Burrendong or Mookerawa?

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 16:54
ThreadID: 65573 Views:3672 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hello There, we haven't been to Burrendong nor Mookerawa but are in there as soon as its cool enough with the old troopy and the Van.

Has anyone been there that can point us in the right direction as to which is the best spot?
Are the roads in Caravan friendly?

We are totally self contained and like the bush and relative isolation away from the you-know-who's.

Cheers

Seakarvan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 17:31

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 17:31
Hi,

We have not actually stayed at either but checked out both on our way through to Dubbo Western Plains Zoo.

Neither of the two impressed us, very open and a hell of a long way down to the water due to the drought. The water levels are very low. The other "turn off" for us was the plethora of ski boats about the place.

If you wish to park your van in relatively close proximity to the amenities then you are virtually obligated to get in your vehicle and drive to get to the waters edge.

At the time we had a soft floor tent trailer and ruled it out as a camping location due to the lake surrounds being very rocky with no grassed areas.

Yes, the place is caravan friendly from the point of view of access but if you are looking for isolation away from the "you know who's" then I would suggest our look elsewhere.

Remember that each persons observations will invariably differ. By all means go along and check out both, should you not find them attractive its an easy matter to move on. I think that what I'm saying is check it out, but do so having a contingency plan in place.

We collect our new custom built van at the end of March but will not go back to Burrenendong Dam which to us is a bit of a disappointment as we are keen impoundment fisher people.

Ian
AnswerID: 346919

Follow Up By: Seakarvan - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 17:45

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 17:45
Thanks Ian,

I showed the wife the "Google Earth" view of Burrendong etc and it showed the distance from the previous shore to the drought stricken current one. This must be a concern for us all. I may, based on your advice leave the van at Wellington and go have a look first.

Again, thanks for your help

Cheers

Seakarvan
FollowupID: 615013

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 21:24

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 21:24
Hi Seakavan,

No need to leave the van at Wellington, you can have a drive around look at both sites with the van in tow.

Perhaps you may give us an idea as to what your are looking for; a quiet getaway, a fishing spot etc; etc: Tell us your starting point and your intended driving range, your interests and that sort of thing. You may then get some interesting suggestions as to destinations and camping spots. I have experienced a few lovely camping spots from the forum. A really nice guy called Lindsay from Tuross Heads was kind enough to share a lovely NSW South Coast Spot with me via a member message. I've not been able to get in contact with him due to my computer crashing and wiping out my data.

There are a heap of beaut people here who will assist without any thought of obtaining a benefit.

Regards,

Ian
FollowupID: 615055

Follow Up By: Seakarvan - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 15:31

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 15:31
Hello Ian,
Yes mate I agree, bloody decent people from an Australia I once new seem to have all congregated on this site.
We just sold our boat and we both love fishing but I'm new to the fresh water species coming from the salt. Bushwalking, and getting away from it all in good spots is what we like. The simple things like a campfire, burning a damper or two and wildlife.
Cheers and Thanks,
Seakarvan
FollowupID: 615197

Reply By: Madfisher - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 18:36

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 18:36
Actually the water is higher then it has been. Arround 26% last time i checked(water info site) Last year it was below 10%. Has been fishing well I hear, good yellowbelly and redfin and some silvers and Cod. The water skiers are a pain in all the low attitude dams thats why I go to the high country a lot. Mid week is your best bet.It is getting to thje stage where their is bad blood between the skiers and fishers because of their rude and inconsiderate behaviour of a lot of skiers. At lest the new skier boats are quiter but then they add ghetto blasters.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 346928

Follow Up By: Seakarvan - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 15:41

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 15:41
Hi Madfisher,
Mate one word put me right off the place; Ski Boats! Napalm in the morning is one thing but V8's resonating through the valley's is not our thing.
Cheers
Seakarvan
FollowupID: 615204

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 15:56

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 15:56
Yes Seakarvan,
I can relate to that. Go for a nice peacefull day and you might as well be at mt Panorama on race day.
Dunns Swamp is a lovelly spot, 4 knot limit and a very pretty little lake and some nice Golden and Silver Perch.
The skiers also do not like the Snowy dams, to cold and to hard to launch. Yet to see one on Tantangra, but you will not get a big van in their although a camer trailer would be fine.
Have a look on fishnet lots of info their and they hate skiers bigtime.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 615209

Follow Up By: Seakarvan - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 16:16

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 16:16
Hi Pete,
Thanks mate, I've only got a 17 footer Pop-Top with plenty of ground clearance. The old Troopie has a PTO and Lockers with a Tinnie on the top but I'm like you; going further each trip to find peaceful fishy places.
Cheers
Seakarvan
FollowupID: 615218

Sponsored Links