double battery charging

Hi all, my father was away camping for the last three weeks. He had trouble with one of his batteries, a deep cycle 110 amp. Anyway he has a honda gen that he used to charge the battery with a three stage charge. While doing this a gentle from another camp told him to hook up his battery charger as well to charge it quicker.
what do people think of this?
shane.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Isuzumu - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 21:32

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 21:32
There should not be any problems, as when the batteries are at full charge the 240 volt charge, if an auto one, will shut down, but does the 12 volt on the genny have a auto shut off at a certain voltage. Will get my 2.0 KVA Chinese built genny out and check that out. I had better put my report in on how thats going to, great actually.

Cheers Bruce

AnswerID: 346954

Reply By: _gmd_pps - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 21:38

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 21:38
it depends on the battery and the charger
my AGMs take somewhere between 60-80amp max in bulk charge
and my charger does 50amp. A second charger would make little sense since the 50 amp flow only for a short time anyway.
When you have a non AGM the bulk charge is much lower
but if you have only a 10 amp charger or less it would increase
charge capacity. In case of a 20 amp charger and a standard wet cell battery it does not make much sense since such batteries take charge much slower than AGMs. You did neither specify the battery type nor the capacity of the charger so the short answer would be:
can't say!

good luck
gmd
AnswerID: 346957

Reply By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 22:26

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 22:26
Hi Shane

You mention a 3 stage charger and then mention hooking up another charger.

This sounds strange, does he have 2 chargers and if so what are the specifications and where are they mounted. It would be best to just use the bigger charger if possible and not the built in 12V charger that most Honda units have.

Regards Derek from ABR
AnswerID: 346960

Reply By: AG10 - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 08:00

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 08:00
Gday shane i recently went away for nine days bush camping on the 4th day dual battery nearly flat i charged it up using my $99 gmc 12 v leads straight out of the genny and my mate put the solar panel on as wel was charged up in about 6 hours then we swaped it to another vehicle did the same and all was good till we left we were regulary checking the batterys using a hydrometer
AnswerID: 346979

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 08:32

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 08:32
The time it takes to charge a deep cycle battery is limited by the battery itself - you won't necessarily get a faster charge by using a charger with more current capability.

You need to tell us what the current rating of the first charger was and what type of deepcycle it was - AGMs and Gels can accept charge much faster then wetcell deepcycle.

Even if an AGM can accept a high current, you will shorten its life by charging faster than 25% of its amphour rating e.g. more than 25 amps for a 100 amphour battery.
AnswerID: 346985

Reply By: Member - shane (SA) - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 10:04

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 10:04
Hi all, i must not have made myself clear. he plugged in two battery chargers to the gen. one was the three stage 6 amp charger and i don't know what the other one was.
cheers.
AnswerID: 347007

Sponsored Links