will add some pictures when I get time

Regards John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 11:23

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 11:23
Have to agree John, and the Tim Bowden book is good value too.
For an easy, but very spectacular drive, add the Mt McCall track to your list.
Waiting to see your pics......

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 344073

Reply By: Baz&Pud (Tassie) - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 15:40

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 15:40
Chris Boden's book is great value and used by many Tasmanians when going four wheel driving, and its great to see that some travellers from the island above us get the enjoyment out of the book and also our great little state.
There are tooo many people from, dare i say "AUSTRALIA", that come down here and do nothing but criticize the weather, the only ones that seem to enjoy the weather down here are 4x4ers cause they can take what ever is thrown at them.
Glad you had a great trip.
Cheers
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 344109

Follow Up By: Member - John M (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 07:21

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 07:21
Thanks Baz

Nothing is perfect in this world and when travelling, exploring in this world, no matter where you are you have to put up with the conditions and make the best of it because it is our choice to be where ever we are.

We experienced every season in Tassie from warm to snow and calm to bloody windy, but I believe this is what adventuring is about.
We went to many places we should not have went and on some occasions could not get through because of overgrowth on tracks and serious washouts which could have caused major damage and would need a sky-crane to get us out but we thoroughly enjoyed every minute. I love to not know that is around the next corner or over the next mountain because what you normally find is breath taking, beautiful and exciting.

The Tasmanian people are the most friendly and relaxed people that I have met in Australia. Several times we found great areas to camp next to creeks and rivers and it was only a matter of being polite and asking the farmers if we could camp overnight and the answer was always yes. We always left the area cleaner than we found it and on a few occasions firewood was brought down on a quad bike for us to use. Speaking of quads, I think this will be our next investment to get into places that you would damage your vehicle.

If people complain about Tassie they are better off staying in a resort at the Gold Coast or somewhere else.

We will certainly be back and next time we will have a base camp, our boat and hopefully a Quad bike. I don't know which is the best location as I love the west coast but I think it will be around Deep Creek where there is better access to the sea.

On our trip in Tassie we saw many hundreds of hire Camper Vans (Britz type) and unfortunately due to their limited access these people spending so much money on the hire of these vehicles miss out on so many beautiful and unreachable places in these vehicles.

Regards John

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 612107

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 16:41

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 16:41
We recently bought this book from the Explore Oz shop. We plan on an 8 to 9 week trip to Tassie early next year. There are clearly some great 'not to be missed' areas and tracks down there.

My only issue is going to be planning to access them with the van. Which ones can we take the van on. Which ones can we do in a day and return to the van. Which ones do we need to leave the van for a day or two and tent it.

Working that out so that we can have the van secure, use it's comforts where possible, but see plenty of the country is going to be our challenge. I can see myself asking a lot of questions here once I get into detailed planning.

Norm C
AnswerID: 344121

Follow Up By: Member - John M (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 07:41

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 07:41
Hi Norm
The book is great and very accurate except for a track west of Swansea (I think it was off McNeils Rd) which after about 50 kilometers could not find the side track and ended up at a locked gate into military property. This was New Years Eve so we camped in the bush with the Tassie Devils and a few wombats and bush wallabies and extremely strong wind and mountains of firewood, we ended up having a great time and no noise from party goers.

There are many places where it is impossible to take your van, but also many beautiful places that you can and then use this area as a base for your exploring.

From experience (although we didn't have a van) I would approach local farmers to camp as a base and then go from there. A 6 pack of Boags can open a lot of doors and the farms are always located along the best rivers and creeks and generally offer good protection from the wind. There are also some great secluded places in the popular National Parks on the east coast. The farmers can also give you some great directions for tracks and places that the general tourists never get to see.

I have previously done the tourist places in Tassie and been there on several business trips so I had a good idea on where we really wanted to explore. I only wish I had your 8 or 9 weeks to do this.

When you are ready to plan your trip and if I can offer some advice, please let me know. jmc@ssre.com.au

Regards John

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 612114

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 09:59

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 09:59
Thanks for the info John and your offer for further help when we get into detailed planning.

Based on previous advice, we are planning on being in Tassie from early Feb to late March or early April as it is the most likely time to give us good weather. Can't do it this year due to other commitments during that period (including son's wedding) , so 2010 is the plan.

Norm C
FollowupID: 612141

Sponsored Links