Stereo Systems

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 04:44
ThreadID: 6561 Views:3062 Replies:13 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Am on the prowl for a new sound system as the current one is full of pindan dust and doesn't function too well.
Had my eye on Alpine CDA-7894RB for $999 (got him down to $849) but then found out it was "Made in China". Does anyone else have a problem with this?

I've always bought "Made in Japan" stereo & electronic gear and still have my very first Pioneer car stereo (bought 25 years ago as a 16 year old) set up in my shed. Set it up a few months back after it had been sitting around for 10 years and it fired up first pop. Of course no CD player but radio & amps work fine for shed purposes. So now I'm leaning back towards Pioneer.
Anyone got any suggestions ? Forget Kenwood please.

Another point. How come we have to pay near on a grand for car stereo unit when the latest & greatest boom boxes are selling for under $500 with built in equalisers and amps. Am I being suspicious or are we being shafted?

As always, any input appreciatedNext Trek - Callawa Rd
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jason (macca) - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 06:49

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 06:49
In my opinion, make sure what ever you get is capable of playing MP3.
180 Tunes on one cd is great.

Cheers
AnswerID: 27834

Follow Up By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 07:00

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 07:00
yep sorry - should have said am looking at MP3Next Trek - Callawa Rd
FollowupID: 19192

Follow Up By: Jason (macca) - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 07:37

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 07:37
Allyn

I just installed a Clarion system in my boat. I am very happy
with the sound of the Clarion. Like you, I had no idea what
to buy when I went out looking. I stayed well clear of
Sony, Kenwood and a few others. I like the Clarion and Pioneer stuff.
FollowupID: 19193

Reply By: CirclingVulture - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 08:32

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 08:32
If you want an Mp3 player for you car you best of asking at this link textforum
AnswerID: 27840

Reply By: Tuco69 - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 09:09

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 09:09
After having had several Pioneer casette/radio and CD/radio combinations and knowing especially the radio performance - I have a soft spot for the Pioneer brand. Many times I have been camped in remote outback places and my radio was working while other brands in other vehicles weren't able to tune anything that was listenable. I have in the past owned Alpine, Kenwood, Clarion, Eurovox, Phillips and none had the radio performance of the Pioneer with the SuperTunerlll.

Having said that, when I started looking for a Pioneer CD/MP3/radio unit I was shocked at the price in comparison to models without the MP3 feature. I ended up buying a JVC MP3/CD/radio (with cordless remote control) for $379 - including a spindle of 50 blank CD-R's. It is the model KD-S785 and has many more features than the Pioneer which at the time was more than double the price. While I thought the cordless remote to be a bit of a gimmic - I find that it is much easier to use especially when trying to change a setting/tune/track etc - on a bumpy road! All the new radios seem to have an array of small buttons that can be difficult to use when the vehicle is bouncing about on bad road. The remote makes it much easier. When playing my own compilation MP3 discs I have never had it skip on corrugated road.
The radio isn't as good as the Pioneer, but is better than some of the other 'brand' names.

very happy! (:>)
AnswerID: 27842

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 09:11

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 09:11
Gday Allyn in my opinion i think mp3 is great as truckster said .
i got my jvc sdk895 mp3/cd/fm/am stereo via e-bay at $280 but i know Jaycar also sell them at a reasonable price .
easy to fit great sound and has input /output for a dvd or games console if needed.
I used to have Sony everything but that was years ago.
Clarion and alpine are too pricey for what you get,.
hope this helps1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
AnswerID: 27843

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 09:27

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 09:27
Allyn,
In defence of Clarion I've had a six disc stacker since 1992 that is now in it's 5th vehicle, this unit has been faultless, yes it was expensive initially but the unit has been faultless, this works for me.Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 27844

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 11:22

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 11:22
This is the unit I have. [ View Image].

Removeable face, MP3 and WMA formats supported... I have 166 MP3's on 1 CD appeals to me :D AND REMOTE CONTROL!!!!! ALL FOR ~$550

Alpine CDA-9807 - In Dash CD/MP3 Receiver

With Alpine's CDA-9807 CD receiver, you can listen to MP3 and Windows Media (WMA) files when you're on the go — without bringing any extra equipment. Just record your music onto disc, and you're ready to roll! With all that music available (up to 10 hours per disc), sometimes you need to find a specific song. Alpine makes it easy to navigate through the disc by including a wireless remote.

Your tunes are brought to life by 4 channels of 23 watts RMS MOSFET power. Media Xpander™ restores the life that's lost when music is broadcast or compressed. Alpine's Bass Engine® lets you pick the bass and treble center frequencies, choose the width of the bass boost, and adjust the subwoofer level, so you can refine the sound until it's as polished as the CDA-9807's sleek silver and blue faceplate.

Put 6 or 12 discs at your command by adding an Alpine CD changer, or use the optional adapter to convert the changer controls to an auxiliary input. Something else you'll want to add is Alpine's XM Satellite Radio tuner and an XM antenna so you can activate your XM service. Give it a try and you'll wonder how you ever listened to radio before XM!

