Thargomindah to Quilpie

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 20:34
ThreadID: 65621 Views:4958 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
As part of a caravan holiday from May we are planning to do a loop from Cunnamulla to Thargomindah - up to Quilpie & then to Charleville.
Most of that road is bitumen but there seems to be some gravel between Thargo & Quilpie. Does anyone know what condition that road may be? We have a 4WD plus on road pop top van.
If anyone knows items of interest in that area we would appreciate any info,
Thanks, Willy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 20:43

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 20:43
Not sure on it's condition at this very moment but my father drove this road the week before christmas in a brand new holden Berlina wagon, so it should be relatively easy with a 4x4. May need to take it easy with the van on though.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 347146

Reply By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 20:56

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 20:56
If you're talking about taking the 'long way round' towards Nocatunga and then Eromanga then we did that section of it in reverse in late July or early August last year with our Jayco sterling 'outback' van and Pajero. It is all bitumen probably because of the oil rigs and a good road.

Worth driving to Noccundra to the historic hotel - there are hot showers and flushing toilets near the pub, cost of gold coin donation the RFDS. Also camping along the river nearby.

We bushcamped a couple of nights along the way. Very quiet road, few signs of human habitation, lots of emus! There's a free camp ground opposite Lake Bindegolly N Pk, to the east of Thargomindah, lots of space and no facilities, view over water in a lagoon. We were the only occupants one night and the next there were one or two other campers. We stayed two or three nights and did a hot walk which would normally be near the lake edge, to spot birds, but the water level was so low that any birds were distant dots!! Might be different now of course! I Loved this part of the trip as well as the bit to Windorah and Jundah up to Longreach.
Hope this helps you a little.
Heather G
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 347152

Follow Up By: Willykj - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 18:15

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 18:15
Thanks Heather - great info
FollowupID: 615431

Follow Up By:- Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 18:22

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 18:22
Hi Heather,

Good info, also read your blog which I really enjoyed as we had recently toured the same places with a camper trailer.....can't wait to go back, unfortunately work intervenes.

I wondered if you could answer a couple of questions?
What model Paj did you have and how did it tow the big van?
What comparison do you make now between the Paj and the Navara?
Does your boat go on the racks of the Navara? how is it loaded?

Thanks in anticipation

Evan
evanmunroe@bigpond.com
FollowupID: 615436

Follow Up By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 20:17

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 20:17
Hi Evan,
Glad you enjoyed the blog - it's my first attempt!
I will answer the questions as best I can - with help from the other half!
The paj was a 2004 model TD, auto and it towed the van with ease but we were worried about being overweight and the ramifications of this if we were involved in an accident or had to claim on our insurance. (also I guess as to the safety issue too). We bought it with nearly 50,000. kms on the clock and ran up another 60,000 in the two years we had it.

The Navara, also auto diesel, is a bit thirstier on fuel and the tank is a miserable 80 litres (paj only had 90 though). We will carry probably 40 litres extra so we aren't caught short somewhere.
We are happy enough with it so far
love the dual cab, as there is still seating for friends and family, but the seats fold neatly when we don't have extra passengers. Also it is more versatile (and has lots more storage space). We are able to carry the boat and generator fuel as well as spare diesel and the outboard motor.We have only had two short trips of two weeks away - one with the boat on - so haven't really given it too much to do yet. We aren't true 4WD people anyway - only endure bad roads to get to places we want to explore, or for fishing or bushwalks

We have a Rhinorack side boat loader which fits on the heavy duty (rhino) roof racks. It is great - takes the hard work out of loading and unloading the tinny but isn't all that quick. Think we need to invest in a better quality drill!

So far so good - will probably be a whole lot wiser after the next big trip we have planned this year for SA and the West. Hopefully there will be more blogs for you to read.
Anything I haven't answered get back to me.
Regards,
Heather G
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 615452

Follow Up By:- Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 21:18

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 21:18
Thanks Heather, all valuable info, thanks.

