Gearbox whine

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 21:03
ThreadID: 6556 Views:1657 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I asked this question on another forum, but the respondents all went wierd and got off on a tangent about Steve Irwin and whether Toyotas are better than Nissans - anyway hope I can get a sensible response here.

One week ago I had the 5th gear in my GU Patrol replaced due to
spline failure. Since then I have noticed that in the mornings (cold
at the moment) when I first take off, that there is a high pitched
whine that appears when I back off on the accelerator. This high
pitched whine lasts for about 5 to 10 minutes until I guess all the
parts warm up.

If anyone has experienced this noise after work on the gearbox, my
questions are:

1. Is this going to be a problem that I need the dealer to look at?
2. Will it go away as the gearbox "settles" with its new parts?
3. Why does it go away after about 5-10 minutes?

I have burnt my bridge to a certain extent with the dealer, as it
took 5 days to fix the gearbox after I was assured it would only take
two. So I do not really want to go back if this is not going to be a
problem and the noise will simply go away.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mixo - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 21:47

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 21:47
Know what you mean about the other forum. Re the noise, I'm not into gear boxes - leave that to others who may know such things, but whether it was warranty OR you paid, you must go back and log a workshop job with them. You need some paper in your hand to say that you have brought it in for a follow up inspection re the noise - they will say "she'll'' be ok mate" of course - but you need that paper to prove that you had it back in for that specific reason. A repair is supposed to be a repair - not a different problem. They can inspect it, test drive it, report on the worksheet, log it in their system and give you a copy, no charge.Gotta have red sand on those boots !
AnswerID: 27802

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 22:02

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 22:02
Peter,
I agree with Mixo, burnt bridges or not get one of those floating pontoon things, gearboxes don't fix themselves you are best going back a telling someone that all is not well and isn't as you thought it would be, register a concern, once you've logged the problem that gets recorded against you vehicle, a paper acknowledgement would also be useful.
With regard to things warming up I suspect you will be right about that, as to what it is, could be a syncro or something like that I'm guessing. Nothing would be worse than turning up at the dealership when the gearbox craps out and the service manger saying "You should of brought it straight back when you noticed the whine initially". Take it back.Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 27811

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 22:06

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 22:06
Yep.. Let them know and let it be logged in their records at least........ You MUST tell them asap......_____________________________________________

Reply By: Eric - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 22:07

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 22:07
Petpras.
When a gear box is removed for repiar many other items are disterbed in the process, like hand brake, exhaust, drive shafts, clutch , so try to narrow it down to a paticular item but definitely notify the dealer. Eric.
AnswerID: 27814

Reply By: rolux1983 - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 23:13

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 23:13
Hi Peter
I am a mechanic and totally aggree with the others .It did'nt do it before so it should'nt do it now.The dealer is suppose to fix it , if your not happy with the job, you keep taking it back until it's fixed properly.In answer to your questions
1) i believe it will be
2) maybe but why void your warrenty for the vehicle or if you paid for it , the warrenty for the job itself.
3) could be settling of new parts ,but why risk it.

Good luck
AnswerID: 27825

Reply By: petprass - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 23:48

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 23:48
Thanks for all your responsible replies - I will notify the dealer tomorrow. Does any one have one of those portable bridges handy??

Peter
AnswerID: 27830

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 07:56

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 07:56
Hi Peter
If the dealer does not give you a satifactory answer:

If you are a member of RACV NRMA etc then they provide an inspection service and report which you can then take back to the dealer for action.

Otherwise if you have another dealer in the area and the vehicle is under warranty, just take it them and complain about noise and get them to look at it.

Also Nissan have a rep that comes out to the dealers to look at warrantee problems that the dealer is having problems with, ask if you can meet with them.

Regards Ray
wanderin' in retirement. victor 2010
FollowupID: 19195

Reply By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 10:37

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 10:37
Just think out loud - and I don't have a 3.0ltr (mine is 2.8tdi) - but when it is really cold down here especially in the minuses - I let my truck warm up a little and this include the gearbox, just to get the juices flowing a bit more thinly. To do this I put the transfer case into neutral and select 4th gear - just lets the box idle over a bit to warm things up. Done this for years even back in the '60s with the old LR and C1600 International.
AnswerID: 27848

Reply By: Tony - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 13:05

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 13:05
If all else fails take it up to Bourke and park it in the main street come back in a hour and all the "wine" will be gone no sweat.
AnswerID: 27872

Follow Up By: petprass - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 13:31

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 13:31
as a matter of fact, that is what happened to us in Uluru - the locals helped themselves to the white wine. Didn't touch the red and when I asked the local ranger, he said that they don't like the stuff.
FollowupID: 19227

Sponsored Links