Replacing temperature gauge 1hz

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 17:17
ThreadID: 65696 Views:5577 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all.

I have an 80 series l/c with 1HZ.
Today I picked up a mechanical temperature gauge, Just want to know if I should remove the original sender or if there is another position I can put it I would like to have both.
It is a little warrying that with all this hot weather that we have had is that my temperature gauge with the a/c. on doesn’t move past the half way mark even in winter or climbing a hill even sitting in traffic.
With all the threads that I have read here I am sure that the old slug should be suffering with this heat I know I am ;-).

Also what would be the max temperature that it should read before I turn off the motor so I don’t cause any damage.

Thanks Pat
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: furph - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 18:36

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 18:36
My 75 series, no A/C but a low boost turbo never goes over the 1/2 way mark on the gauge.
I have placed a thermometer against the top hose after a hard pull and it registers about 90deg.
Allow for some loss of heat transfer and it would seem to be ok at around 95/8?
I think the problem sometimes is the heat buildup after the engine is turned off.
After a hard pull I always let it idle at around 1200 rpm (hand throttle) for a couple of minutes before turning off.
furph
AnswerID: 347559

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 18:51

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 18:51
Go here and ask nicely if he has any more of the digital temp gauges that just attach to a bolt on the head. Easy to read and only 1 wire to run

www.enginesaver.com.au

Willem and I have them and they are pretty accurate and certainly go up and down according to load read heat of engine
FollowupID: 615743

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 15:26

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 15:26
Good on ya Graham!

I rang David and the two you and Willem got were it. Talk to him nicely indeed! LOL

However he does have another type of didgital gauge that is easy to instal.

So I ordered one. Unfortunately he has not seen a postie for a while because of the flood, however I didn't need it until I get home on the 23rdk so all's well for me.

All the best
BooBoo

FollowupID: 615887

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 20:25

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 20:25
MOST of the Jap manufactors build in a "paranoid" allowance into there gauges.
By that, I mean that the gauge quickly rises to 'normal' and stays there from a cold start,reality is the motor is still warming, and also when things begin to get hot the gauge stays in the same spot so as not to alarm the driver.
I cannot tell you the exact numbers difference with coolant temp but a member here was running 2 gauges side by side and it was surprising the difference in how the gauges re-act to different situations.
Reality was that the temp did go up and down but the original stayed still, That's probably why the Toyota gauge only has a scale, no numbers, and another thing is that the Toyota senders need coolant to work so if you have dropped a hose and lost your coolant you will have no idea until bearings start to grab.
Shane
AnswerID: 347570

Follow Up By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 09:07

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 09:07
Same thing happens on my GU I have fitted a aftermarket temp gauge and there is a big difference it could climb 40 degrees and the factory on will be still normal. Only when the aftermarket one gets up to around the 110 mark the factory one starts moving
FollowupID: 615811

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 19:34

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 19:34
What do you do to get it that hot.

I went up to O'Riellys in Lamington NP today.Its pretty steep and it didnt get above 83.

FollowupID: 615927

Sponsored Links