Wireless Tyre Pressure System

Submitted: Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 14:28
ThreadID: 65427 Views:3895 Replies:8 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
I am towing a tandem caravan with a L/C 200 Series and am after a tyre pressure system. Can anyone recommend any,I am looking at Tyredog,Autron and Sensa but there miight be others I should look at.
Regards Tony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Boobook2 - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 14:53

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 14:53
I read on one of these forums that the company that makes the Autron ones has got out of tyre sensors. You might want to check that. Also the tyredog ones have a good display for trailers. But not sure of the performance.
AnswerID: 346007

Reply By: Witchdoctor - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 14:57

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 14:57
I am running the Sensa model, also towing a tandem trailer. To date they are working great.

David
AnswerID: 346008

Reply By: Member - 1/2A - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 15:23

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 15:23
I also was going to go for a wireless tyre pressure system, but after reading all the different problems associated with the various systems I went for the manual type.
Tyre Checkers and they work just fine. They cost under $50 for six. All you have to do is do a walk around when you take your 2 hour brake and if you see green on the indicator away you go.
AnswerID: 346016

Follow Up By: x - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 09:53

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 09:53
1/2A

Sounds like a good system and the price sounds good, but I have heard of tyres going down in less than two hours which would reduce the usefulness of such a system - a bit like only checking coolant temperature every two hours.
Personally I have found the Smartire and Tiregard systems very reliable and effective.

FollowupID: 614100

Follow Up By: Member - 1/2A - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 11:03

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 11:03
Yes I agree but from what I understand the wireless versions seem to have a lot of issues, so you could be in a worse predicament. The wireless version seem to have more issues on the dirt and this is when they are required. All my tyre blow outs have occurred after I've some dirt and then the black stuff, so now before I sent off on the black stuff I stop and do a quick walk around and if all are green I'm off.
Arthur
FollowupID: 614109

Reply By: takenbyaliens (QLD member) - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 16:01

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 16:01
Hi Anthony
I am using tyredog but only on the vehicle but there is a model that has sensors for trailer etc. I have had a few issues with readouts although one always wonders if tyre gauges at servos actually ever read correctly anyway ( even the digital ones ! ).Yet to decide if it was really worth the money. Having said that the retailer is replacing the system for me this week as one/two of the sensors may be playing up....
According to modern astronomers, space is finite..a very comforting thought particularly for people who can never remember where they left things

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 346019

Follow Up By: Keenycruiser - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 17:15

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 17:15
Have a look at the tyre monitors put out by Affordable Batteries and Radiators, (Derek). They have a web-site and the monitor can read up to 22 tyres. I have recently got one from them and it seems to be working well.
FollowupID: 614011

Reply By: Member - Robert G (WA) - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 17:13

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 17:13
I am running atyre dog system at present. The first kit had a couple of dodgy sensors that gave incorrect pressure readings but was replaced under warranty with a new kit. The new kit has been great and I would recomend the set up. The only down sides I have found is that my kit only does 4 wheels (I think they have a new one that does 6 now) and the batteries seem to only last 4-5 months max.

I also have a sensatyre kit to do up to 10 wheels but I have elected not to sue iy as I am fitting intenal beadlocks and the senatyre internal sensors aren't compatable, so they will be sold. The whole senatyre kit looks pretty well made though and the manual is very comprehensive.
AnswerID: 346033

Reply By: RobAck - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 17:18

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 17:18
Have a look at the Schrader ones supplied by Repco in most states I think. This is the one you will find in your LC200 option list actually but you can get them much cheaper from Repco. They are a true pressure and temperature monitoring system (TPMS) and are much more cost efficient that the others mentioned on this thread, although that is in South Austrlia.

One thing that is not welll understood about TPMS is that it is normally, the temperature that provides the first indication of a puncture. The most common puncture is generally a sidewall failure and these are catastrophic as the sudden lost of a lot of air can cause a loss of vehicel control and then things get much worse.

Sidewall failures, in our experience, result from a very slow leak, often very hard or impossible to immediately detect. These comments apply to radial ply tyres on radial rims only. As the tyre pressure slowly goes down then at a particular point the friction caused by the deflating tyre causes a build up of heat and that blows out the sidewall. Similiar with a slow puncture from a nail or whatever but in these instances the deflation is much slower but at some point there will be a build up of heat.

