COULD BE WORSE

Submitted: Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 22:50
ThreadID: 6519 Views:1627 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
This report in NZ Herald link textis interesting.
How does Aussie fuel compare?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Old Jack - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 10:14

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 10:14
We have been progressivly getting lower sulphur levels in Australia, much like in NZ. we are not as yet down to 50 PPM yet. the refinerys in NSW have started delivering at a lower level in the last month here. we are seeing Renult, & Citron cars here with Euro diesel motors, 5 l/100klm on the hyway in the real world. most of the 2 lt turbo diesel's are faster accerating than the petrol models!
in europe the 2lt class are the normal family cars and most people buy diesel as it is considerably cheaper to run the petrol. even with our cheaper ulp it would be cheaper to run one of theres cars than the petrol model.

The french buy far make the best small to medium size cars, interestingly they have really crappy roads outside the towns and main citys so the suspension rides and handles well on our crappy road's over here.
if you ever spend a few hours driving on Roman built cobble stone roads in a normal car you will know why citron made the hydrolic suspension!

PSA makes a 1.4 turbo Direct injection diesel that ends up in four differant cars (three french) including the ford fiesta that we will see in our region soon, makes the hybrid fuel electric cars look like slugs on the road & use less fuel, so much for battery cars!(170klm/h + on the autobarn in a 1.4 diesel!)
AnswerID: 27555

Reply By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 12:29

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 12:29
Old Jack
This would suggest that the future of diesel engines is bright. I don't know anything about this new generations of high tech engine - some questions that come to mind (especially noting our 4x4 interests) are:
a. are they (or do they intend) producing say 2.5ltr and above engines
b. what is the low end torque like
c. will a heavier vehicle be able to go so long (ie 100000km+) between services
d. etc
Can you point me in the direction of some reading on this technology?
AnswerID: 27578

Reply By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 12:39

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 12:39
Old Jack
This would suggest that the future of diesel engines is bright. I don't know anything about this new generations of high tech engine - some questions that come to mind (especially noting our 4x4 interests) are:
a. are they (or do they intend) producing say 2.5ltr and above engines
b. what is the low end torque like
c. will a heavier vehicle be able to go so long (ie 100000km+) between services
d. etc
Can you point me in the direction of some reading on this technology?
AnswerID: 27579

Follow Up By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 12:41

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 12:41
.....honest I didn't press the bl**dy send button twice
FollowupID: 18978

Follow Up By: Old Jack - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 16:46

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 16:46
The diesel engine as we know it has been evolving for a number of years, as for this technolagy being applied to larger capacity motors it already is. an example is the 3lt jackaroo engine the 3.2 lt pajero. power output and torque are up over the basic boat acnhors fitted to most 4wd. they allready can go 10,000klm between services as the high pressure common rail direct injection produces far less soot than the older generation of oil burners. low end torque with high pressure direct injection is better know matter what engine capacity.
the nissan owners make a lot of noise about the new 4.2 lt turbo motor. (old tech) 114kw 360Nm still doesnt meet euro engine emmisions. 3lt jackaroo 118kw 330Nm
pajero 132kw
They use the same injection tech. in large trucks (C.A.T) plus others.
apply the same 4 valves per cylinder and injection tech. to larger capacity turbo motors and the effieciny an power goes up allong with the drop in emmisions.

compare the latest 4.2 nissan turbo to the toyota the same size with electronic injection it's a stagering differance.

as for servicing, electronic injection has been used in cars for years, you will not find a single car without injection today. common rail High pressure direct injection diesel uses the same engine managment principals as has been used with petrol engines for years(without the spark timing of course!)

within a few years every motor will have it and people will be wondering what all the fuss is about.

By the way the next generation of petrol engines will be using high pressure direct injection petrol(a compresion ignition engine that uses light fuel[petrol] instead of deisel) less smelly & the public like filling cars up with the same stuff, now that will be something to talk about!

happy motoring
jack
FollowupID: 19002

Follow Up By: Old Jack - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 16:50

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 16:50
oh and the 3 lt nissan motor is in the same sort of euro techknow asthe above examples. ie high efficiency low pollution.
FollowupID: 19003

Follow Up By: Member - Bill- Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 17:50

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 17:50
Old Jack, Alfa has a direct injection petrol on the market in Australia NOW, the 156 JTS. It replaced a motor that had everything, variable cams, 4 Valves, Twin spark because it got same power, less emissions.Regds

Bill
FollowupID: 19014

Follow Up By: Old Jack - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 20:12

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 20:12
Bill,
The motor still has 4 valves per Cylinder and spark plugs,
yes it has high pressure direct injection but it's not a compression ignition engine(diesel cycle) which is what I was talking about. all the same it's an example of what is next to come in modern engines.(a far cry from the 1968 model alfa gt coupe and a certain blond from my youth, oh they where the days!)
This type of motor will become more common though. 4v/clinder heads have far less stress loads than 2 valves, better gas flow, longer cam & valve life etc.(same reason most Modern diesels have 4 valves per cylinder)There are probably others around or about to be realeased, in the USA there will soon be heaps of then to meet the california clean air act. bring it on!

PSA make a large number (europes largest manufacture of motors possibly) of motor sizes from cars up to trucks!

The internal combustion engine still has a fair way to go to reach maximum effiency. Intersting that the really heavy trucks use electric motors to drive the wheels due to there superior low speed torque and the ability to dynamically brake the truck going down hill. the deisel electric Hybrid applied to a 4WD would make the ultimate off roader.

FollowupID: 19029

Follow Up By: Member - Bill- Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 22:01

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 22:01
Jack, matter of fact, still got me a couple of them GT Coupe's, a 65 and a 70, both in race trim. Now that was a car ahead of it's time.... Love your intersting posts.Regds

Bill
FollowupID: 19041

Follow Up By: Old Jack - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 14:43

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 14:43
Go for you, my only old car is a rover P5B coupe (3.5 alloy V8) 1968 model. I still miss the blond and the car they are a lt of fun!
wish I still had the Blond!, oh well the only 40 year old Italian I have around her is a Black haired girl :) her motor still purr's, her body is still in very good shape & I can afford to take her out on more than just weekends!(oh dear I hope she dosn't read this)
Happy motoring!
FollowupID: 19108

Sponsored Links