I look forward to future blogs

Happy travels
Evan
FollowupID: 615462

Reply By: x - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 21:20

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 21:20
Willy

Its all good

Stop at Toompine for a refreshment and pat the donkey in the bar.

Bob
AnswerID: 347159

Reply By: Isuzumu - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 07:33

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 07:33
We did it towing our old Viscount last year on the way to the National Gathering, the gravel was ok just watch your speed, naturally it will depend on if it has been graded by and how much rain they have had, but not a problem.
Found a good camp spot about 6Ks west of Tompine along side the Bulloo river.

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers Bruce
AnswerID: 347195

Reply By: Outback Gondwana Fou - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 16:03

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 16:03
Hi there,
Great to hear that you are planning at trip out into South-west Queensland. I am local to the area around Eromanga so can give you a few realible tips.
The Cooper Development Road (Thargomindah-Noccatungra-Eromanga) is all sealed and is a very good road. Definitely worth stopping at the famous Noccundra Hotel and then in Eromanga , you must call in to the Royal Hotel and talk to the publicans Scott & Di Walker (you can say Robyn from west of Eromanga sent you). You must see the Object Theatre in the Living History Museum (which is still being developed). Just ask Di or Scott Walker for the key and let yourself in...it is free. This is a short movie with a difference well worth seeing. It touches on the briefly on the many things unique and history around the Eromanga area.
Did you know that Australia's largest Dinosaur & in the top ten largest in the world, Cooper was found just west of Eromanga. This area is Australia newest paleontological frontier with many dinosaur site and other fossil fauna sites being discovered. This area is full of fasinating geological, cultural, paleontological history and early whiteman settlement history. The community is doing their best to tell the story to visitors but it is very hard for remote communities so progress is slow. They welcome those visitors who pass through.Eromanga Cafe will provide you with all the necessary basic supplies and a good square meal. Accommodation can be found at the Eromanga Motel, Eromanga Caravan Park and the Royal Hotel even has some rooms available. There is fuel at the Oil Refinery opposite the cafe. It is worth a trip up the Kyabra Road past the famous Kyabra Creek and stunning sanddunes.Quilpie is a larger centre which you will be able find most travelling need in.
This is a web address which is still under development but will be 'live' sometime this month, www.ogf.org.au
I hope you enjoy your visit to this relatively unexplored part of Queensland.
Safe travelling
Robyn
AnswerID: 347252

Follow Up By: Member - Min (NSW) - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 17:05

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 17:05
Robyn,
Your wonderful, detailed response has convinced me that we should also head to the region next May as we wend our way to or from the Top End.
Min
FollowupID: 615405

Follow Up By: Willykj - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 18:20

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 18:20
Thanks for that info Robyn - it is appreciated. Nothing like some local knowledge. Thanks for typing all that out. We are looking forward to having a look around that part of Qld. Done most other areas but have never ventured there.
Willy
FollowupID: 615433

Follow Up By: Member - Russnic [NZ] - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 08:08

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 08:08
Hi Gondowana Fou,
I like that
Passed through there a couple of years ago, I was driving a rental camper and not meant to go off the seal, there was about 50ks ready to seal but had not been quite finished still using detours in places, amazing what has been done on those roads recently.
Anyway called at Eromanga around midday on Sat with thoughts of fuelling up, did not find much sign of life anywhere. Had a look at the old gear etc on display, there was nothing locked up, but could not find any sign of life, so ended up going to Quilpie, to late to get fuel there so ended up joining the queue on Mon morning to get diesel, a couple of nights stay in a camp ground got the washing done and the body appreciated a couple of showers daily I think, nice people, camp oven dinner and entertainment as well.
Passed through Quilpie last winter again and got fuel on the way back east, but made sure to avoid the weekend.
If you are from west of the town I guess Coonaberry Creek way, Much flood coming down the Cooper?, or are the floods more West from there?.
Cheers
FollowupID: 615514

Reply By: Member - Ingo57 (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 14:58

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 14:58
Gday Willy

We did it june last year, you will have no probs

Cheers
AnswerID: 347683

Sponsored Links