245/75/16 versus 255/70/16

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 15, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 656 Views:9867 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I'm a little confused waht to do!!! My Jackaroo standard tyre fitment is 245/70/16. I have been researching tyres and was about to order a set of Copper Discoverer S/T's. They don't come in the 245/70/16, so I have to choose 245/75/16 or 255/70/16. All the research (on this site and elsewhere) suggest to go for the 75 profiles, but. I have now been told by the tyre retailer that they would be illegal and probably void my insurance in case of an accident. The retailer stated it was due to the increase in rolling diameter exceeding 15mm. If this is the law how does everyone get those 33" and 35" tyres legally on their rigs. He said talk to your insurance company or the RTA for the definative answer, but we all know what talking to government departments and insurance companies is like don't we? Some of you knowledgable contributors out there must know what the real facts are.

Please help it is very confusing.

Col
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rod - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2002 at 01:00
Colin, you could do what I've done and that is actually state the size of your tyres on your insurance application. My money's been accepted. As for Cooper tyres read the fine print, one little nic and your guaranttee's blown.
AnswerID: 1767

Reply By: Mike - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2002 at 01:00

Colin, save yourself the hassles and fit BFG A/Ts as they are available in standard Jackaroo size. I've had them on mine for about 52000kms and couldn't be happier. They've done very well on Simpson sand, Birdsville Track & Mungo mud, Pedirka track & Flinders rocks and the Victorian High country. No Punctures yet and wearing really well. Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 1768

Reply By: Grant - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2002 at 01:00

Colin, spoke to my local tyre dealer about the exact same thing yesterday and he said "what's it say on your tyre placard? No can do because they (insurance companies) can come back at us (tyre dealer) and sue us for fitting an illegal tyre."
So tyre dealers are protecting their own arses, and fair enough, but not trying very hard to be helpful. So I spoke to my insurance rep this morning and quizzed him and basically it comes down to the Load Ratings and Speed Ratings. If you are on or above the trye placards minimum requirements on these you should be ok. They are mainly concerned about a cheap tyre that doesn't meet the placard in the above two areas, therefore making it unsafe if loaded up or going too fast. To Rod, at least Coopers offer a guarantee of sorts so they must be fairly confident they wear reasonably well. Do BFG A/T owners feel so threatened by the Cooper S/T's that at every opportunity on this and other forums they feel the need to bag them. Give the S/T's a couple of years to either prove themselves or fail. Time will tell. Colin, as Rod rightly said, state your tyre size on your insurance application and if they take your money, then they have no comeback. Steven P has a Jack with 245/75's on in Vic, he may read this and let you know his experience.
AnswerID: 1773

Follow Up By: Grant - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2002 at 01:00

Website found, waiting for reply, once, twice, no reply. Wrong again. It had. Damn computers.
FollowupID: 588

Follow Up By: Colin - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2002 at 01:00

Grant,I got your reply the first time!!! I am concerned that even if the Insurance company was to take my money, that if the RTA was to later say the tyre fitment was illegal it would not matter what I had declared on the policy. Remember Insurnace companies are in the bisiness of taking our money and minimising how much of it they have to give back. Am I too cynical? I say no, just wise to their ways The question is still how do you get more rubber legally? Are all those 33" & upwards tyres all illegal?
FollowupID: 590

Colin, spoke to my local tyre dealer about the exact same thing yesterday and he said "what's it say on your tyre placard? No can do because they (insurance companies) can come back at us (tyre dealer) and sue us for fitting an illegal tyre."
So tyre dealers are protecting their own arses, and fair enough, but not trying very hard to be helpful. So I spoke to my insurance rep this morning and quizzed him and basically it comes down to the Load Ratings and Speed Ratings. If you are on or above the trye placards minimum requirements on these you should be ok. They are mainly concerned about a cheap tyre that doesn't meet the placard in the above two areas, therefore making it unsafe if loaded up or going too fast. To Rod, at least Coopers offer a guarantee of sorts so they must be fairly confident they wear reasonably well. Do BFG A/T owners feel so threatened by the Cooper S/T's that at every opportunity on this and other forums they feel the need to bag them. Give the S/T's a couple of years to either prove themselves or fail. Time will tell. Colin, as Rod rightly said, state your tyre size on your insurance application and if they take your money, then they have no comeback. Steven P has a Jack with 245/75's on in Vic, he may read this and let you know his experience.
AnswerID: 1774

AnswerID: 1775

Reply By: Rob - Friday, Jan 18, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Jan 18, 2002 at 01:00
I was doing a bit of digging about modiforcations a while back. I do not know which state you are in, but the NSW RTA has a webpage that covers this issue at http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/manuals/registration/lvm/lvmfrm.htm
The information about wheel size is at http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/manuals/registration/lvm/lvmfrm.htm & I should imagine that the insurance companies would comply with this law.
AnswerID: 1789

Follow Up By: Col - Monday, Jan 21, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 21, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks for the lead Rob. I ended up putting the 245/75/16 Cooper S/T's on the Jackaroo, and the answer is they comply with both the speed rating and load rating requirements, which is all the RTA is concerned about. All I can say is that some tyre retailers make things up as they go along. Will know how good my choice was after the Ozzie day weekend, when the Vic High Country beckons.

FollowupID: 606

Reply By: Eli - Monday, Jan 28, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 28, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Col
I’m trying to find a way to replace my 100 Series Landcruiser’s original 265/70/16 tyres with a larger 275/75/16 (52 MM extra in diameter), and stay legal.
I wouldn’t like to spoil your day but I was researching the RTA regulations for a few months (including a few phone calls to their technical department) and I couldn’t fined a way around the paragraph stating:
“For a minor modification (owner certified), the overall diameter of the alternative wheel and tyre must not be greater than 15mm over the largest diameter wheel and tyre specified for the vehicle and shall not be more than 15mm below the smallest diameter wheel and tyre specified for the vehicle” You can find it at the RTA web site that Rob referred you to (3.8.3 Certification of replacement wheels and tyres).
I will be happy to hear if you or anybody else found a way around that part of the regulations.
Thanks Eli
AnswerID: 1847

Follow Up By: Col - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2002 at 01:00
The answer for me was on the web site that you refer to. The key is is 'not greater then 15mm over the LARGEST DIAMETER CERTIFIED' The Jackaroo it seems is certified for a variety of tyre sizes, they are all listed in the owners manual and on the tyre placard.
FollowupID: 630

Reply By: Eli - Monday, Jan 28, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 28, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Col
I’m trying to find a way to replace my 100 Series Landcruiser’s original 265/70/16 tyres with a larger 275/75/16 (52 MM extra in diameter) and stay legal.
I wouldn’t like to spoil your day but I was researching the RTA regulations for a few months (including a few phone calls to their technical department) and I couldn’t fined a way around the paragraph stating:
“For a minor modification (owner certified), the overall diameter of the alternative wheel and tyre must not be greater than 15mm over the largest diameter wheel and tyre specified for the vehicle and shall not be more than 15mm below the smallest diameter wheel and tyre specified for the vehicle” You can find it at the RTA web site that Rob referred you to (3.8.3 Certification of replacement wheels and tyres).
I will be happy to hear if you or anybody else will find a way around that part of the regulations.
Thanks Eli
AnswerID: 1848

Follow Up By: Eli - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2002 at 01:00
Hi COL
Lucky you, unfortunately the Landcruiser 100 is certified only for one size.
Thanks Eli
FollowupID: 631

Sponsored Links