80 Series Air Con Question?

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 22, 2009 at 12:48
ThreadID: 65324 Views:11496 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
1992 80 series 1 HD-T Air conditioner question.

The air conditioner on our 80 series started acting up about a month or so ago.

It still seems to blow cold air but not as cold as I remember.

It was regassed only in the last 12 months.

About a month ago - the green led light in the AC on/off switch started to "flicker" when the air conditioner is on...now the green light doesn't seem to come on much at all.

Does anyone know if this is indicating just a dirty contacts in the AC "on/off" dash switch condition, or if ineed as I suspect - the compressor clutch is cutting in and out in conjuction with when the green AC switch light is either on or off?

Has anyone else come across this phenomena and know whats required for a cure?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 22, 2009 at 13:10

Thursday, Jan 22, 2009 at 13:10
Hi Flywest,
You've describe the same thing I just went through.
On the firewall, where the tap is. that changes the flow of water to heat up the cab, pull the ring off the tap handle/arm,it will just slip down, unclip the cable clamp and push the tap to the off position and then re-clamp the cable.
Making sure it can't slip through the clamp.
To un clip it you'll need to stick your finger up in behind the little plate that the clamp is attached to.

There is also plug connection that is usually zip tied to the Power sterring hose near the Steering box.
Some times this may have dirt or no be making proper contact. Try that.

When the light flickers, can you hear the compressor cut in and out? Eg; the rpm drops down or raises.
AnswerID: 345501

Reply By: Sea-Dog - Thursday, Jan 22, 2009 at 17:11

Thursday, Jan 22, 2009 at 17:11
My 80 air con played up a couple of years ago now... got it fixed and then it played up again and didn't seem too cold.

I got the air con guy out and he simply adjusted the thermostat on it again and it is nice and icy cold now.

I would hazard a guess that after 16 years the contacts on the light are just a bit dodgy to cause the flicker and it is coincidence.

Try contacting the guy who regassed it a year ago and ask him to recheck it.... should have done the upgrade to the new gas then too so he should be happy enough to check his work for you.
AnswerID: 345532

Reply By: toyocrusa - Thursday, Jan 22, 2009 at 19:56

Thursday, Jan 22, 2009 at 19:56
Hi Flywest. Under the bonnet on the passenger side just below the mudguard edge you should see an alloy pipe with a glass "eye" fitted to it. It should be towards the front of the vehicle. With your air conditioner operating you should see a clear to opaque liquid in the glass. If it is frothy or really bubbly then the system is low on refrigerant. If it was done 12 months ago and it is low then it probably means their is a leak somewhere which will need to be repaired before it can be regassed again.Regards,Bob.
AnswerID: 345556

Reply By: autosparky - Thursday, Jan 22, 2009 at 20:23

Thursday, Jan 22, 2009 at 20:23
you will have bubbles in the sight glass the new gasses eg R134a go in by weight not volume. your a/c does not have self diagnosis for a slipping belt. the flickerimg light is the globe in the switch failing.that can be replaced. at the last service was the service done according to the ARC specs? was the drier changed? if not if you are in the perth area call 0418945847 and i will help you sort it out
AnswerID: 345559

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 07:04

Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 07:04
Toyota's a/c switch also have a fault indicating light, which is when low on gas it will flash when you try and use the aircon and its low on gas. I would say if its flashing and you have had it regassed in the last 12 months and the air is not cold coming out the vents then there is a leak in the system. 80 series aircon (factory fitted) would normally freeze the balls off a brass monkey. Could be TX valve but I doubt it, this wont cause the light to flash. If you are mechanically minded in any way pop the bonnet and have a look/find at air compressor, then start vehicle turn on air and see if the clutch on the compressor in engaging or not, or another try is take the two wires off the high and low pressure switch, join together and if compressor kicks in the system is low on gas. If this is the case DO NOT keep the wires coneccted to run the air you will stuff the pump. That is why they are fitted with a high/low switch to stop any damage to the pump/system occuring.......WHG
FollowupID: 613549

Follow Up By: autosparky - Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 08:33

Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 08:33
the 80 series (92 model) does not have self diagnosis on a/c gas or belt slippage it is a simple compressor without speed sensor. camry of the same year had self diagnosis but only because of the long fan belt, and it flashed the swith light to alert of a slipping belt at the compressor in relation to crankshaft revolution.
the only sensors on the 80 were thermistor to pressure switch thru temp switch on thermostat housing to compressor. thermistor control box had a tacho pick up so at idle you could control a/c function whethter to come on or not . there is a vacuum idle up contol from this box. self diagnosis came later in 96
FollowupID: 613557

Follow Up By: autosparky - Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 08:35

Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 08:35
petrol models came with self diagnosis in some later models diesel did not
FollowupID: 613558

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 11:16

Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 11:16
Fair enough, was a while ago that I use to fit the kits to them (back in 88 to 92). I remember the corolla's, camrys, tercels, hilux's. I remember the corola's and camrys use to have two a/c buttons, one for full air the other economy, bloody gimick if you ask me, either you want cold air or you dont. I also remember my 94 wide body camry had the flashing fault light as part of the aircon button. WHG....
FollowupID: 613581

Reply By: Flywest - Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 23:44

Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 23:44
Thanks for that guys.

I'm still looking at it - hopefully this weekend.

Something I have noticed is a type of slight belt slipping noise at start up for say 30 seconds or so....

Maybe there is some slippage or maybe there is low gas or a bit of both - I'll get it looked at.

I don't think it is timing belt making the noise as it's just had a new timing belt and tensioner kit at 300,000 Km's, within the last 2 months!

It dumped it's gas last summer when parked out in the sun in the Pilbara on a day the temp went to 48C

It was regassd down here in Perth about 2 days later - with the new refrigerant gas & dryer and worked great thereafter.

It is a 16 years old air con so who knows maybe it needs some kinda overhaul or something, I just don't want to get ripped when I take it somewhere if it is something simple or stupid like a bad earth connnection.

If it is something that needs to be repaired properly then I'd sooner know about it and get it done right first time even if it is a rebuild.

Thanks heaps for the advice!

Cheers
AnswerID: 345698

Follow Up By: autosparky - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 00:25

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 00:25
if you are near perth give me a ring i will be able to help
FollowupID: 613681

Reply By: Wazza - (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 15:45

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 15:45
Same symtoms on my 80 this summer as well. (1993 diesel). Got it regassed last summer and it only lasted a month before it lost the gas. This summer got it checked and it was the TX valve behind the glovebox leaking through the o-rings.
Exactly the same thing happened last year to my dad's 1992 80. Maybe common problem for the age.
The auto sparky that did it last summer checked the UV dye after regassing under the bonnet but not behind the glovebox, so did not pick it up at the time. About $80-100 for the valve and a bit of labour and regass. So about $300-400 all up.

Anyway, worth every cent to have the aircon back !!
Good luck.

Wazza.
AnswerID: 345739

Sponsored Links