GQ parts

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 21:44
ThreadID: 6577 Views:1450 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day
got a 1991 GQ LWB need a left hand electric mirror and info on rear sliding windows, whether I can repair them or is it better to get seconds. Your help would be much appreciated.
MightyQ
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 21:58

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 21:58
Over to you TrucksterSo many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
AnswerID: 27960

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 22:15

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 22:15
Elect mirrors Rare as rocking horse... $DONT ASK NISSAN!
I did one, called the wrecker, he had 1 there, and I shot over there INSTANTLY!

Replacing Window Frames.. Worth going Genuine, only one other option which is 2ice as expensive, and the OEM Upgraded ones last 10+ yrs, longer than you will have car!

Anyway here something I did while bored one day..

Since these rust out so often, heres a bit of a helper.

1) have everything ready Metho, rope, rags, screwdrivers.

2) have mate on outside of window ready to catch it cause the glass is lots o $.

3) you get inside and GENTLY push on the top rear corner of window next to the
rubber - it will start to come out, unless my rubber was REALLY gone, you will be amazed how EASY they come out, and then think how the hell it stays in there! Then just keep pushing until the whole thing is out.

4) Check the seat where the new frame will sit for rust and crap.

5) clean everything with Metho, body of car where window sits included - sit
frames side by side then while cleaning glass, swap glass into new frame, take note how it comes out of frame

6) theres 2 ways to get the rubber to reseat over the body. 1 is to use a small
screwdriver, the other is to use Rope.

With Rope you sit the window where it has to go on the body, you get on the
inside and sit the rubber on the body work, slowly pull the rope to 'lift' the rubber over the body(you will see what I mean).

With the screw driver sit the rubber on the body and gently (GENTLY I SAID!!)lift the rubber over the body..
AnswerID: 27963

Follow Up By: quinook - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 22:41

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 22:41
Hey Truckster thanks for the info, I must admit that i should have filled out the responce to the question 'what do we all do' or something like that. I'm a glazier by trade, specialized in glass to metal glazing(among other things). But all your info has been taken aboard.
Incedently the screw driver method in conjunction with the rope is the way to go. Even better if you can afford to buy a long shafted (read skinny shank one) heat the tip about 3cm's down the shaft, bend it at right angles, then while still warm, beat it (the tip) flat. You can use this against the glass and have few worries about breakage
thanks
MightyQ
FollowupID: 19320

Sponsored Links