Towing with new vehicle

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 08:54
ThreadID: 65394 Views:2889 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings all.
Picked up my brand new Triton GLX/R diesel on Friday.Thought I'd pose the question to the learned fraternity on this site about when to start towing with it.
Salesman suggested having about 800kms on it to let brakes and other things bed in properly. (It has 98kms on it at present).He also said that diesels like to work ,just dont flog it to death first up.

Will be pulling a Jayco Eagle, so not real heavy.This is the first brand new car/diesel I've ever owned so some running in probably wouldn't be a bad thing?

Have a trip planned for next weekend approx 200ks from home.I still have the trusty falcon to do it with, but geeeeez it'd hurt to leave the new one at home.

Opinions please.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DIO - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 09:41

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 09:41
Check the owner's handbook. Suspect you'll find the relevant info in that.
AnswerID: 345823

Reply By: RobAck - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:46

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:46
DIO is correct when in any doubt particularly if you are about to do something that could void your warranty, then check the owners manual. I am absolutely sure you will find a piece of guidance on towing in the section on running in or whatever it will be called. Normally all manufacturers recommend no towing or heavy work for the first 500km.

RobA
AnswerID: 345830

Reply By: Notso - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:53

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:53
Yep, I've got one and there are instructions in the book.

Yours being a later model will possibly be different to mine, so I won't duck out to the truck to check what it says.

One thing I'd think seriously about is not towing in top gear if it's a manual. Or at least only tow in top at speeds over 90 odd kph on flat ground. Doesn't apply if its an auto as far as I know.

I've had mine for over two years and done about 50,000 mostly towing the 2 tonne van. It makes no noticeable difference to the fuel economy towing in 4th or top.

Enjoy, it's a super truck!

AnswerID: 345831

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 11:10

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 11:10
I dropped the Supreme getaway (a good 2.5T) on the back of my new cruiser back in 99 when it had 26km on the dial. I only had that truck for 18mths and 130 000km so I can't tell you if it made any difference over the long term but in the time I had it I only had people say "what have you done to make this thing go so good?" (it was only a 1HZ but went good for it's type) and all I could say was "I don't baby it and never have???? " maybe that's the answer??? I don't know.

My GU was run in to 1800 km before the van went on the back of it but if I needed to tow when it was brand spanking then I would have.

I just wouldn't sit on one set of revs or speed for any length of time with any new vehicle, I reckon it is wise to work them a little without over doing it. Not too many heavy vehicle operators run new trucks empty for a few thousand k's before the trailer is dropped on the back, same principal applies I reckon.

Enjoy your new truck as soon as you want, regards, Trevor.
AnswerID: 345833

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 12:02

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 12:02
The "traditional" advise is to avoid labouring a new (or re-built) motor, ie change down a gear earlier than normal.
Also, avoid long periods at the same speed.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 345839

Reply By:- Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 16:59

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 16:59
G'day,

I am not replying because I have any advice, rather I am interested in the Triton. When you have a few K's under your belt I wouldn't mind some feedback about how it performs.

I tow a CT and also have a tinny that needs to go on top of whatever vehicle I decide (If I get rid of my 4.5 Patrol!!!).

Happy Trails
Evan
AnswerID: 345872

Reply By: Juangio - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 19:45

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 19:45
Hi Landed Eagle looks like a great combo you have Iam a big fan of the eagle is it the off road version ? The family & i just spent 6 months ( five of us ) in ours travelling around Australia Let me just say with a treg hitch that eagle will go into and out of places that people with 50k camper trailers were amazed and suprised when we showed up

We have made some mods to our eagle if you want more info glad to help

good luck with the running in but have to say the way modern cars are now i do not think it is such a major issue

See ya

Eagle 1
AnswerID: 346213

Follow Up By: landed eagle - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 07:35

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 07:35
HI mate,
At the moment I'm using a '94 eagle on-road model. Had it for a few years and will be upgrading it soon. It has found its way into some out of the way places with careful towing behind a falcon wagon ,believe it or not!
Not 4wd stuff, but not where you expect to see a road car and van. :)
I've spoken to a couple of blokes with the same vehicle I've just bought and they all sing its praises. Seems a van on the back makes practically no difference to its economy.
I'll report back after a couple of trips.

cheers.
FollowupID: 614257

Sponsored Links