Tie-Up vs Dome Swags

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 22:04
ThreadID: 65100 Views:7564 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Whats the general consensus about the pros and cons of the 2 basic versions of swags?

I've been experimenting with both.

The thing I don't like about the tie-up swags is it seems difficult to get the right tension at the pillow end to create enough room in the swag without it rubbing against you and letting condensation in. They never seem to open up enough.

The domes are a little fidgety and take longer to set up, but these feel bigger and better air flow.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 22:20

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 22:20
We've got 3 of the "flat" ones and one dome jobbie.

The flat ones have the capability of being strung up to a bullbar/tree etc, but we rarely do that at all..... It's easier just to pull the canvas flap up as high as you need (depending on the weather/temp etc) and be done with it. Even in really cold weather, if you leave the side or top partially unzipped, (allowing air to circulate), you won't suffer with condensation.

We had ours custom made so the zippers go all the way to the foot.... we can throw the canvas right off if need be.

The dome swags......??? well you may as well set up a tent IMHO,

Roachie
AnswerID: 344202

Follow Up By: gh1967 - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 22:25

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 22:25
what do you mean by it's easier to pull up the flap as high as you need? The only way to do that (elevate the top of the swag) with a tie-swag is by tying it?

Or do you mean you just pull the swag over and basically use it like a sleeping bag?
FollowupID: 612078

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 22:34

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 22:34
Yes, sorry, I meant that we (well my kids use the swags mostly), just pull the top canvas flap up over them like you would with a blanket/doona etc at home. If it's mild weather, they just have their head and shoulders exposed. If it's colder, they pull the canvas up over their head.

In our case (we have an Ultimate Camper Trailer with an under-bed tent that the kids can use), if it's raining, they throuw the swags into the tent.

I think we'd only use the tie-up-to-bullbar method if it was raining etc and we had no other means of keeping the rain off the swag/s

Roachie
FollowupID: 612080

Follow Up By: gh1967 - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 22:40

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 22:40
Gotcha, but that method would expose you to any creepy crawlies in my case because unlike your custom-made swags mine only has flyscreens at foot and head.

But since I usually sleep in a tent I use it like how you say anyway lol
FollowupID: 612081

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 23:03

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 23:03
If you are going to the trouble of putting up those fancy dome type swags, why not use a tent. Our Oztent RV 4 only takes 30 seconds to erect, a lot quicker that the fancy swags. When we head bush, we use the conventional type flat swag on top of a ground sheet. Here is one of our set ups near the Geographical Centre of the Simpson. Simple ground sheet, end up with small poles and the open sky for the best sleep you can get.

Cheers

StephenImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 344215

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 08:21

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 08:21
Gday Stephen, and may this year bring some good trips!

I used to wonder the same, but our preference is for double "dome" swag rather than a quick erect tent

Reasons:
#1 Its warmer in the swag than a tent (less air)
#2 With a swag you don't need to unpack the other stuff - mattress, pillow, sheets or sleeping bags
#3 We leave our 3 fibreglass loops attached, so you don't need to pack separately
#4 Swag is stacks quicker to pack up.

But caravan parks and wet weather we'd often put up a tent.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 612120

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 08:34

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 08:34
Hi Phil
All the best to you and your family and I bet you have a few good trips on the books for 2009? To be honest, we only ever use the tent in some caravan parks, otherwise use the swag 99.9% of the time. We have said that we always sleep better and warmer in the swag. Even last year when we got caught out on the Abandoned Section of the Old Gunbarrel with wet weather, we still used the swag under our Black Widow Awning. Some poeple think that we are mad, when we have said there have been many times when the swag is white with frost, and still as warm as toast inside.

Take care and all the best

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 612123

Reply By: Member - Bucky, the "Mexican"- Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 07:49

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 07:49
hg1967

I have a swag just like this, they are brilliant, and suppose you would call it a dome swag. That's the mate Matt, at O'Tools flat, near Thompson Dam in Vic, (almost the high country)
They are snug and as you can see Matt's, I prefer using just 2 single star pickets (600mm long), and have other mates , who just kook up t the bull bar, of their truck. Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 344234

Reply By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 08:16

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 08:16
Mr / Mrs gh1967,

I have a tent / swag from Ultima. My wife has one too and loves it.

It comes with a telescopic pole for each end, but I usually position the car so that one end can be tied to a bush and the other to the bull bar.

It has enough height, that you can sit up in it and get dressed, and just enough room, that you can take next days clothes in with you.

It has mesh on both sides and the top and a hvy duty canvas cover, which zips securely to shelter you from rain or dew. It has flaps at each end for ventilation.

You can lie there at night watching the stars and listen to the frustrated mozzies flying around outside (and spiders, snakes and scorpions). Great for hot nights, and bullet proof in bad weather.

Down side - Ultima tent swags are expensive and are bulky to transport. But I guess if you buy one, it is a lifetime asset and I just throw our swags on the roof rack and tie them down - very quick.

I usually go away into the desert with a couple that have an Oztent tent and believe me, they are not as quick as a swag as. I could have my swag arranged AND put away again before they were set up and putting the tent away is worse still.

Willie

AnswerID: 344238

Reply By: P7OFFROAD Accredited Driver Training - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 08:44

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 08:44
I have a single Dome swag, it has been through some shocking weather and hs never let me down (though it's now more than a ecade old and it's probably due for a new mattress)

My single biggest criteria was being able to open the window at the head end from inside (the window in mine is huge, and covers the whole end of the swag. This lets me vary the tempurature inside, even when it is bucketing down (there are little 'awnings' at each end). the pole takes about 10 seconds to set up (flexible 3 piece). two tent pegs, or bullbar, towbar, tree, whatever and you are set.

The best bit about a swag is you undo the clips, unroll and the bed is made. You don't have to set up the dome if you don't want too...

cheers

Dave
AnswerID: 344240

Reply By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 10:59

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 10:59
Probably straying off topic as its not a swag in the true sense of the word but serves the same purpose...I just got one of these..

Image Could Not Be Found

Weighs in at less than 1kg, and less than 2kg with mattress (self inflating).

As previously mentioned, no need to use the "dome" if you dont want, so not sure why some people say you may as well get a tent if you get a dome swag.

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 344257

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 11:30

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 11:30
Greg,
What do you do when it's hot ? Does it have mesh top to bottom under that cover ?
Willie
FollowupID: 612165

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 11:51

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 11:51
Hello Willie

Top opens and there is mesh..

Image Could Not Be Found

The flasher model also has foot vents. Probably not the best choice for mid summer in the desert (especially with a sleeping bag). I purchased it for upcoming hiking trip in Tasmania (Western Arthurs).

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 612171

Sponsored Links