Ultimate campers - Question for owners

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 21:36
ThreadID: 65531 Views:8157 Replies:6 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at the possibility of getting an Ultimate Camper, most likely second hand. I am aware from searching the forum that there a few people on hear that are owners. As there is no where close to have a look at any, and I want to do some homework before the camping shows later in the year, I wonder if those that have one would mind answering or providing comments on the following:

- When you pack it up the bedding has to come off the bed, but what happens to the mattress, which looks like 3 pieces from the photo's I've seen.

- The question on the what if packing up with wet canvas. Ultimate's web site says the roof envelopes itself, but what about the walls. Has anyone had any problems with this issue, or having to take some form of precaution.

- From the past threads, the ball weight when empty is light. But once the front boot is packed with all your goodies it goes up. Do Ultimate state a maximum weight for the front boot, or is it just up to the user to pack appropriately so that there isn't excessive weight on the hitch?

- Can you easily carry firewood. Sometimes for some camps you have to pick up fire wood if you want it before arriving, and having a wagon, without a roof rack, makes this a bit difficult.

- Some in the past threads claim the benches are "low". What is low is subjective, but appears to be similar to whats in the Jayco wind up things. Could someone tell me what the internal bench height is.

- Where do you find the best place to carry your clothes.

- What is access to the storage under the lounge like. Is there room for a porta potti? I note Ultimates web site lists as an option for new ones a 'Internal locker door (toilet locker).

Thanks in advance to the owners who respond with comments. I appreciate it.

Unfortunately I'm not after comments from non owners who are of the opinion that are overpriced, ugly, etc. Everybody's needs/wants are different and I respect that.

Thanks
Shane
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Inland Sailor - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 22:25

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 22:25
Pretty easy to answer these questions.

1.The matresses are placed on the lounge/second bed.

2, Rain, I've almost forgotten what that is. But if it is ever to rain again, just use a plastic drop sheet [$5.00] over the mattresses and this does the job.

3, It does show a gross weight on the compliance plate. 1250kg I think, but you will be well under the ball weight of most 4wd's.

4. Firewood can be carried on the roof of the camper or in the boot.

5. I measured the height to the top of the cushion at 460mm.

6. Clothes go in the foot locker compatments under the lounge.

7. Porta Potti goes in the rear external locker on the Left side. If the camper doesn't have internal access to this locker, it can be retro fitted.

We've travelled well over 60'000 km in ours and have enjoyed every minute of owning our "Ulti".
It's reputation is well earned and deserved.

AnswerID: 346657

Reply By: Member - Kevin J (Sunshine Coa - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 22:39

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 22:39
Shane,

Check www.campertrailers.org.au

There are lots of owners on that forum and likely to be an ultimate for sale as well.

Kevin J
AnswerID: 346661

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 23:09

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 23:09
Hi Shane
We are ultimate owners for almost seven years.
We had an off road Jayco prior and broke a cable at Mitchell falls ad had to tent it for the next four weeks till we got home and that was the end of the Jayco.
Q1. Three separate mattresses pack on top of each other on the lounge. The bed is square so we assemble them either across or along the bed with a fitted sheet over with a doona. Never had a problem folding up wet or maybe a half cup on the floor. No wet beds.
Q2. I pack my boot well, Chain saw, 40 lts. diesel, camp ovens, 10i genny,cobb cooker, rake, some kitchen spares,axe,jimmy's thunderbox and some fan belts radiator hoses plus other incidentals. ball weight has not been an issue. I do know that when the boot is empty I can lift it on to its back side an it stays there.
Q3.Firewood, Ultimates come with Rhino roof racks so a light weight basket would carry that. I have a piece of trawler net rolled up across my bull bar and when we gather firewood we unroll the net onto the ground place the wood on top a tie the net up of the ground with prelocated short ropes.
Q4. The bench height is the same as the jayco was. I'm six foot and it does not worry me.
Q5. Clothes have ample space in the under lounge lockers. Best stuff is in a striped bag in the car.
Q6. The Dunny. Some have a porta potti some do not. The potti is kept in the rear lh. locker and can be accessed from inside. At order time you have to say you want an inside door. We use that locker for our day pack ie tea coffee etc couple of plates knives pepper salt so we can access it on the road without lifting the lid but you can still get the fridge without lift ing the lid. As I mentioned we have a Jimmys thunder box instead of a potti.
They are not overpriced. They are functional, reliable, exceptionally comfortable, easy to keep clean and maintain and I could sell mine for what I paid for it seven years ago. Remember this, a trip to Kimberlys for twenty days exceeds $6000 each and you will sleep on the ground.
Any more questions Shane ask me.
Regards
Stan

Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 346672

Reply By: paulnsw - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 23:46

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 23:46
had an Ultimate for 18 months and glad to get shot of it. Bought a Supreme Getaway caravan. Pop the roof and everything is done. Stop for lunch smoko anything nothing to unpack. Leave in the morning pull down the roof close the door done. Great thing the wife now likes going away. Wife hated the Ultimate for all the extra work it created to pack lunch. I call it the Ultimate nightmare. Ultimate campers often going cheap on Trading Post at times.
AnswerID: 346679

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 08:57

Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 08:57
Each to their own of course....... but if you've been able to do your holidaying in a caravan, it stands to reason you didn't need an Ultimate in the first place.

They are not meant to be as convenient as a full size/pop top caravan......they ARE meant to be able to be taken to places so remote that you wouldn't be able to get there with a normal van in tow.

Horses for courses.

