Cairns Flood Photos

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 14:47
ThreadID: 65114 Views:4788 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
My son sent me an email this morning:

"In the photo that's me standing near the front door in knee deep water. I was trying to slow the traffic so the bow waves wouldn't smash the glass doors. Some people in 4wd are wankers."

Check all (355) photos at www.cairns.com Here's a sample ...

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TerraFirma - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 15:49

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 15:49
Hey Mal, Whose store are you trying to protect.? Bloody bow waves, trust 4WD drivers not to think like responsible boat owners..! LOL

It should have been marked a 5 Knot zone..!

AnswerID: 344282

Follow Up By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 16:59

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 16:59
TerraFirma

I wasn't there. It was my son making comment to me. He and his partner own the shop and had just completed a new fitout over Christmas period.

There ARE some responsible 4x4 drivers out there when it comes to these sort of floods in built up areas. And then there are the absolute urban cowboys! I remember in the Townville '98 floods I was "trying" to stop traffic going across the Mt Louisa Creek alongside my old place. The water was almost to the top of the hand rail. A bloke had his kid up on his shoulders making his way across the bridge when a 4x4 forged his way through nearly washing the guy and the kid over the side. My blood was absolutely boiling. If I could have got my hands on that idiot I doubt if he would ever do that sort of thing again.

Malcolm
living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612230

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 18:17

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 18:17
Yep look at it no bull bar must be a city car with a woman driving, I recond all 4x4 owners should have a seperate licence class just like trucks. I would pay for one if it got those idots off the road that give us a bad name.
Sharon
AnswerID: 344306

Follow Up By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 18:43

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 18:43
Sharon

Couldn't agree more. And .... a licence to tow a caravan!!! The test to include reversing and road laws to help protect our truckies from some of these inconsiderate idiots.

My attitude is .... I'm retired, all the time in the world (so to speak). Poor ol truckie out there trying to make a quid comes across a rig doing 80kmh, and quite intent on doing that speed to Dreamsville. If the cap fits, where it. C'mon give our truckies a break. Get off the road and wave them past when it is safe to do so.

my 2.2c with GST

Malcolm

living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612253

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 19:11

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 19:11
Vans Too !!!
Hey share some of that rain will you.
FollowupID: 612259

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 19:20

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 19:20
Rather yes to towing a van licence. Just finished a 6000k trip towing. It scary out there. I think the biggest idiot that comes to mind was a comm sedan towing probably 17' doing max 80 with no mirrors. We got caught behind him. We believe in traffic flow and try our hardest not to block it. Anyhow that's moving away from original thread.
FollowupID: 612263

Reply By: Member - Damien L (Cairns) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 19:09

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 19:09
Unfortunatley that part of Cairns always floods first. I live around the corner and we had it well over the road. It had rained all night
Love the bush

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 344313

Sponsored Links