testing my winch

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 02:49
ThreadID: 65445 Views:2923 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Image Could Not Be Found

This is the first time i really had to use my winch its a TJM 8,500lbs and it went with out fault, was under a lot of strain pulling me from one track to another, was bogged good in the first track. safest way out was crossing over. was wondering who else has a TJM winch and have you had any problem's i should be looking for ? Also my Kumo M/T's were bloody great in the mud, would recommend them to anyone about to buy new Muddy, these are the second set i have had. first set on this truck though.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 03:25

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 03:25
Bevan, Kumo M/T's couldn't have been that good or you wouldn't have needed the winch, lol. (Tongue firmly in cheek)
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 346109

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 08:14

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 08:14
I was thinking the same John..LOL!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 614090

Follow Up By: Member - Bevan (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 13:26

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 13:26
yeh could be true, but when you stuck on your diffs it makes the best tyres use less. maybe if i had some fat 35" i wouldnt of even stopped.
FollowupID: 614128

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 06:57

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 06:57
Hi Bevan,
If you want to learn more about your winch then you may like to get hold of some one with a DC clamp on amp meter. You will probably be very surprised at just how much current your winch requires. Do a few tests to see the difference between a single line and dbl line pull.

Find out what the max current is that your control relay system can handle.

Find out how long you can use your winch without overheating the control gear. Some makers of electronic relays state a duty time as a % . The control gear can get very hot and is rather expensive to replace !

Are you using wire or synthetic rope ?

AnswerID: 346111

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 09:08

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 09:08
Bevan,

Having a look at the photo I have picked up on a couple of things.

First as in another reply, you are using a single line pull. Very hard on the winch and battery.

Second, the front wheels are chucking up mud. Looks like you are trying to drive while winching. This pratice can shock load the winch.

Wayne

AnswerID: 346126

Follow Up By: Member - Bevan (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 13:23

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 13:23
i tried to pull myself over with out driving, but was just getting pulled down the track into a heap of shrubs and a tree, so had to drive a track while being pulled. i also started out on my diffs other wise i would have keeped driving the way i was going, i couldnt double up because the tree that was in line of where i wanted to go was at full lengh of my cable. buy full length i mean i still had 6 wraps around the drum. there was no real shock load on the winch 2 really little jerks, and i dont think i have seen anyone just try and pull them selfs with a winch with out driving, it just depends on how hard you drive.
FollowupID: 614125

Reply By: Von Helga - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 09:15

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 09:15
Bevan,
If you choose to drive and winch at the same then it is only a matter of time before you will not drive and winch at the same time any more... Trust me.
A little bit of gardening on the day would probably have allowed the wheels to track where you wanted them to go and there by remove the risk to your gear.
Have you payed out the whole of your cable at home since this trip and inspected the whole of the cable length, checking for possible crushed segments of the cable caused by the shocks when driving and winching?
AnswerID: 346994

Follow Up By: Member - Bevan (QLD) - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 08:52

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 08:52
My cable already had flat spots, the first time i used it. i just pulled my self up my mates driveway, was not very steap and just the load of my truck on the cable being pulled in flattened it out. and going to get the rope cable next month. there was not back lash on the winch. but i belive you have to drive to get out in some cases. like driving out of shotgun on the telagraff track. have not done it, but seen enough videos and they all drive while they are doing it. everyone i have seen has drivin when winching.
FollowupID: 615338

Sponsored Links