Roachie (who has owned Ultimate for 10 years and loved every minute of it).
FollowupID: 614729

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 19:11

Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 19:11
So, how do you stop to make a cup of tea & a sandwich?
FollowupID: 614809

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 19:36

Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 19:36
Shaker,
It's just a matter of being organised........
We carry a thermos flask with boiled water..... I also carry a el-cheapo gas cooker (one of those $20- jobbies in a plastic carry case) and a kettle that we also use on the fire.
In a milk-crate-size plastic tub, we carry any other various items needed. Sandwiches are made in the morning and kept in the box or the Engel fridge in the back of the Patrol as required.
Organisation also sees to it that my better half usually gets the evening meal started at breakfast time; cooking the basics and using the Dreampot to complete the cooking cycle as we travel. By the time we arrive at camp, dinner is served!!!

As I said earlier, it's all a matter of compromise. I have done a lot of travelling and seen a lot of set-ups of other people. EVERY single one has good points and not-so-good points (I'll refrain from saying "bad"). In other words every traveller has to make allowances and compromises.

If you want to travel with all the mod-cons, you can get a motorhome or a flash-harry wobbly-box with built-in, hot & cold running blondes or whatever your heart desires..... But; you won't get far in your attempts to get up the Hay River trek with that outfit.

Similarly, you can get a (for example) Kimberly Kamper or T-Van. Both are great trailers and, like the Ultimate, can go anywhere you care to tow it/them. ..... But the compromise is that your kitchen is outdoors (which is probably great 99% of the time). Our kitchen is inside the trailer, but we do 99% of our cooking outside on the fire or gas-heated BBQ plate; only resorting to inside cooking in inclement weather etc. Sure, the other 2 I mentioned have the option of setting up an awning over the cooking area.

Please note, I'm not bagging any brand of trailer/caravan etc. It's purely a personal choice thing. The bloke who asked the original question specifically asked that non-owners of Ultimates not bother themselves with making negative comments.....

Roachie
FollowupID: 614815

Follow Up By: Member - Traveller (QLD) - Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 19:36

Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 19:36
Simple! We carry our lunch and cuppa stuff in the car fridge or the small fridge in the Ulti boot. Sometimes we carry a flask of hot water, other times we boil up on a coleman burner. No big deal really!
We're on our second Ulti. Tried a well known 3.5 tonne off road caravan in between, felt like a monkey on the back, just too heavy and close to 20 l/100km.
Missus loves our second Ulti, I love the 12l/100km.

As the Roachmiester says; To each their own!

Cheers
FollowupID: 614816

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 20:38

Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 20:38
I am sure that they are very good, no doubt!

But I think they would have been even better with an external pull-out kitchen. I can think of nothing worse than cooking inside a small camper.
Australian Offroad Campers, another excellent camper, have stuck with external kitchens, even on their new semi-caravan model.
FollowupID: 614829

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 20:59

Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 20:59
Yep, and that's the beauty of choice..... every person/couple who have bought an Ultimate have been fully aware of the situation regarding cooking facilities and have chosen to accept this as being okay. Other people look at it and say "no way" to the cooking option of the Ultimate.

We don't cook inside very often, but it's nice to have the option there for those occasions that you do need or desire it. There is certainly nothing in the owners manual that says you MUST cook inside. hahahahaha. Most of the Ulti owners I know, prefer to cook outside anyway..... on a fire if possible.

The most feable derogatory comment I heard from one couple as to why they didn't buy an Ultimate was that he would have to go up and down the steps around 3 times during the packing-up process..... hahahaha

Anyway, I'll finish where I began....each to his/her own..... you pays your money; you makes your choices..... I've yet to come across anybody who said the good folk at Ultimate held a gun to their head and forced them to buy their product.
FollowupID: 614836

Follow Up By: Wayne David - Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 23:07

Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 23:07
Shaker - I'm with you on not liking the Ultimate's indoor kitchen set-up. But they're a top looking piece of gear eh? Beautiful looking and aerodynamic as.

Our's is the Kimberley Kamper and while we actually prefer the outdoor kitchen set-up, we carry a small camp stove in case we ever need it indoors in an emergency. So far there's been no need.

Id reckon that each camper trailer has it's good and it's bad points. The KK is as tough as teak, easy to set-up (2 minutes for the quick overnight version) and tows beautifully. Downside seems to be that it's damn heavy. Not too sure but I'd reckon ours is around 1100kg.

The Ultimate looks a lighter CT to tow. I wonder if it is.
FollowupID: 614866

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 23:34

Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 23:34
If the perfect camper trailer had been designed .... we would all have one!

I think the Ultimate is around 850kg, so it's not light.
FollowupID: 614870

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 08:46

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 08:46
850kg is the dry weight. GVM is around 1250kg, which isn't difficult to reach and breach.
FollowupID: 614896

Reply By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 09:18

Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 09:18
Shane, we were in the same situation as you before buying our ulti a year ago. The great Bill Roach put us in touch with ulti owners nearer to us and that helped no end. So I was just wondering where you are. Through the ulti forum I could ask if there is anyone close etc. You'll find most ulti owners would be very happy to give you a look at their pride and joy. cheers
AnswerID: 346702

Reply By: sonny - Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 22:46

Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 22:46
Thanks everyone for your replies.

jdwynn, the closest semi major town to me is Toowoomba, Qld.

AnswerID: 346807

Follow Up By: Member - Traveller (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 07:50

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 07:50
sonny, we're within 60 minutes of Toowoomba. You're welcome to have a look at ours. Message me or provide a contact and I'll get back to you.
FollowupID: 614886

Follow Up By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 10:02

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 10:02
Sonny, sounds like Traveller can assist you. If that doesnt work out or is too far, let us know and we'll try the ulti forum. With 850 running around the country sure to be one close/passing. cheers
FollowupID: 614904

Follow Up By: sonny - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 09:22

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 09:22
Thanks Traveller.

I can be contacted through, sth872 at yahoo dot com dot au.

Regards
Shane
FollowupID: 615111

Sponsored Links