80 Series Cruiser front diff

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 17:40
ThreadID: 65495 Views:2800 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'day

I need a new front diff (from disc to disc) on my '94 FZJ80 and am looking at one from a diesel HZJ80 - Anyone know if they are interchangeable? Do they have the same ratios and flanges and all that?

I currently have a full time 4WD and am looking at getting the free wheeling hub version then drop in the Marks adaptors kit to go to part time 4WD. Any comments?

And yep, I need the whole kit, not a rebuild- I have backlash, wandering steering, crushed brake lines, a siezed calliper, bent and siezed tie rods, a bent diff housing... Failing that, any one got a front diff from a FZJ80 for sale?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 19:41

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 19:41
Hi Bennspoon,
Ya best bet would be to ask the at LCOOL when it come to 80's
They know the ducks guts when it comes to 80 Series.
AnswerID: 346413

Reply By: dindy - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 21:08

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 21:08
Why do you want to go to hubs and part time 4wd, I have had a number of 4bys with hubs and recon this is a great system both on the black top re handling and in the rough stuff especially in wet and muddy conditions. How did you break the existing diff?
AnswerID: 346439

Follow Up By: bennspoon - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 13:34

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 13:34
I want hubs so I can get rid of the driveline backlash, reduce front tyre wear and drift- If you have a car that you can unlock the front on I dont really expect you to understand the last one :)

Also when I hit boost on a slippery road with the centre diff unlocked, one front wheel just smokes up and flicks rocks every where instead of me actually accellerating- Its dangerous in the wet on the blacktop coz I get killer understeer when it happens unexpectedly.

Existing diff was bent from Newton's 3rd law, which then chews out inner axle oil seals leaking diff oil into the swivel hubs and contaminating the high temp grease and cooks bearings. The lines were pinched from getting hung up rock crawling and the steering I think from just years of abuse... And dont snatch in reverse. Ever.

FollowupID: 614557

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 21:40

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 21:40
G'day again bennspoon,
I've been asking myself why would you want to get rid of your full time 4WD. I reckon it's great. The weekend just gone a group of us traveled about 250k through some ever changing road surfaces and I, personally wouldn't have it any other way, but full time 4WD.
The old girl felt so shore footed on all surfaces. I love the idea that I don't have to get out in the rain/mud to lock in hubs.
Anyway, the choice is yours, and the guys at LCOOL will be able to help with your technical questions on how to do it. Also check out their classifieds, there is always a lot of stuff for sale there.
Sound like you have your work a head of you replacing the lot.
What did happen to it?
AnswerID: 346452

Follow Up By: bennspoon - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 13:39

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 13:39
Reasons above... The final straw was a couple of snapped studs on the steering knuckle- just glad I noticed them before something bad happened. Yeah I'll miss the not getting feet muddy to lock in the hubs, but at least I wont have to blow another sunday rebuilding yet another hub after I get a new straight housing.
FollowupID: 614561

Reply By: qubert - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 22:06

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 22:06
there is one on ebay
AnswerID: 346459

Follow Up By: bennspoon - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 13:42

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 13:42
Cheers.
Had a look- theres 3x rears, but no fronts- must have already sold.
FollowupID: 614562

Sponsored Links