Is Dingo Dell opened??

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 12:43
ThreadID: 65302 Views:2370 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Is Dingo Dell opened? I shall endeavour to get there on Aussie Day for a Barbie. I heard via the grape vine that NPWS had closed the track near Kowmung River.

Regards

JD
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Signman - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 13:23

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 13:23
I phoned NPWS (Oberon) last Thursday, and they guarantee that the road is open and passable. Arrangements have been made with the private landholder.
Just check there is NOT a total fire ban before you light up the barbie !!!! A call to NPWS might just maintain good relations !!

AnswerID: 345348

Follow Up By: Treading Lightly - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 15:28

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 15:28
Hi Signman,

Thanks for info.

Regards

JD
FollowupID: 613333

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 14:51

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 14:51
Hi Signman VK1DX here. I believe you are in my log somewhere.

Wouldn't mind going to Dingo Dell. Having trouble finding it ona map.

Have you got a map reference please?

Phil
FollowupID: 617763

Reply By: timglobal - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 14:56

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 14:56
I travelled to Dingo Dell just before Christmas and all was fine. Camping remains limited compared to previously, but space remains for plenty of campers - (guesstimate) 3/4 groups of up to 3 vehicles each.

Kowmung River crossing is passable with usual caution. When we passed through it was extremely fast and high due to recent rains, but both the Disco and Jeep were fine.

Can recommend taking Laings Road to bypass the caves.

Do respect the area and signs as whilst positive at present, the landowner has valid concerns about erosion from previous abuse.

The waterfalls near Dingo Dell are worth the walk / drive to reach them (via the approved routes!) I'm

In terms of cooking, if there is a fire ban, then you can still use gas if you have buckets of water near. As this isn't technically part of the National Park, I believe that you Park Fire Bans do not apply, however good sense would suggest you consider gas in this case anyway.

Limeburners remains closed indefinitely. I dropped a note to NPWS about it and their reply was as follows:

Limeburners Flat was closed off to vehicle traffic after Easter this year to allow rehabilitation works to occur on the badly degraded slopes around the Flats. Years of mis-use of the area by some visitors has caused significant damage to the vegetation and subsequently the water quality of Murruin Creek has suffered.
The NPWS Plant Crew carried out trail maintenance work on the access trail this winter and in autumn 2009 they will commence erosion control works on the slopes and ad-hoc tracks in the Flats area. The trail and camping area will remain closed till these works and associated revegetation works have been completed. At this stage I cannot put a date of completion down. Any updates on the trail re-opening will be posted on the park website at; www.environment.nsw.gov.au .
The decision to whether this trail remain closed or re-opens to the public will be made at a later date when a number of factors have been determined such as; NPWS/ SCA ability to control access in the area to ensure the bio-diversity and water quality is not compromised again and the gazettal of the Murruin Wilderness Area (proposed back in 1994).

So there you go!

Cheers,

Tim
AnswerID: 345363

Follow Up By: Treading Lightly - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 15:29

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 15:29
Hi Tim,

Thanks for info. I hope that Limeburners re opens, was a good and fun track.

Regards

JD
FollowupID: 613335

Reply By: Member -Signman - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:20

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:20
Hi there
How did your trip go. Was it OK to go thru Dingo Dell open?? Is the road passable all the way from Jenolan to Wombeyan??
Cheers

AnswerID: 346305

Follow Up By: Treading Lightly - Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 13:19

Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 13:19
Hi Signman,

Didn't go to Dingo. A mate and his wife asked me to go with them to Upper Colo, as the weather was going to be a bit warm I thought that a cool dip may the better option.

Had a few wines and talked the better half into driving back, a good day was had by all.

Dingo will have to wait for a while.

Regards

JD
FollowupID: 614755

Sponsored Links