Do they have a timing belt ??

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 14:58
ThreadID: 65569 Views:2392 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Mate is having a look at an NP 2003 pajero 3.2 T/diesel, it has 98 thousand on it. At the moment he is negotiating the price and was just wondering do these have a timing belt that need to be replaced, if so, what klms is it due at ??? Is the 100 thousand service a big one like most vehicles ??? And any thing else he should be aware of ?? He currently has an 92 model pajero and is trading in. Any help would be appreciated in regards to this. WHG
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 15:10

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 15:10
They have a chain that doesn't need replacing, however the top chain guide MUST be checked at the 100k service. These have been known to wear through, allowing the chain to wrap on itself and break.
AnswerID: 346888

Reply By: psproule - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 18:16

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 18:16
Good advice re checking the top chain guide. They are cheap and easy to get at to change so it wouldn't put me off it. No other real vices - a tough little motor that is both grunty and surprisingly frugal. On a freeway run ours can return 8.5L/100km.

I'd suggest he look for a 2004 or later though because it will have all the traction control etc, and (having also owned a pre TC model) I can tell you it works very well off-road. & dont listen to those that say late Pajeros cant go places off-road. A couple of basic mods and they are much more capable than people give them credit for - particularly with TC.

Lots of info at http://www.pajeroclub.com.au/home/publicforum/

Pat
AnswerID: 346924

Reply By: Wherehegon - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 18:53

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 18:53
Thanks all, I sent the information to him in regards to getting it checked and no belt/chain replacement needed. He got back to me and has decided not to purchase it. It had oil dripping from bellhousing (engine oil) quit a noticable clunk from the drive line when off and on the throttle and roof lining damaged. Doesnt it s h i t you when you ring them up, yeah mate in excellent condition, fully workshop checked and serviced a real dream pajero (caryard). He had to drive just over an hour and a half to go and have a look at it grrrr. He did love the power it had said it was very comfortable but said it didnt have the TC only ABS. It did have an electric brake controller so wether it has towed some extremely heavy load or not and this has put considerable strain on the drive line causing the clunk who knows, it shouldnt but. More searching to be done. Thanks again.
AnswerID: 346932

Follow Up By: psproule - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 21:06

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 21:06
The do have a lot of backlash. And I mean a lot. But I woud have avoided it too wit a rear main leak + evidence of heavy towing. They are popular as a caravan tug so be wary.
FollowupID: 615053

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 21:30

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 21:30
Even though we have a sales division I don't trust used car dealers. Most private sellers don't go to the same trouble to cover faults. Just got my mate to go over the new 03 Nullarbor , about the only thing we could find is the front shocks are to soft, which is strange as it has only done 76000ks, mine has orinigals still at 140000ks and are much better.Swmbo will not let me drive it on a dirt road at the moment so fat chance of trying it out offroad. lol
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 615056

Sponsored Links