Cheap Power Tools in Bush

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 13:07
ThreadID: 65139 Views:2847 Replies:9 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
For our long Xmas camp near Dargo this year, I thought I would have a power tools option as with 10-20 vehicles around something always happens.

I had a play some first class battery operated Hitachi tools a mate has, these were superb and included everything from a 5in circular saw , to grinder and drills but each having a muli hundred dollar cost.

I however had allocated only a $100 bucks total and brought cheap and nasty everything and considered it as disposal

First a $74 600w square wave inverter model 8Zed from performance shop.
$14.95 4 inch grinder from K-Mart.
$12 13mm hammer drill from Supercheap.

With a few drill bits, pop rivets, sanding grinding and super thin cutting disks , a short extension co-ord it was only just over $100 bucks.

Chucked all the above along with a few bits of metal into a small cardboard box (from the office A4 paper supply).

Sure enough , someone who shall remain nameless broke a weld and we were straight into it whilst getting lots of encouragement from those sitting around the camp fire.
A flapper sanding disk soon ground the welds off and cleaned up the area, the drill made some holes and in a few minutes we had cut and pop-riveted some steel strapping in place as a fix.
On another occasion we had to cut thru fencing wire and also make some bits for a fireworks display we set off New years eve.

Probably won't take it on all trips but what a powerful effective and compact accessory it was to have.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Farko - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 13:34

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 13:34
Arghhhhh...!! Fireworks!!
Unless you are one of the few with a Worksafe licence and obtained a permit to burn from CFA (and probably DSE there too) fire works are very much illegal these days, unfortunately. Guy Fawkes night was always good fun.

Good ideas about power tools, though.

cheers
AnswerID: 344431

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 14:22

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 14:22
Hi bleep o

We are certainly still an immature society, and haven't yet really learnt that happyness has a value as well. You can be either a Hero or a Crim sometimes for doing the same thing depending on which side of the fence you sit.

One I always remember is that the road was a bit wet and glancing down at the speedo, it was reading 186 kmh. My mate was wanting us to hurry up as other cars past us but the road wasn't all that good.
However the taxi driver assured us we still had plenty of time to catch the plane out of Frankfurt.

Over here the news media or police would be lining up to brand him a Hoon or whatever is the currently popular fiend image.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 612382

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 14:39

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 14:39
My Goodness , looks like the first time in years of posting a post of mine has been modified.

Looks like I copied the posters name at top of my reply and its was replaced by "Beep" .

I can see why now - guess the rule checking process doesn't check user names ?

Maybe a moderator could check if this is an inconsistentcy.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 612384

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 13:34

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 13:34
Gday Robin,
Yep they come in handy - most bush trips in groups you get the opportunity to use it!
I only have a 300W inverter, and my 240V drills draw more than 300W. So Instead of an inverter, I bought a 12V rechargable drill, threw the battery away and simply soldered a power cord to it. Works better than when it had a battery. It would be nice to have the angle grinder, but have to admit that with a couple of quality files, I haven't felt the need.

Cheers
phil
AnswerID: 344432

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 14:34

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 14:34
Yes thats a good idea and admit to having done that to a 7.2 volt unit I had.
The grinder with those fine cutting disks you get is amazing to - we had a situation on different trip where someone left a padlock on the short chain section for attaching to trailer and it bounced along the road till next coffee stop.
It took just a few seconds to cut the damaged lock off.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 612383

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 22:17

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 22:17
Phil, I will do that when my 12v battery fails and put an Anderson plug on it so I have the extension lead and the heavy weight power at the back of the car. I guess I always have the EU20i Honda if with the Karavan and that runs reasonable sized drills and a 100mm grinder without too much trouble.

Robin, we were up through the Dargo Valley in early January and saw lots of great camps there. Had been in Bairnsdale for two nights.
FollowupID: 612474

Reply By: Member - Phil B (WA) - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 14:37

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 14:37
Hi Robin,

On extended desert trips and in a group situation, we share inverter driven drills and angle grinders. We even a 12Volt welding outfit. Have used all of these tools at various times and were very grateful we had them with us.
We also take some angle iron, flat bar and some all thread rod with nuts suit. These have been very handy on many occasions as well.

cheers

Phil
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 344442

Reply By: madcow - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 14:52

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 14:52
Weher were you camped Robin, We may have come across you. We had 4 vehicles, 2 GU's and 2 Ford Couriers. We carry a drill and can run it on the inverter if necessary
AnswerID: 344449

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 17:59

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 17:59
We were in the Top (Northwest corner) near the main swimming hole for the whole time till jan2 Madcow.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 612420

Reply By: RV Powerstream P/L - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 15:08

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 15:08
Robin

Tell all those blokes asking for good cable and or good chain to lock up thier generators and solar and other bits not to worry about the chains and wires as nothing will stop Robins advertised modern burglar kit.Ha Ha

Can you hear the sirens yet they are coming to get you.

