Upgrading from a ML triton to a Pajero need some advice

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 11, 2009 at 15:36
ThreadID: 65895 Views:4397 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have been told by my wife that we need to upgrade to a larger car, as we have another child on the way.
We both like the Pajero's but i am unsure on a few things, Firstly

What Model NP or NS, is there anything i need to know about either of these models, any common problems?

What Spec level GLX, GLS, VRX, EXCEED,

Petrol or Diesel? after buying my first diesel 12 months ago (the Triton) and being taken to the cleaners paying 40 cents or more for a litre of diesel over unleaded i am open to going back to a petrol.

And the most important question for me anyway

Will the pajero go as far as my Triton?
I am driving a 2008 ML triton Dual cab, Auto, DID, stock suspension with 32" BFG a/t (265/75/16)
I have taken the triton on the Merricumbene/Bendethera a few times, Stockton, Lithgow Powerlines track, Appin Play grounds just to name a few and it has not let me down
Is the pajero going to be able to do the same stuff?
I am worried about the IFS rear, should i be?
What about ground clearance?
I have been looking and lift kits to bring the pajero up to the tritons height (or alittle higher) and i like the look of a Dobinson/Lovell Spring shock 40mm lift combination any thoughts?
one last thing is the traction control all that good in the Pajero's?

Any info from Pajero owners & drivers would be much appreciated
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2009 at 16:14

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2009 at 16:14
You are asking some very specific personal type questions aren't you? - "What Model NP or NS, is there anything i need to know about either of these models, any common problems? What Spec level GLX, GLS, VRX, EXCEED," I thought personal tastes and finance would dictate the choice here.

Regarding diesel vs petrol - haven't you noticed diesel has occasionally been cheaper than petrol? Iit has on the NSW central coast.

Where do you require the extra space? Seating or luggage? If you do not need more than 5 seats then I think the Pajero will be a downgrade. If you use the extra rear seats then then you will have very little luggage space left.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 348604

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2009 at 17:35

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2009 at 17:35
KT

My sympathy goes out to you.

She does the irresponsible thing and then expects you to have to upgrade your vehicle!

I guess it could have been worse - she could have blown the baby bonus on non-essentials ;-)

Bob
AnswerID: 348609

Reply By: chisel - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2009 at 18:19

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2009 at 18:19
Obviously space will be reduced in the pajero but comfort increased, especially with kids. I nearly went with a 2004/2005 DiD pajero recently but eventually went with a cruiser. I don't think you'll go wrong with that model (NP) as there is nothing else for competition (only the prado but the diesel from that era is underpowered and uses too much fuel).
If you are considering NS pajero then I think you should definitely look at the D4D prado.
AnswerID: 348622

Reply By: King Triton - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 09:01

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 09:01
Thanks for the quick replies.
ok here goes some answers to your questions.

The reason for asking about models NP or NS is because i want to know what people think is a better choice as i don't know exactly what is standard with each model. The gear box could be better in the NP over the NS or vice versa etc. And then the question about GLX, GLS, EXCEED i want to know what people think is the better value for money, Is traction control standard on all models or should i only look for the higher end models as it standard.

Diesel is cheap at the moment but who is to say it won't rise back to 40cents a litre more next month

The main reason for the upgrade is the rear seat size, the triton only has two anchor points one on each side which then makes the middle seat useless and turns a 5 seater into a 2 seater.
The wife is not to keen on putting a baby seat on the drivers side as it would be pretty dangerous getting a child in and out with the traffic.

I know i will be losing rear cargo area but gaining comfort and the ability for 3 baby seats in the rear or 2 baby seats and still have a usable spare seat.

So what i am really asking is what do you think is the pick of the Pajero's between NP & NS and what options should i look out for
Traction control, rear diff lock etc ?
AnswerID: 348686

Reply By: Honky - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 09:48

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 09:48
Ask the questions on this site
http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/

Honky
AnswerID: 348693

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 09:50

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 09:50
Mate,
There's bugger all difference in spec/performance between the NP and NS. The current NT DiD has more power/torque than the earlier ones and would be my choice if I had the budget, but not much else has changed, apart from cosmetics.

For specific answers try the Pajero Club forum but basically the Paj will go anywhere your triton went.
The auto in the Paj is better.
The IRS is not an issue.
Ground clearance is better than a 'Cruiser.
Lovells or Kings give a 50mm lift. The standard shocks are good so consider just springs if upgrading early in life.
Traction control is good but like all these systems has it's limitations.
For me the VRX is the best version as I don't like leather seats in QLD.

Personally I drive a petrol with Injected LPG. Makes for much cheaper motoring. The downside is you loose the third seat well as a storage area as that is where the gas tank sits. Not a problem for me though.
AnswerID: 348694

Reply By: Diesel Power - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 09:50

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 09:50
G'day mate, I have a 2005 NP DID Pajero, I would stay with the diesel over the petrol for sure but get an auto as it matches the turbo engine very well and you dont get any lag like with the manual. Anywhere you have been with the Triton you will get with the Paj. A 40mm lift is a good idea a lot of owners are using a Bilstien/Kings combo with good results. My Paj is the GLX or poverty pack if you like. Comes std with air/steer/cruise/cd and traction control and stability control as well as abs so for a pov pack its pretty well equipped. One thing to remember is to switch off the stability control in sand, the traction control cannot be switched off. I didnt see the value in the exceed or GLS/VRX as the mechanicals are the same and all you get is extra gadjets or leather seats or more plastic which I did not need. You will find heaps of info on the Pajero Club Forum relating to all things Pajero too - well worth a look. All in all Im very happy with mine and it gets me the missus two kids the dog and our boat where we want to go with no fuss and an average of 10l/100.

Cheers and Beers
Scott
AnswerID: 348695

Reply By: King Triton - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 10:33

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 10:33
Thanks again for the quick replies,

I have joined the Pajero club Forum it took nearly 2 days to be authorised but now i am a forum member.
I have posted the exact same question over there.

AnswerID: 348703

Follow Up By: pickle - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 18:58

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 18:58
Sorry about that King Triton but I went on a drinking binge and didn't worry about new registrations.
Dave
FollowupID: 617012

Sponsored Links