Satellite TV

Hi all,

We are looking into getting a satellite dish, any suggestions on where to start, what to buy..... is it worth the cost??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kiwi100 - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 13:23

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 13:23
Definitely worth the cost if you're spending time away from civilisation and like a bit of TV. Setting it up becomes very easy once you get used to it and you get the advantage of being able to tune into SBS and ABC in all states. If you miss the news in eastern states, just switch to the west and watch it a bit later.
We've found SatPlus to be pretty helpful and plenty of others seem to agree. They are in Melbourne and Brisbane and can send you a system with all the bits and instructions. I think you'll find them at www.satplus.com.au but do a search if that doesn't work.

Michael
AnswerID: 345990

Follow Up By: a convict - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 17:02

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 17:02
..might sound like silly question, but can one listen to ABC radio National with a Sat setup?

FollowupID: 614009

Reply By: Member - len W SWANSEA (NSW) - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 13:27

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 13:27
http://www.vansat.com.au/ plus sat plus are both good there is another in QLD that are also good but i cant find them at the moment definitely worth it i just wish i had one maybe one day...........len
AnswerID: 345992

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 14:19

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 14:19
You can choose a dish with the correct LNB (talk to your dealer) and set top box that will allow you to use your Foxtel Card (if you have Fox) as well as the usual free to air stuff.

Mine is called a Dreambox. Needs a PC to set it up so it takes a bit of learning (or you get a friend to do it !!).

With the correct LNB you can just take your Foxtel box and not worry about extra Free to Air, if you want to.

There's a whole new world of technology out there waiting for you to explore.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 346004

Reply By: RoyHarvey - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 15:14

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 15:14
We bought a kit like.......from.........

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CARAVAN-SATELLITE-KIT-OPTUS-CARD-FINDER-FREE-POSTAGE_W0QQitemZ290290801760QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Electronics_Satellite_Pay_TV?hash=item290290801760&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

The hardware is fine, we've had ours a little over 12 months and no problems with the equipment. (Think we paid $320)
Note however that our system was not tuned, and came with very minimal instruction, it took me several / many hours on and off to learn how to find and tune to a satellite. Very happy now!

Cheers Roy
AnswerID: 346014

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 17:25

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 17:25
I'm another with a Sat Plus (Caboolture) system. Might have paid $200 more than the cheapest available, but it is all good quality stuff. The tripod is very strong and galvanised and it comes with a digital satellite finder that others sell for around $100.

Comes with very good instructions and good phone support if you have trouble. I had some trouble early on.John (Sat Plus Caboolture) was very helpful. Couldn't solve the problem, so he asked me to send the control box back and he would replace it. Got the new one in 3 or 4 days and no trouble since.

We just receive the 'free to air' channels and that is plenty. Also heaps of radio available as well.

Link to Sat Plus web site.

Norm C
AnswerID: 346036

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 19:14

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 19:14
I have a vansat system and it was very easy to setup and use. The TV works great as does the radio channels.

Vansat site

The major problem for you will be how to carry the dish????

Alan
AnswerID: 346058

Follow Up By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 08:32

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 08:32
+1 for VanSat. They are in Mackay. QLD. At least you get a complete set of instructions on how to set the thing up. And believe me, the first time you do it, you need all the help you can get.

I upgraded my STB last year to dual voltage 12V/240V (actually they replaced the STB with a new later model. New one is actually 12V and uses a 240V power supply to convert to 12V).

Last year on my way to Brisbane with the van, the strap came loose on my widescreen computer monitor and the corner of the STB was touching on the glass screen. When I turned it on had crows feet all over the screen. Cost of replacement part was more than what it was worth to buy a new one. :-( Anyway, bought a new TV Set with inbuilt DVD and the lot runs on 12V just like the satellite STB. Now I have complete sat TV running on 12V.

Word of warning .... the cheapies are out there. Just make sure they have a valid card for the STB.

Malcolm
living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 614093

Sponsored Links