diesel chip

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 23:02
ThreadID: 65709 Views:3572 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, i have been thinking of putting a chip in the 08 prado 3 ltr, we tow a trak shak camper wondering the difference between dp chip and d tronic wich is the better one or just to leave the engine in standaerd form, would be nice to have a bit more grunt on the hills, any thoughts
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cruiser Crazy - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 00:47

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 00:47
Might be better to go to an expert as they can tell you more about it.
A real tuner can tune your engine (And if you have auto also the auto gearbox) to how you want it.
More power or better fuel economy. Or a little bit of both.
Don't buy one of those ready to be plugged in chips from the shelfs.
They just pump more fuel in it.

Good luck with it

Cruiser Crazy
AnswerID: 347614

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 08:13

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 08:13
Brenton, my previous vehicle was an '05 Hilux with 3 Litre TD. We carried a big load (including roof topper and outboard) and towed a 1,500 KG CT.

I wanted more power for touring, so added a plug in power chip. It made a huge difference. Dyno befor and after showed a gain of about 22% and just as importantly, made the increased power available a little lower in the rev range.

The increased power was very noticeable when driving. Overtaking was much better, and for up hill, we were generally abel to negotiate hills one gear higher than before the chip.

Unlike suggested below, fuel consumption did not increase. Most of the chip suppliers claim fuel consumption will decrease. Ours did not decrease, but it did not increase either.

If I'm successful, this is the before and after Dyno on my vehicle:

Image Could Not Be Found

I later added a 2.75 inch mandrel exhaust as well. This improved things even further, but the biggest gain came from the chip.

Norm C
AnswerID: 347625

Follow Up By: Member - Brenton W (SA) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 09:15

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 09:15
Thanks Norm, was your hilux a common rail diesel or the previous model i noticed in the dyno graph the new out put is 109 kw did they do a dyno on the torqu as well.
Keep traveling.
FollowupID: 615816

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 10:14

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 10:14
It was the first of the common rails, Brenton.

In analysing the actual measured power (109KW), you need to remember that manufacturers quoted figures are at the motor (ie no load), while the dyno is measured at the wheels, much closer to real life. You cannot really compare the two. So it is the difference between before and after that is important, rather than the actual figures.

As for torque, the bottom lines are 'representative' of the improvement. The guy who did it said he does not accurately measure torque. He said the bottom lines are 'representative' of the improvement achieved, but do not try to work out actual torque figures from the scale.

Suffice to say, perceived torque improved noticeably; that is the improvement in 'getting moving ability' when fully loaded/towing, or in sand.

Norm C
FollowupID: 615830

Follow Up By: Member - Brenton W (SA) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 10:30

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 10:30
Thanks Norm for joging my memory i forgot manufactures quote power at the flywheel and not rear wheels a major difference. can you let me know what brand your chip was there seems to be quite a bit of disscusion over the 2 major types.
FollowupID: 615833

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 11:15

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 11:15
Mine was a Diesel Power (not DP) chip from Diesel Tuning.Diesel Tuning

They were a Gold Coast business that imports the chips from Germany. I paid just under $1,000 a bit over 2 years ago. Might be a bit more now due to lower Aussie $. I notice from their web site, they are now in WA. Not sure if the Gold Coast outlet is still there.

Very simple plug in. Takes 2 minutes. Although I had it fitted by the supplier (no charge) as his warehouse is just a few KM away from my home, having seen it done, anybody could do it with the right instructions.

The key is then in the setting. Most have a range of settings, from 1 to 8 or 9 I think. From memory, we ended up with mine on about 6. On the highest setting, the motor would lose power at maximum revs. It ran well when set below that level. We found though, that that there was little difference in power (via Dyno) between 6 and 7, so set it on 6.

I think most people fit them without Dyno testing, then adjust on the basis of experience of the supplier and trial and error. The supplier paid for my Dyno as part of the deal - there was a Dyno tuning workshop in the same lot of factory bays he was in.

Everybody claims theirs is the best, but I'm not sure that there is really a big difference.Mine was excellent and once, fitted needed no further attention. I'm sure DP and other major brands are OK as well.

Norm C
FollowupID: 615839

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 14:46

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 14:46
Norm, that's a very interesting post you presented there.

A year or so ago I had the same chip fitted to my TDV8 Cruiser trayback, same vehicle you have now. I actually had it fitted by Turbotech in Perth who, it appears, have taken over the Aussie distributorship from the bloke in QLD.

Turbotech have an excellent reputation here in Perth. Having said that, I found the particular chip only gave me 12% and it simply wasn't noticeable. Even after I removed it, there was no difference.

I approached the former outlet in QLD and he was particularly difficult to deal with. Fortunately Turbotech were very professional about the whole thing and I obtained a refund.

I don't know why it only showed 12%, maybe the TDV8 in the Cruiser is powerful enough by itself? I don't pretend to understand the intricacies of these things.

Anyway, if it worked on your Hilux, it should work on the Prado. It just didn't do it for my V8.

Thankfully, Turbotech is owned and staffed by gentlemen.
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 615881

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 14:09

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 14:09
A fairly extensive article here on LCool re chipping - maybe check the Prado forum.............
[ http://www.lcool.org/technical/elec_diesel_tuning/tuning.html ]
AnswerID: 347678

Reply By: StormyKnight - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 15:51

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 15:51
I don't know what you guys are complaining about.....I have 96kw at the engine & it will tow anything anywhere...........................................................................................................................................................................................................eventually.... :)
AnswerID: 347689

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 16:26

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 16:26
That's the first time I've had to set up dual screens to read a post.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 615892

Reply By: SPRINT-GTO - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 16:48

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 16:48
Brenton
Check out the Safari D-tronic on their website.
AnswerID: 347694

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 19:28

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 19:28
As an indication I have a Safari Dtronic in my 100 series Croozer and get 165.2 hp against 143hp standard.

Also fitted a 3"mandrel bent exhaust.

Before hand when I booted it hard it blew heaps of smoke but now hardly any and goes quicker as well.

This chip is factory set for each vehicle type and cannot be altered and as far as Im concerned its fine as it is.
Makes a noticable difference towing a 2.8t caravan as well.

Had to take the chip out yesterday to do a small job on the aircon and definitely noticed the difference.

One goes with the other so do the exhaust as well.
FollowupID: 615926

Sponsored Links