Gunbarrel Highway Feedback

This trek should be renamed, "Wiluna to Yulara Trek" as it is historically inaccurate.

Sorry to be pedantic, but history is history, and it cannot changed.

This trek picks up some of the Gunbarrel Highway, but none the less, the real highway starts at Victory Downs Station and finishes at Carnegie Station.

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 21:41

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 21:41
Thats true Alan

It starts with the Happy Family

Cheers
AnswerID: 347314

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 22:21

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 22:21
Darn it I was WRONG and you where right...
happy family is Mulga Park.. woops
FollowupID: 615960

Reply By: Top End Explorer Tours - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 21:43

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 21:43
I agree 100%

Cheers Steve.
AnswerID: 347316

Reply By: mechpete - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 21:48

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 21:48
maybe you should get a life and leave things the way they are
mechpete
AnswerID: 347317

Follow Up By: equinox - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 21:51

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 21:51
What, and pretend things are right when they are wrong??

Look the other way so to speak??

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 615471

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 21:51

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 21:51
Pete

Thats what he is trying to do leave it as it should.?????
FollowupID: 615472

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 21:55

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 21:55
But I do like the photo of Mt Beadell, it's pretty good hay
FollowupID: 615473

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thoughtfully- Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 21:57

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 21:57
what way ARE things Pete? What dya mean?
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 615474

Follow Up By: equinox - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 22:00

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 22:00
Very nice photo Richard, almost the same as the one in the book!!

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 615475

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Thoughtfully- Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 22:02

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 22:02
equinox, I still call the Princes Hwy the Princes Hwy even if I am only driving it to Warrnambool not the rest of the 18,712 km of it.

Maybe this trek can be given the same grace

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 347320

Follow Up By: equinox - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 22:14

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 22:14
Different context.

I would still call a small section of the Gunbarrel, part of the Gunbarrel, even if I didn't traverse the whole way.

Plus, this is giving others who may not know the history, the totally wrong idea.

It's either the Gunbarrel or its not!!

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 615479

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 22:24

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 22:24
Bonz

It's a cultural thing, these story's are the only thing us whities have as a culture. If WE get them wrong, they will be lost, at least the Aborigines try to save the culture and not loss it for ever.

We as the adults have to be the one's to make sure things are right, and pass on the truths of the past.

Cheers

Richard
FollowupID: 615483

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thoughtfully- Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 22:34

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 22:34
equinox, it depends on your viewpoint, even had I done a small part of such an iconic trip I would think I had done some of the Gunbarrell, not all of it though, but I know what you mean.

Riccardo! You are right, and Len Beadells books make you feel like he had dozed the road last year and you can still drive on those outback Highways like they are still in pristine condition, rather than two wheel tracks like some parts of them. But if we become too pedantic and start a bunfight we risk losing what we were fighting for like the Hatfields and the McCoys, and many other long running conflicts.... We do have a heritage that lives, and ultimately dies with us if we don't pass it on, or lives and flourishes with embellishment AS we pass it on.

I still remember reading Lens book and he talks about Carnegie Station and driving in from the east and the "There aint no roads there - There is Now!" statements. Then to learn that my wife's cousin married a Linke from Carnegie, I feel somewhat attached to that bit of road.

I just want to get out there! You two rabbits have the pics to prove it, and till i also do I shall bow to your superior "been there" knowledge.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 615486

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 22:55

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 22:55
Margaret and I met and chatted with Len on several occasions in the late 70s, 80s.
What was remarkable to us at the time, and now, was that he was genuinely interested to hear about some of the early travels that we had made into the bush (in Minis) and that he remembered those chats on subsequent occasions when we met again some years later.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 615492

Follow Up By: Member - John R (QLD) - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 22:57

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 22:57
Yes, if you get too pedantic, then would you say the Gunbarrel Hwy section from Victory Downs to Warrakurna still exists, given it has been re-aligned, reformed and graded to be nothing like the original road? Surely something is lost in that process, from our point of view?

Cheers, John

FollowupID: 615493

Follow Up By: equinox - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 23:08

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 23:08
Hi John,

I know that the road gets re-aligned etc, but to totally eliminate a whole section of the Gunbarrel and say a completely different road is the Gunbarrel is not something I would do.

Exploroz is not the only web-based information provider to do so either, by far - just my favorite!!!

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 615495

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 01:01

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 01:01
Bonz

re: "But if we become too pedantic and start a bunfight we risk losing what we were fighting for"

I don't think Alan was being pedantic (or are you referring to me) he was just making a "Gunbarrel Highway Feedback" to the trek note that was automatically posted on the forum.

