Navigation aid positions

Hi
Is there any legal obligations that need to be met when installing a navigation aid, can it be mounted anywhere on the windscreen?
I would imagine that it would be against the law to operate while travelling but does the law specify where it can be mounted.
I have heard that a navigation screen is the only screen that can be observed while travelling is this correct?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: _gmd_pps - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 11:41

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 11:41
Law bans the use of "visual display unit in or on the vehicle operating while the vehicle is moving, or is
stationary but not parked, if any part of the image on the screen—
(a) is visible to the driver from the normal driving position;or
(b) is likely to distract another driver."
This restriction specifically exempts GPS units, dispatch systems, video monitoring systems (reversing cameras) and vehicle monitoring aids but does not exempt multimedia devices.

mounting on windscreen must not obscure vision

good luck
gmd
AnswerID: 346856

Follow Up By: joeblogs - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 16:55

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 16:55
Thank you for that information gmd_pps but were on the windscreen does not obscure your vision surely it could be argued that it will block some of your vision no matter were you mount on the windscreen.
If there is a crack on the screen it is not RWC if the wiper blades pass over the crack, so if it was mounted were wiper blades do not cross would this be acceptable?
FollowupID: 615002

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thoughtfully- Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 17:05

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 17:05
I have my GPS mounted in the bottom right hand side of the windscreen and it doesn't seem to obscure much there at all. WHen I do bush trips I have the PDA mounted bottom middle of the screen. most of the background is just dash or bonnet but if you were a little shorter than me then it would be well in the view.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 615005

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 16:26

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 16:26
Interestint to read the last part of gmd_pps's post, I seen on TV yesterday where TV will be soon available on Mobile phones , I'd hate to contemplate the cost but we can all bet there'll be some clowns out there that will have it sitting on the dash watching some soapie while on the way home from work and or watching Sunrise on 7 going to work..The Towies will be kept busy ,
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 346910

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 11:18

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 11:18
Doug,

many MANY years ago my sister was seeing a fellow who had bought a 12V tv (I think) overseas somewhere. He was stopped by the police while driving home one night and booked as he was watching the Sunday Night Movie while the TV was parked on his passengers seat. Apparently the cop couldn't believe what he swas seeing! And the bloke was rather indignant that the cop booked him!

Some people 'eh???

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 615140

Sponsored Links