Key Features:
detachable face
plays MP3 and Windows Media (WMA) files
displays MP3 text
MaxTune tuner
12 FM/6 AM presets
Bass Engine (bass center frequency, width, and level, plus treble center frequency and level adjustments)
Media Xpander
XM Satellite Radio controls (XM Radio subscription, tuner, antenna required to receive the satellite radio signal.)
CD changer controls for Alpine Ai-NET changers only
optional auxiliary input
MOSFET internal amp
4-volt front, rear, and subwoofer preamp outputs
wireless remote
clock
23 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels
CD frequency response 5-20,000 Hz
CD signal-to-noise ratio 105 dB
FM sensitivity 9.3 dBf

Where its made doesnt mean SHIAT! I've always had Alpine, and will stick with them. The sound is BRILLIANT. I now have 4x Alpine Speakers in the car too, and will be getting the same setup for wifes car when I get work. My mate is selling his Sony gear and getting the MP3 player. The price was EXTREMELY GOOD, under $550au, from Peninsular Sound in Frankston. Brilliant service.

I think sometimes too much is made of 'where is it made'... 99% of stuff is made in Cheap crap places now. Even Ford Wiring Harness' are made in somewhere like Somoa(or one of the coconut Islands)!

But *GOOD* large companies *USUALLY* have some form of Quality Control.
AnswerID: 27858

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 13:09

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 13:09
PS. This is my 4th Alpine, have only had 1 Eurovox unit out of VT SS commode which is now in Lukes GQ/Mav to compare to.

Dont bother getting anything less than MP3... Gets rid of the need for Stacker!

I can scan for toons while the one is playing, it has more features than I'll ever ever use, but they came with it for the price.
FollowupID: 19225

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 12:09

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 12:09
Got agree with others...Pioneer tops my list. Our first car CD player (a Pioneer) bought 10 years or so ago sounded tops and never had any problem with jumping etc. We had it in several vehicles including 4WD's and used it on the roughest, dirtiest of tracks and it just kept on going.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 27862

Reply By: Mick - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 13:20

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 13:20
Hi all,
My old Pioneer was underwater twice and still cranked the sub woofer, blew the dust out once a year. Now i have a pioneer MP3 player, cheapest in the range, but was still around $400 looks sharp and 150 tracks lasts all day playing.
Its up to you, but most stereo quality is pretty good for the price you pay.
AnswerID: 27873

Reply By: Luke - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 14:13

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 14:13
QUOTE: "How come we have to pay near on a grand for car stereo unit when the latest & greatest boom boxes are selling for under $500 with built in equalisers and amps. Am I being suspicious or are we being shafted"

A boom box for under $500 will not even come close to being anywhere near the 'latest & greatest'.....and you can get car stereo's for miles under a grand :-)

....good luck with the search though....I'm using Truckster's old CD player etc taken from a VT SS Commodore - I'm happy with it - good sound quality, great radio reception etc - and I'm happy to change a CD once an hour or so, so I'm not inclined to install a stacker or need mp3 functionality :-)

Having said that, I'm aware that the JVC car stereo gear is very reasonably priced at the moment, and know a few friends who are very happy with the performance and quality of the JVC kit - maybe JVC at somewhere like JB-HiFi is worth a look. Shouldn't have to set you back anywhere near $1000 - in fact, should be miles under $500 :-)

Cheers,

Luke.
AnswerID: 27880

Reply By: Member - Wombat (Vic) - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 16:17

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 16:17
Allyn,

My new car has a Blaupunkt with six speakers. I've had many different brand systems over the years but this is the first one I've been compelled to sing the praises of. Even with the top down on the open road the sound clarity is exceptional. I don't know what the system is worth as it came as standard with the vehicle - but whatever the retail price is, IMHO it's worth it."Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
AnswerID: 27900

Reply By: Glenno - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 18:24

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 18:24
I picked up a Pioneer CD player from Chermside Audio in Brisbane. My first priority was that it didnt skip on rough roads, second priority was sound, 3rd was looks.

So the dude in the shop kicked the crap outa the plywood unit they were mounted in with his size 13 steel caps. The Sony, Alpine & Clarion all skipped. The JVC and Pioneer didnt. The Pioneer looks better than the JVC so i now own one. And they both sounded excellent

Now *that* is product testing in my mind. I couldnt give a hoot that it can be turned up above 10 without distorting, if it cant take corrogations its pretty much useless.

Cheers,
AnswerID: 27919

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 18:57

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 18:57
gday allyn.
just had a look on ebay plenty of mp3 players there for under $400.
got over no fraser.
get on with life(more weekend fun)
AnswerID: 27925

Reply By: Williewags- Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 20:30

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 20:30
No radio, no tape, no CD, no MP3..............just sing loud when the gearbox noises become unbearable.

Always going somewhere
AnswerID: 27942

Follow Up By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 20:39

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 20:39
sorry should have put "As always, almost any input appreciated"

Kidding -
LOLNext Trek - Callawa Rd
FollowupID: 19298

Sponsored Links