Slipper springs

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 19:31
ThreadID: 6575 Views:6957 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Just been reading the thread on trailers and would like to know what the percieved problem is with slipper springs on a trailer in the rough stuff.

My trailer has slipper springs and is a converted 6x4 box trailer and weighs under 500kgs laden.

Cheers,

WillieAlways going somewhere
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: macca - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 20:52

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 20:52
Caught your comment on slipper springs.

I have a strengthened 6X4 box with builders type doors, which went all the way to the tip of Cape York at the very end of the wet on the Old Telegraph Track! Three leaf slipper springs - one of which broke on the way up, the other on the way back. Five bolts and about 1 hour each event had us underway again.

Other than this problem, which we forecast, I had no problems.

My tips about the the se-up: easy on the right foot and allow time, keep the slipper greased so that heat does not build enough to create accelerated metal fatigue.

Since the Cape, we have done numerous trips, but have installed 5 leaf springs to avoid the disadvantages of 3 leaf.

A very famous Off Road Tour Operator in Qld bagged me up the Cape, but I had less damage than he, even though he is well recognised as a wilderness operator. I will continue to use the trailer, it's safe, easy and virtually trouble free.

Hope this helps

macca.
AnswerID: 27948

Follow Up By: Williewags- Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 21:18

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 21:18
Thanks macca, I will put some grease in the right places. The trailer handles well in extreme offroad situations and I rarely drive at a high speed over rougher roads. The purpose of the trailer is to carry my wifes paints and paintings for when she paints out bush and the portapotti and a few other camping items. Nothing too heavy.
Cheers,
Willie
Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 19311

Reply By: Mark from Getaway Portable Refrigerator Hire - Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 12:54

Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 12:54
Hello Willie, They also say that the ride on the slipper springs is rougher than the eye to ey springs (they being the 4x4 jouno's). I guy in the Club that I am in had a problem with the slippers when they fully extended and came away from the bracket that they slip on.If you look at it you will see what I mean. I had slippers on the trailer but went to eye to eye, based on what I had read. I have a client (I am a Business Banker B not W) that does outback tours with OKA's and canters up the Kimberley, Alice and all places in between so I went round to see what he used and their trailers are leaf sprung )no shockies, no independent suspension the only thing that they do is strengthen the trailer with flat steel where the springs attach to it. If it is good enough for them it is good enough for me. Regards Mark
AnswerID: 28006

Follow Up By: Williewags- Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 18:14

Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 18:14
Thanks for your feedback Mark.My trailer is built by Modern Trailers in Adelaide and has a 5 slipperleaf spring set-up. It works OK and I haven't thrashed it.
Cheers,
WillieAlways going somewhere
FollowupID: 19414

Reply By: Mick - Saturday, Aug 16, 2003 at 23:30

Saturday, Aug 16, 2003 at 23:30
Willie - the only problem I've had with slipper springs is that they can slip - right out! I was towing a very heavy boat trailer and hit a decent bump and the spring slipped out. My own trailer has springs attached at both ends and I think they're much better. I wasn't thrashing the boat trailer by the way - travelling at 30ish kph and didn't see the hole in time!
AnswerID: 28138

Follow Up By: Williewags- Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 15:19

Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 15:19
Thanks for you feedback, Mick
Cheers,
Willie
Gunbarrel Highway.

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 19511

Sponsored Links