Aid for Victorian bushfire victims

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 19:49
ThreadID: 65816 Views:3540 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all. I've just come in from being outside and saw the latest news about the Vic fires. So I've decided, with lump in throat and holding back tears, that I'm going to do something - have a go at organising some aid from SA. I know there is a place to donate money but I think these people need other things as well.

So this is what I propose. People in SA donate some non perishable food items, clothing that's no longer required and cluttering up your cupboards, blankets, and whatever else you can get hold of to make these people's lives a bit more bearable.

I have a place where we can store the items but I need someone with connections with (or owns) a freight company that's willing to transport the goods for nix.

All you need to do is get the gear to me in Woodside or to my work in Lobethal. Maybe someone in Adelaide could also set up a depot to collect goods from down on the plains to make it easier for people to donate goods.

If you are interested in helping out by donating, or just lending some assistance, please email me at sdfuchs@adam.com.au or phone me on 0423 777 445.

I know we are all emotional about the fires and the devastation they have caused but please don't use this particular thread as a forum to vent your anger.

Regards

Louie the Fly (aka Stewart)

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Louie the fly (SA) - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 19:52

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 19:52
I forgot to say that I need some advice of where and who it would be best to send the goods to. I was thinking that there may be a local branch of a charity in the area, or even the CFA, St Johns, etc.

Louie
AnswerID: 348206

Follow Up By: Tim - Stratford (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 20:05

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 20:05
Louie,

Great idea. I'm in Gippsland (away from fires) and the Shires effected are West Gippsland, Latrobe and Wellington Shires. The Shires run 'MECs' - emergency management speak for the HQs and normally they would be the first port of call - often directing donations to the relevent charity.

Sorry I can't help with the effected Shires in the West/North West.

One of the removalsit companies from Vic may do the transport for nothing as a back load. I can hunt around for some other names, but a couple of local ones to me are Ed Fountain Removalist (Sale) and Andersons removalists (Maffra).

There is also the ABC site for State wide offers of assistance - pretty good I reckon!

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2009/02/06/2484632.htm

All the best - and THANKS!

Tim - Stratford, Vic.
FollowupID: 616431

Follow Up By: Louie the fly (SA) - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 20:12

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 20:12
Thanks for that bit of info Tim. I'll try those two removalists tomorrow. HAve also contacted a national freight carrier and will await their response tomorrow.

Louie
FollowupID: 616433

Reply By: Bytemrk - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 21:54

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 21:54
This might help:

ABC News Victorian Help Offers

Cheers, Mark
AnswerID: 348239

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Monday, Feb 09, 2009 at 08:02

Monday, Feb 09, 2009 at 08:02
Louie
Good thoughts coming from you mate, I know where your heart is , but I believe there are more professional organisations that will do a magnificent job in donations like Red Cross, The Salvo's, Banks, St Vinnies, etc and ect, I'm not saying for you to not try but I think your working on a knee-jerk reaction and emotional feelings , but as I said good on you and good luck,

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 348276

Sponsored Links