TD Prado

Submitted: Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 20:23
ThreadID: 6514 Views:1980 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi me again
Still checking out 4wds mainly toyotas at the moment. Last time I wrote I was asking about TD cruisers compared to none TD cruisers. I think it was John that suggested I look at a TD Prado. Now questions for all you knowledgable 4wd gurus.
I have got them down to $53,000 on road drive away so far. Has anyone done better ? This is with T/ bar and B / bar.
The 17'' wheels . Will they be a problem up north ? That is if I get a few flats can I get replacements alright?
With the swing out rear door, can it be opened all the way with a Trak Shak on or any camper for that matter?
Has anyone had a family member complain too much about sitting in the middle in the second back seat? Seems very hard to me.
I had a second hand cruiser for two days on trial. It had done about 50,000km. Nice and roomy but a bit sluggissh compared to the Prado.
Had a Prado for two days and was just amazed how smooth it was across our rough paddocks and how comfortable it was on the road.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Goodsy - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 00:00
17" wheels will be a problem up north. Try and get 16" fitted from the factory. Also 17" tyres cost a shet load. Don't get 17" if you intend to use the Prado offroad.
AnswerID: 27536

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 09:27

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 09:27
The back seat in any of the eight seat four wheel drives are really only for kids. Not much legroom for adults.

There is not a lot around in 17"tyre at the moment but they will come. It is not that long ago that we complained when they went from 15"to 16's but look at the range now. You can fit the old model Prado steel wheels to the new prado so maybe you could get a set and put 16" A/T's on. Ünless you are talking serious off roading and the majority of the time on rocky roads or muddy ones I would just stick with what is currently available in A/T tyres in the 17" I think Cooper and Kelly have them at the moment and I know Pro comp have them available for the 17"Sahara L/C so they may have them to suit Prado.

As far as opening the door for the Trak Shak - no -problems just disconnect one side of the stone guard.

the only problem with the new Prado at the moment is the lack of serious off road accessories eg heavier suspensions but they will come soon I guess.We have so little time to enjoy our land
AnswerID: 27550

Follow Up By: Mick - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 17:09

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 17:09
Old wheels fit do they. I have just got a new one and still have the extra spare wheel from my previous Prado - good news!!! I was going to sell it!! Thanks
FollowupID: 19005

Follow Up By: Cashy - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 13:26

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 13:26
The 16" rim wil fit on the back but to fit it on the front requires grining off some of the brake caliper. It is in excess as it is from when it was casted and shouldn't damage the caliper if done correctly.

Cashy
FollowupID: 19103

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 20:45

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 20:45
Mick,

Yes the steel wheels will fit but there is reduced clearance on the caliper but you need a set of four the same on the car. If you fit one 16" to the car you will blow up the drivetrain.We have so little time to enjoy our land
AnswerID: 27616

Reply By: pilbaralad - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 23:13

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 23:13
Just picked up my new TD prado on Monday, still grinning from ear to ear. The price you've been quoted sounds good. I got mine through a salary sacrifice deal so I can't compare. Just a few little things to be aware of.

Your question about getting tyres up North leads me to believe you might be visiting my neighbourhood, so these points may be of interest. (I live in Newman, WA)

1. Tow bar wiring setup. The catalogue shows the plug well up at least above the towbar but when they fitted mine it sits down about 3 - 4 inches below the bumper. Of course the first creek I would have come out of it would the back end would bottom out and tear it off. I'm having this taken off and just having a loose wiring loom I can hang out the back when needed for towing.

2. If you ask for a dual battery set up, be very specific. They are clueless when it comes to outback travel.They fitted an auxillary battery on a solenoid system but left the accessories working from the main battery. This means the auxillary basically just sits there having a holiday, it's just useless when you are proped up camping for a few days.

3. Accessory plugs only work with the ignition on. If you want to run a fridge while out bush or even if you go into the shops the current setup requires the keys to be in the ignition. I am having this bypassed and hooked up to the auxillary battery with a 4 way switch.

4. The 12 volt shop also gave me advice that although the accessory plugs show a rating of 120 watts, the wiring is very thin and should be replaced with thicker stuff for running fridge etc.

5. Toyotas car seat covers are excellent. They have all the right holes for the seatbelts and rear seat pockets. If you have kids they are well worth it.

6. I went for a drive today with my parents in the front. I sat in the back for over an hour ( I am 6 foot two) and as long as the person in front of you is of medium height there is plenty of leg room. This was a critism of the older prado's but this model is ok. I can't comment about the middle seat but I found the back seat to be quite comfortable.

As for the lack of accessories, tyre at the moment, Toyota is importing 1000 per month. At that rate the tyre companies and mobs like TJM, ARB will be rushing to get stock on the shelves. Prado's are a very popular vehicle with mining companies around the Pilbara region so the local tyre places will have the tyres in plentiful supply. My mate also runs the Hertz rentals agency and they are going to use the new prado also.

If you need any more info let me know.

regards

Brett

AnswerID: 27664

Reply By: farmer - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 20:14

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 20:14
Thankyou all for your replies.
I have just signed up for one today and should have it next Friday. They knocked another $1,000 off and won me over. Thankyou Brett about the advice on the wiring etc I will mention it to them tomorrow before they start detailing it.
Let you all know how things go.
This is a very good forum. Every one gives good sensible advice and don't carry on. On the overlander one there are a lot of stupid comments. There is often a reprimand by the auditor. Also there are a lot of ads that come with each comment ,plus pictures and with my slow old internet here in the country it takes for ever to down load. Worse than waiting around at a clearing sale.
Thanks again.
AnswerID: 27786

Sponsored Links