Generators and Televisions

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 17:19
ThreadID: 65575 Views:3975 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Just got a cheap Woolworth generator which is a two-stroke and will only be used on a relatives property. The grandkids advise me that TV reception is available (another missus conspiracy I feel)

My impeccable Honda had a two "phase? knob that allowed DVD/TV/PC's to be used without drama. Lowered the Hz or something.
So, does anyone know if "Chinese oil burner" 650 - 850W can be used to fire up a flat screen TV without damage?

Cheers

Seakarvan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cram - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 18:16

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 18:16
Mate, I am no expert and I am sure you will get a reply from someone who knows more then me but I would be apprehensive about using the "chinese oil burner" to run anything valuable.
AnswerID: 346925

Reply By: disco driver - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 18:17

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 18:17
Hi Seakarvan,
Electricals is not part of my expertise but one thing I DO know is that the cheaper versions of generators are DEFINITELY NOT compatible with electronic devices like flat screens etc.

How can I be so emphatic about this??

I did what you are proposing and my flat screen TV went R*t S**t when I turned it on.

IMHO it is not worth the risk.

Disco.
AnswerID: 346926

Follow Up By: Seakarvan - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 18:24

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 18:24
Great News Disco,

That means the bloody Genny/ TV can stay off!

Seriously mate, your experience has taught us both a lot

Thanks

Seakarvan
FollowupID: 615021

Reply By: oldtrack123 - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 20:32

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 20:32
Hi
Do you intend to use the generator connected to a battery??
AnswerID: 346942

Follow Up By: SPIRIT GYPSYS - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 22:26

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 22:26
IMHO I would definitely not run any TV or similar unit off one of the cheap gennys.
They are the inverter type, ie, they generate 12 volt then invert it to 240 volt in a "square" false sine wave pattern which is the
problem.
Units like Honda do the same but invert it to pure sine wave which is actually bettter quality without spikes than mains power.
That's why they cost more.

We blew a plasma tv with a neighbours cheapie even thru the 240v Bushtracker van system which is about as good as it gets

I've been advised not to run a laptop from them even tho it goes thru a transformer
They'll run lights and power tools and motors OK.
FollowupID: 615076

Follow Up By: SPIRIT GYPSYS - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 22:27

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 22:27
IMHO I would definitely not run any TV or similar unit off one of the cheap gennys.
They are the inverter type, ie, they generate 12 volt then invert it to 240 volt in a "square" false sine wave pattern which is the
problem.
Units like Honda do the same but invert it to pure sine wave which is actually bettter quality without spikes than mains power.
That's why they cost more.

We blew a plasma tv with a neighbours cheapie even thru the 240v Bushtracker van system which is about as good as it gets

I've been advised not to run a laptop from them even tho it goes thru a transformer
They'll run lights and power tools and motors OK.
FollowupID: 615077

Follow Up By: RV Powerstream P/L - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 07:57

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 07:57
A past experience with Honda was that they wouldnot run a Dometic Washing machine and a learned gentleman (Member of EO) put one on a osilliscope and was disappointed with the sinusoedal wave form produced as it was not true sine.

For example if you created static electricity on your arm and the hairs all stand up that is what the sign pattern was like a reasonable formation but hairy.

A Subaru tested with the Dometic ran it with no drama.

I believe that Honda has since fixed the problem so that should not happen again.

Squre wave and or Modified sine wave today due to a lot of equipment having switchmode technology will work most things other than some washinmg machines and breadmakers with thyristor controls.

Be wary of any generator others then well know quality brands Inverter units for running any sensitive gear.
Ian

FollowupID: 615102

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 08:53

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 08:53
Ian,

"Squre wave and or Modified sine wave today due to a lot of equipment having switchmode technology will work most things other than some washinmg machines and breadmakers with thyristor controls."

Not sure what that means in English LOL but I have run our Breadmaker from our Kipor 2000. What does this mean? Is it telling me that the Kipor is putting out "clean" power or am I drawing a false conclusion?

Cheers,

Jim.
FollowupID: 615108

Follow Up By: RV Powerstream P/L - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 13:20

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 13:20
Not necessarily as I have run a Black & Decker Breadmaker on a Sterling Quasi Sine Wave 1800W Inverter to see if it would run it and it did.

Charles Sterling made the statement regarding the bread makers and washing machines and I wanted to test it.

I witnessed the Dometic issue it was with a major 5th Wheel supplyer Honda "no" then Subaru "Yes" but I know now that Honda is also "yes."

I guess its a suck it and see thing and I did that again two days ago and ran a Dometic air con off a battery bank and a 1500W pure sine inverter (beautiful) and then off an 1800W Quasi wouldnt run it.

To me there is only two wave forms Square Wave and Sine Wave as all Modified Sine and Quasi Sine are all Square Wave with a fancy name.

If your Kipor works what you have and your happy then its perfect.

Ian

FollowupID: 615166

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 08:37

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 08:37
Cheap generators have very poor voltage regulation - the output voltage will vary a lot.

If you blow a $2 light bulb no-one worries, but it may also blow $2000 TV !
AnswerID: 346988

Follow Up By: RV Powerstream P/L - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 13:25

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 13:25
Mike
I would take that a bit further as some industrial type generators or open framed generators without AVR can also damage gear and there are a lot of people using open framed non AVR Generators that are good name brands.
Ian

FollowupID: 615168

Reply By: Seakarvan - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 16:27

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 16:27
Many Thanks to all.

I've gleaned 4 things from visiting this site.
1. Sound dust sealing advice
2. A place we WERE going to visit has saved a muck around.
3. Our 'El Cheapo Genny' is for lights only, not to produce exploding Flat Screens (ha ha)

...... and 4. There are good men and women on this site that are fair dinkum and will help fellow travellers - getting rarer these times - where do I join!!!!!!

Cheers

Seakarvan
AnswerID: 347087

Sponsored Links