Everyone with twin battery systems and an inverter will now be suspects and that 4x4 hater would love to get his hands on this he would claim all 4x4owners are criminals and should be locked up and their cars taken off the road and confiscated.
Ian
AnswerID: 344450

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 15:52

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 15:52
Well it seems us 4wders just can't win Ian.

However I can prove my trustworthiness on multiple fronts - If you believe the following short story.

I'm out by myself where Cummins rd crosses the Murrindindi river.
Theres a 10m wide flat grass verge there but the grass had grown long.

I reversed into it to go home and bang the chassis was fully on the ground as both back wheels dropped simultaneously into nothing.

Seems the council had cut a 1m deep drain hole straight thru it and the long grass had covered it up.
Lockers diffs chains and hand winch meant nothing.

I look around and see a holiday house 100m away with a blonde sunbaking on the rear Veranda.

I wandered up, noting a winch equipped hi-lux near the front door.

She came to front door - a bit sleepy and wearing very little.

She said, my husbands not home , handed me the hi-lux keys and went back to the sun lounge.

Damm if I wasn't tempted to follow her, however I drove off in the hi-lux instead and it took awhile as I had to figure a few things out but I dragged my car out solo, and took hers back.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 612410

Follow Up By: RV Powerstream P/L - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 17:10

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 17:10
Robin
You forgot to add I married the blonde and lived happily ever after.

Ive forwarded the script on to Baz Luhrman to see if its worth making another picture as it might have a better chance than Australia.

Can you dance and sing you might get the leading role.

I Believe the blonde was very honest and trusting oops sorry you meant you.
Ian
FollowupID: 612418

Follow Up By: RV Powerstream P/L - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 19:20

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 19:20
Robin
Thank you for having a good sense of humour.

Your budget tool kit reminds me of another person BBBarry called Budget Barry in the CMCA .

He vowed to fit out a motor home for under $5000 and some of his exploits are extroadinary and he is very smart man to achieve what he has done.

It is an experience that people can bring you back to reality with simplicity.
Ian
FollowupID: 612436

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 20:07

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 20:07
I already had one blonde Ian , 2 would be committing suicide as for that film I reckon it will be very forgettable.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 612445

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 15:39

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 15:39
I have a Plastic Fish Crate that I carry all my Cordless Gear in my work
vehicle, when we go away it allways goes in the back of the Nissan
with my Hand Tools carry bag, one time when we were at
North Shore on the Sunshine Coast, a bloke damaged the Transom
on his Tinnie, just about ripped right off, we managed to repair it
with Angle Brackets and Tex Screws and Silicon, just so he could
still enjoy his holiday, we got a couple of nice Muddies for our trouble.

Cheers
Daza
AnswerID: 344455

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 17:06

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 17:06
I've always carried a chain saw.
This year I am trading it in for a 550W, 240V Reciprocating saw and a selection of blades plus an extension cord.

This is 1/3rd the weight, no smelly petrol to carry and will cut a tree or a bull bar, all from the inverter.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 344469

Follow Up By: Member RayJen Paj05 (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 18:34

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 18:34
P&M, I'm interested to know what brand this saw is and where do ya get it?

Thanks, RayJen
FollowupID: 612426

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 20:10

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 20:10
Hi Peter

I had a look as those as I think they would be a good idea in some circumstances.
Mine though require frequent removal of large trees and I didn't think they would be up to that , did however downsize my chainsaw to a sthil miniboss for Xmas and its a great little toy.
The narrower chain means it cuts though hardwood about as well as my big unit.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 612448

Reply By: fozzy - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 19:49

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 19:49
Robin

have a look at the dremmil for around $100 very light,long battery life,attachment that sharpens chainsaws easily,use a drill in it,sands,has cut off blades and small to make access to tight areas easy plus many more options.

cheers
fozzy
AnswerID: 344492

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 17:27

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 17:27
G'day Robin,

Thanks for posting this.................been considering the bush repair scenario for about 6 months, and you have galvanised me into action. I have just gone into K-Mart & bought some cheapie tools for bush repairs:

Solutions brand Mini Grinder/Engraver $ 24.99

Solutions brand 12V cordless drill $ 24.99 - could convert to Phil G's idea of power source if I flatten the battery out in the bush, (which I will have charged up at home before departure).

Trying to avoid buying a 600w inverter as I have a 300w, so gunna continue with a hacksaw/cold chisel/what-ever, should that scenario eventuate.

Now have stowed the tools, drill bits, straps, plate, angle iron, pop rivets, etc in a hidey hole in the bowels of the GU.

Cheers
AnswerID: 344658

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 20:45

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 20:45
go for it Rick
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 612635

Sponsored Links