He may not have intended it to start a debate on this matter..

we should look after it,, and by the way my mother called me and others refer to me and reply to me as Richard...

Cheers

Richard
FollowupID: 615504

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thoughtfully- Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 19:29

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 19:29
Richard... as your mother calls you, Nope I wasnt calling you pedantic at all was just passing comment, neither did I set out to upset your mother with my monniker for you, pls take no offence...

I was just putting my point of view just like everyone else. Its the nature of the forum. cest la vie

Regards to you all

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 615595

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 21:37

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 21:37
;-)
FollowupID: 615621

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 22:51

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 22:51
It's Late and I'm about to wade into the debate (That rhymed by the way!). Alan, you are 100% correct. As one of the few individuals who venture out into the outback these days to substantiate much of which was recorded in the days of sextants, your opinion is incredably valuable. I think though, as things that were once considered "extreme" become pedestrian, we can often lose sight the spirit that was intended.

I did the Gunbarrel for the first time in the very early 80's with a compass and RACV stripmap based on Len Beadells notes. There were bugger all corrugations back then and only one track that saw a handfull of vehicles each year. I started my Trek on the Giles Mulga Park Road where it left the Stuart just over the NT/SA border and finished at Wiluna (The David Carnegie Road was called the Eagle North South Road back then and the Hussar bore was still being drilled (Sh1te and I'm not even that old!!! lol - No comments Willem!)).

These days, I passed a bloody Toyota camry with a queen sized mattress strapped to the roof heading east from Carnegie Station. There are often four main tracks side by side all of which have corrugations that'd match the Himilayas! I reckon If you've done any length of the "double Barrell", and in particular, the run west from Docker to Everard, you've earnt your stripes. It is iconic, it aint what the maker intended but it is The Gunbarrell. If you've got the intestinal fortitude to get out there in your air conditioned Grand Cherokee, you get braggers rights.

It's all about getting out there!

Cheers all Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 347329

Follow Up By: equinox - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 23:10

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 23:10
"Intestinal fortitude" lol...
Your opinion is valued to me too Mick...

I guess I have made mine known, I shall say no more on the issue.

Best regards
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 615496

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 23:22

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 23:22
Amen. You are a puritan.......which is why you use Coopers!

:-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) :-) ;-) ;-)

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 615497

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 00:02

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 00:02
Gaud, use blokes have got it easy.
When we did it there were NO strip maps to guide you. there were 5 vehicles, 250 thou. maps and a compass to guide you. Have a look at my photos if you can, there is one there called "The approaching storm" [It was taken from one of my slides.] The storm hit us that night. Several days later, we travelled 10 miles in 8 hrs... Two power take off winches working solid.

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 615500

Follow Up By: Olsen's 4WD Tours and Training - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 11:51

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 11:51
We did the entire last year, and I can tell you it is bloody rough right now especially around Everard.
FollowupID: 615544

Reply By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 10:53

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 10:53
Why call it a highway at all ?
AnswerID: 347370

Follow Up By: Member - Tour Boy (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 12:37

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 12:37
Aren't the pacific, Bruce, Dawson, Plenty Highways (to name but a few) just as rough ...LOL
Maybe that's why they are called highways
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 615548

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 13:45

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 13:45
Hi guys - there's a few issues here. Firstly, ExplorOz gives names to treks for best consumer recognition and the most important tool of our business is SEO, so we must use page titles that contain the best search terms used by our target audience to ensure they can find us on the internet. Secondly, our publishing policy for Trek Notes is to try to give the traveller a start and end point in a town or place with fuel supplies just for logistic purposes. We also often expect people, particularly travelling in the outback, to connect a number of treks together so rather than aim for historical purism on trek start/ends we aim for modern day convenience and practically - to ensure the treks are a useful tool when driving/planning trips - so end points are often at major intersections. Another factor is that we only publish navigable treks for which anyone can freely drive (or at least obtain a permit to drive). Sadly, a section of Len's original Gunbarrel route now lies within the Pitjantjatjara Lands and it is near impossible for most people to obtain the necessary permit to drive there so we show the most common route that is possible - this gives everyone a fair chance of being able to actually travel the route we show. You will note that all our treks are built using live - recorded GPS plot files. Sorry if our need for practically messes with purism! No offence intended. Long live Len's memory!

MM
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 347384

Sponsored Links