ZD30 - Four Cracked Pistons - Follow Up #62790

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 20:39
ThreadID: 65383 Views:10098 Replies:4 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
I'll try AGAIN. Big post just went up in VAPOURWARE .....

The good news .... It's going again.

I'll post this and come back to elaborate the good; the bad; and the ugly.

Malcolm
living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 21:07

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 21:07
At least I now have a thread started that I can post to.

Pistons: 1 and 4 cracked; 2 holed; and 3 OK.

Dealer removed head and reported "Four cracked Pistons" - around $450
"In Chassis - Engine Rebuild Kit" $1100
New Glow Plug - $37 (Nissan Dealer wanted $90 plus). Not sure how the tip became broken on old one - dealer removed head :-) Add all the other 'incidental' stuff - oil, filters, etc say $200

I removed the engine from the car and placed it on an engine stand. I didn't know that you could buy an "in chassis" kit. If I was doing it again on an engine under 100K, this is how I would do it .....

Drain coolant and oil.
Remove head and sump. (may have to lift engine from mounts).
Undo four bearing caps and push conrods up so pistons come out top of block.
Seperate old pistons from conrods and discard.
Fit new rings to new pistons with new gudgeon pins. (Be careful with rings - there is a top and a bottom side and MUST be fitted to the piston grooves as such).
Fit bearing slippers to conrod and cap.
For each piston .... Ensure crankshaft is at bottom of stroke, using ring compressor, fit each piston to cylinder and push down until it sits on crankshaft. Fit bearing cap and snug nuts.
When all pistons are fitted. Torque the bearing nuts. The kit tells you the settings.
Refit the sump.
When refitting the head make sure you have an 'O' ring AND THE GASKET between the front of the head and the back of the timing gear housing. (Some of you will remember that I posted that I HAD FORGOTTEN THE GASKET and had to remove the head a second time) :-(
That's about it. Beats having to crack the transmission and remove the whole engine.

I better post this before I lose it too !!

More to follow ....

Malcolm

living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 345784

Reply By: Eric Experience - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 21:22

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 21:22
Malcolm.
The reason the pistons cracked was most likely over boosting due to a dirty air flow unit, I hope you cleaned that before you started the motor. otherwise well done. Eric.
AnswerID: 345786

Follow Up By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 21:36

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 21:36
Hi Eric

At this stage I would have to be one of the most experienced forum users when it comes to the how's/why's and wherefore's of the blown up ZD30 engine. ;-)

You, of course, are absolutely CORRECT. The intercooler, hoses to turbo and half the air cleaner hose (closest to turbo) was all saturated with OIL. The intake manifold ports and galleyway was absolutely coked with oil and soot. Took me a few cans of degreaser and just saturating the parts, wash off and repeat until they were all clean. I also had to make a 'special' gasket for the EGR ;-) and touch-up another screw ;-).

I didn't have the security socket to remove the MAF Sensor but managed to (remove the four bolts) and spray the inside with CRC MAF Sensor Cleanser (Electrical spray is same stuff I believe).

Glad to post follow up

Malcolm
living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 613800

Reply By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 21:24

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 21:24
I finished up using the Nulon 15W-40 Oil.

In preparation for the NEW gauges I fitted a 'T' piece just under the turbo and screwed the oil sensor into the side facing down. I fitted a plug to the other whilst I wait for TJM to get me the oil pressure sender unit and gauges. (I have a slight oil leak at present). There is no way I can get a spanner on to the sender unit under the turbo so I'm thinking of getting a flexible oil line to screw in there and put the sender unit into the end of it. Then I'll have to 'fasten' it somehow. Any other suggestions.

I've now purchased a VDO EGT and boost gauge (0-30 psi), Oil Pressure (0-5 x100 kPa). Yeah I know! They said "that's how it comes 0-5".

I also have a couple of 12V VDO gauges which I'll use for the two batteries.

Wanted a three gauge Pillar Pod (like Chaz has) but TJM says they are no longer made and got a two gauge pod. There was no way I could fit the boost gauge into it without cutting the pod at the back of the gauge. No way. That would be ugly fix. TJM then found out from the pod manufacturer that they are only for 'electrical' gauges. Told them to keep the pillar pod. Now I have to work out where/how I am going to fit FIVE 52mm gauges. Any suggestions.

If you have any specific questions on my rebuild, fire away.

Malcolm
living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 345787

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Respectfully- Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 22:32

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 22:32
maybe you could insert one or two into the mob who said you could get a pillar pod ..............
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 613804

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 22:42

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 22:42
Try Autron for a 3 gauge pillar pod You might not like the price but whats another $150.

Try Ebay also have seen them on there at times.
I have 2 gauge one in which I have an Autometer EGT and oil pressure and they fitted OK

Can post a pic if you want It only cost $30 off Ebay Autobarn also sell them for about $36

FollowupID: 613806

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Respectfully- Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 22:54

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 22:54
yer shoot me a pic, 158 for the GU pillar pod on ebay......
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 613808

Follow Up By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 23:36

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 23:36
Graham

The one TJM got was 2 gauge pod for $190. It WAS from Autron Instruments. Part # AUT-001. They are the ones that said there's is only for electrical gauges. (Not deep enough).

Bonz

I refuse to use eBay. Ripped off too many times.

living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 613811

Follow Up By: Member - John - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 19:38

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 19:38
Malcom, I have a three gauge dash pod, got it on ebay, but think that Super Crap may have them also, about $25.00. Just screwed it to the dash. I plan to mount another one closer to the A pillar. The 3 gauge pillar pods will only fit two gauges, top one is not deep enough, even for an electric gauge. I have pics some where of dash mount, two gauge unit on my old ute, wagon is a three gauge pod.

Image Could Not Be Found.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 613898

Follow Up By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 10:40

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 10:40
Thanks for pic John

SC have a round single pod for $30. TJM suggested Autobarn. They also suggested that Autobarn could fit the gauges. I'm now wondering why I bothered going to TJM in the first place.

I'm thinking of making something to fit the 5 gauges and mount it in front of the steering wheel. But I'll have a look around Autobarn today.

Malcolm
living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 613960

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 19:28

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 19:28
Malcolm, good to see your vehicle going again. Im guessing you are going to sell it before it expires big time in the future?? Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

AnswerID: 345891

Follow Up By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 10:55

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 10:55
Hi Michael

Thanks.

The Nissan Patrol is one fantastic vehicle. Just have to understand the technical side of the engine. IMHO with the new gauges fitted I will be able to monitor things before anything goes wrong. It is over boosting that causes the problem with pistons. Control that and you should not have a problem.

I also have the NisTune software which allows me to monitor a number of things like: MAF; MAP; Injector timing; Fuel Temp, etc. Of course these things are only for "testing". No way I would be driving whilst trying to watch these little gauges (8 on a 9"" screen).

NO, I'm not selling it. Why would I want to do that. I've just rebuilt it. BUT, I will now be selling my 2003 ZD30 auto 150K. Never had any problems with it. May even sell my custom layout 2003 Regal Series II caravan with it as a package deal and then get another van/CT.

Malcolm
living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 613963

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 17:50

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 17:50
Malcolm,
There is no doubt there are plenty of happy 3L owners ,but after what you just went through, i think that would be enough for me.. I"m on my second 4.2 GU, the first has the best part of 400,000ks on it and still going like a train and my current has 260,000ks and runs perfectly with no special treatment. It would be all a bit stressful for me!! I hope it runs well into the distant for you..
Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

FollowupID: 614022

Sponsored Links