GPS

Would like to buy a GPS. Has anyone used the Hemma GPS or one similar?
Is the hemma easy to use? Want one that we can use in the city and out in the bush? Can the Hemma be connected to my laptop?
Friends have a megallan explorer but we find this difficult to use.
Thank you
Janet
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Isuzumu - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 17:08

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 17:08
Hi Janet, I do not have a Hemma, but I do have a Garmin Nuvi 760 with OzTopo and Shonky maps, I also have an old Magellan Meridian Gold, and have just purchased a Ausu Eee PC 900 8.9 inch screen with Solid State drive. so your thinking whats this guy going on about....as I see it and I have not used the Hemma but there maps would just be the same as the Hemma Maps that they have on on paper, where the Garmin and Magellan have a lot more tracks on them. I use NatMap with OziExplorer on the Eee PC and they are not as detailed as the Garmin etc.
So what I am doing is putting the Magellan DiscoverAus maps on the Eee PC just for the bigger screen, using a GPS Mouse on that one.
There is another GPS out now I run across on E.Bay the other day with Nat Map and OziExplorer on it as well as a street one (Aus product I believe) for $650. So there is a lot of different ways to go, hope it has been of some help.

Cheers Bruce
PS the wife said I am not allowed any more GPSs but I said darling we don't want to get lost hahahahahaha
AnswerID: 346917

Reply By: takenbyaliens (QLD member) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 17:54

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 17:54
see thread 65539 might be of some help
According to modern astronomers, space is finite..a very comforting thought particularly for people who can never remember where they left things

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 346921

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 17:57

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 17:57
Hi Janet,
there are so many options out there it can be mind boggling! I spent several months looking at all sorts of options; but it boils down to what you need it for, and what you are going to do with it.

All GPS's have their +'s and -'s, their quirks and limitations; just look at several in your price range and compare them. To best of my knowledge Hemma doesn't connect to a laptop for moving map display. You can do that for $85.00 with a GU-353. I ended up buying a garmin 60csx because of the deal GPSOZ had going. Then loaded 3rd party maps I already owned or got for free on the internet. No matter what you buy, you are going to have to spend some time learning how to use all the various features... it takes practice. Hope this helps,
Fred B
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 346923

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Thoughtfully- Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 23:10

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 23:10
Hi Janet sounds like you need the Garmin Nuvi 760 or something similar. City Navigator for the street and Shonky maps or something like that for the bush.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 346964

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 23:28

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 23:28
Janet

I use a HP iPAQ 312 it has voice guided street mapping.

I have Oziexplorer CE loaded with Natmap and Hema maps. For anywhere out of major towns or off the Stuart Highway.

There are many different products out there but if you intend to travel off the blacktop make sure you can use Oziexplorer or a similar program as the street mapping software is useless.

Tjilpi

Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 346966

Reply By: DIO - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 09:56

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 09:56
Garmin Nuvi 760 - better maps. You can aso download (free) Tracks 4 Australia and Shonky maps. Between them they will provide adequate off road navigation - for most users.
AnswerID: 347004

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 17:48

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 17:48
Its a Hema not a Hemma and a Mio520 will do the same things for half the price

As Stated a Garmin 760 is probably the way to go.

FollowupID: 615254

Sponsored Links