Regards

RobA
AnswerID: 346035

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 18:47

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 18:47
Dereks webpage is www.sidewinder.com.au and his price is reasonable and he does have spare sensors.

I have a Kysonix TPMS and it works good has 8 wheels on screen and came with wheel specific monitors and preset for temp and pressures. Have two extra sensors that can be initialised to any wheel.
They do work ok and when I started at 4 am the temps were down enough to bring the alarm on. Soon came up after running a bit.

The pressures are accurate as I misread one when inflating second set of tyres and thought it said 40 instead of 30 and off went the alarm. Accurate to .1 with my manual gauge.

FollowupID: 614031

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 18:50

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 18:50
Should have added that there has been threads on here that have said that the battery clips in the sensors dont like corrugations and have been known to break off,
Suppose it depends if you are tarmacing or offroading
FollowupID: 614033

Follow Up By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 20:50

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 20:50
Hi Graham

We will have a signal booster available in mid Feb 2009 for cars fitted with cargo barriers or towing large vans.

Regards

Derek from ABR
FollowupID: 614049

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 22:46

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 22:46
Hi Derek Am off on our trip next week so if my cheap chinese ones crap I might be a customer

Cheers

FollowupID: 614067

Reply By: OzTroopy - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 12:31

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 12:31
I think the increasing reliance on all this electronic stuff is just great ........

Just imagine .... when the trailer wheel separates from the trailer ...

the flash little guage on the dash that saves you wandering around checking your vehicle tyres ( and subsequently -everything else ) ...

will register a loss of tyre signal/pressure whatever and let you know something is wrong ....

woo hoo - I want one.
AnswerID: 346153

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 12:58

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 12:58
A rather moot point. If you are stupid enough to be like that then you deserve what you get.

However its not much good getting out every 2 hours to check your tyres if half an hour down the road you get a puncture in a tyre on a tandem van. By the time you notice it the tyre will be destroyed..
Anything that helps prevent this is an asset.

Might I say ,with respect you have a very backward looking attitude to post such comments, sarcastic or jovial or whatever???????.

I will read my GAUGE with satisfaction after my walkaround knowng I will be aware of what might happen..

Cheers.

Remember he who has the most toys wins.

LOL
FollowupID: 614122

Follow Up By: OzTroopy - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 13:38

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 13:38
Baaaahaaahaaa ..... Good onya Graham H

My opening line was in reference to the "increasing reliance" of these types of items.

Bought and used as ANCILLARY equipment, if the extra costs are justified, lots of items can well be of ADDITIONAL benefit.

Not that I would trust anything 'completely', that relied on ... easily interfered with - radio transmissions.

My apologies for inability of these plain text posts being unable to display the sarcasm intended ....... Your right ... Im stupid ... imagine thinking that everybodies comprehension levels are the same.

"Remember he who has the most toys wins." or perhaps the least amount of funds to actually go anywhere ...

Happy Trails
FollowupID: 614129

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 14:30

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 14:30
Your not stupid really and I agree reliance upon technology can get you into strife.
All the toys I have are for a purpose and it may be overkill but whatever.

I have UHF,HF and a Satfone.
An alarm for loss of coolant and a digital temp gauge on the head (of the car) LOL
An EGT and an oil pressure gauge.
2 spares for each vehicle
Also the aforementioned tyre sensors.
After buying all that probably something totally different will strike me down
Murphys law raises its ugly head usually.

I did gather you were just having a lend as you Aussies say.

PS it helps having an independantly well off wife.

ROFL Lucky she doesnt read this forum

Cheers
FollowupID: 614136

Reply By: Member - David T (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 17:24

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 17:24
Hi Tony
I had the 4 wheel tyredog system and was very happy with it. The pressures shown were always within 1 psi of my digital pressure gauge.
Last year we bought a camper trailer and i wanted that covered too. A friend bought my old 4 tyre system and i bought a new 6 tyre one. Actually the 6 tyre one can monitor more tyres if you buy extra sensors. It takes literally less than a minutes to switch from 4 to 6 tyre monitoring so the unit is great with or without the trailer. They are not cheap but are easy to use, do not require tyre removal and in my experience are accurate. I recommend them.
No affiliation etc.. etc.

Cheers

Dave
AnswerID: 346189

Sponsored Links