State quarantine and inspection laws

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 19:29
ThreadID: 6574 Views:4449 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Three vehicles from Toyota Landcruiser Club (Geelong Branch) are about to set off to follow the rail line across to Kalgoorlie and then south to the coast and back home. I would like to know if there are any restrictions on fruit and vegetables from Victoria into South Australia, from South Australia into Western Australia and then return - WA to SA and SA to Vic.

Many thanks in anticipation

Roger (MADOG) Morgan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Williewags- Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 19:39

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 19:39
Hi Roger,

There are inspection stations from Vic into SA at Bordertown, Pinnaroo, Oodlawirra. There is an inspection station near Norseman going in to WA and one in Ceduna coming into SA. If you are travelling along the rail tracks you will not see any inspection stations. Apparantly some of the railway track has restricted entry.

If you use Google then type in Australian Quarantine Laws you will find everything you need to know about what you may bring in to the different states.

Cheers,

WillieAlways going somewhere
AnswerID: 27932

Follow Up By: Member - Roger- Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 23:45

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 23:45
Thanks Willie, confirmed as I suspected - we will be purchasing in Port Agusta and Kalgoorlie. Google search using "Fruit Fly" and the names of the States brings up the results very quickly.

Regrds

MADOG
FollowupID: 19325

Reply By: Williewags- Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 19:54

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 19:54
Hi Roger,

There are inspection stations from Vic into SA near Bordertown, Pinnaroo, Renmark and Oodlawirra. There is an inspection station near Norseman going in to WA and one in Ceduna coming into SA. If you are travelling along the rail tracks you will not see any inspection stations. Apparantly some of the railway road track has restricted entry.

If you use Google then type in Australian Quarantine Laws you will find everything you need to know about what you may bring in to the different states.

Cheers,

WillieAlways going somewhere
AnswerID: 27934

Reply By: Member - Alpaca (SA) - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 21:49

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 21:49
G,Day Roger, Travelling into WA they are real picky. You can't take Honey or carry carry cardboard or styrene boxes that have previously been used for fruit. That's in addition to the usual prohibitions. Even saw an inspector by Sawtooth Gorge out from Hall's Creek a few years ago. Happy travels.Alpaca
AnswerID: 27955

Follow Up By: Member - Roger- Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 23:27

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 23:27
Thanks Alpaca, every little bit helps.

MADOG
FollowupID: 19322

Follow Up By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 00:37

Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 00:37
The WA check is at the border, not at Norseman.

Alpaca
I read from your comments that you would prefer not have any quarrantine checks.
I guess that the people whose livelyhood depends on these checks being inforced would disagree with your 'city folk' point of view.Colin - Subaru Forester
- size isn't everything ! -
FollowupID: 19330

Follow Up By: Member - Alpaca (SA) - Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 12:21

Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 12:21
Colin,
I hope your not into Human Resources as you couldn't have got it more wrong or else you don't have a sense of humor.
The point that I am making is that in WA they are very restrictive of what you can carry into WA
FYI I live in the middle of a wine and grape growing area where fruit fly prevention is extremely important the the district's economy. I have also worked on a fruit fly eradication programme when we did have an outbreak here. I also have been a horticulturist. I completely understandthe importance of quarantine control and always uphold their principles. Your "City Folk" comment is responded by another adage. Those people who live in the ACT need to see what happens in the real world before they pass judgement on the country folk who are out there doing it. Enough saidAlpaca
FollowupID: 19358

Follow Up By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 14:48

Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 14:48
Alpaca
Point taken - your right I'm not in 'Human Resources' nor do I live in the ACT, but I do have a sense of humour. I find it funny that you expressed an opinion knowing the reasons for the restrictions.

On my first trip back to WA in about '82, (I think I have done the crossing about 6 times) we had to stop at the checking station at Norseman at about 2 am ! Freezing cold, grizzling kids and we had to nearly empty the car, throw out the fruit, honey cardboard boxes etc and repack all the gear into new boxes - not funny!

By the way, if you go to look at the Old Telegraph Station at Eucla, take a short detour (200m ??) to the East and you will find a bird cage with some captive Starlings. They are used as 'bait' to try and catch any more feral birds from crossing into WA. They also use trained 'Hawks ?' to try and contaian the Starlings.
Also, follow some tracks to the West and head towards the beach and you will come out at the old Jetty.
FollowupID: 19384

Follow Up By: Member - Alpaca (SA) - Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 16:08

Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 16:08
Colin, Perhaps I didn't clarify my point of view enough in my first comment. I was trying to get the message across that WA is a lot more restrictive than the Eastern 2/3 of Australia and for good reason too. It's a pity our forefathers weren't so concerned when they allowed all those feral animals/plants to be introduced years ago.
I was aware that they were actively shooting starlings to prevent their transgression into WA but not the other methods.
Back to the Quarantine issue, our 4WD club cleans the Sturt Highway from Yamba to the Vic border each Cleanup Aust Day. It is very dissapointing to see that people toss out their fruit etc when approaching the road blocks. They can hand the fruit/vegies etc over at the inspection point without penalty wheras throwing it out of the window of the car could encourage fruit flies if they were to be present.
Safe TravelsAlpaca
FollowupID: 19390

Reply By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 00:59

Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 00:59
Hi Roger
Sorry I can't help with the "fruit fly" question.
When do you leave ?
How long on the road ?

Cheers
Bernie (TLCV)

PS Have a great trip.Prado TD Auto
AnswerID: 27979

Reply By: Neil & Lynne - Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 11:29

Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 11:29
Hi Roger

The checkpoint is no longer at Norseman in W.A. iit has been moved to the WA/SA border.

When we came back a month ago they were taking all fruit, vegetables, and honey. Potatoes are ok provided they are peeled before travelling into WA. For travellers going east the checkpoint will take fruit and veges, honey will be allowed through and potatoes only need to be of the washed variety (don't have to be peeled provided they are clean).Life's too short to say .. "I can't do that !"
AnswerID: 28004

Reply By: bruce.h (WA) - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 11:48

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 11:48
Roger
im coming in abit late but here goes the WA
restrictions go way beyond fruit & veg
we are free of a lot of the weeds that are in the east many of which can effect both our wheat & sheep industries so if you have any mud on your vehicle they will make you wash it down before entering WA
contact the WA gov quarrintine dept for a list of the problem items
Regards Bruce
AnswerID: 28279

Sponsored Links