Alternator replacement ??

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 15:12
ThreadID: 65912 Views:2161 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
G`day - G`day,

Thinking of replacing the alternator on the L/C 60 TD with a higher amp output one but I am having trouble finding one that has the pump on the back that will fit.

I have seen on another forum that an Isuzu N series truck has a 120 amp alternator with pump but I don’t know if it will fit.

Has anyone got any info OR suggestions on how this can be done.

Thanks in advance,

Scrubby
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 18:02

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 18:02
Unless you can track down a truck one with a higher output and the vacuum pump on the back you are stuffed as far as keeping it "standard".
Don't bother getting the alternator rewound to give a higher output as while you get a higher output it is only at the upper end of the rev range and when we tried it back in the 80's actually decreased the output at the normal diesel operating revs.
The other way to go is to get an electric vacuum pump and tank and use that for braking vacuum and fit a generic higher output alternator.
7XX series turbo Volvo's have an electric vac pump which will operate for years and a vac tank behind the front bumper if you can find one at a wreckers. They have an inbuilt "pressure" switch and you would probably need to use a small vac tank.
Alternatively you can modify any of the Thomas brand compressors (blue tongue, big red, the black and silver ones sold under different names) as they will suck enough if proper fittings are used on the intake side.
AnswerID: 348758

Follow Up By: Member - Scrubcat (VIC) - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 19:47

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 19:47
Thanks Peter,
Getting the alternator rewound was one option I was considering,so thanks for the info, it is no longer an option.

Scrubby
FollowupID: 617025

Reply By: Grungle - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 20:36

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 20:36
I would say you would be disappointed with a higher capacity alternator because your batteries would be taking as much current now with the current system as they would with a 120A model. If you had say 3-4 batteries though that were down on charge then the 120A alternator would indeed provide enough current to charge them all at once but a single battery, even when 50% discharged will only take 20-30 Amps max.

Just make sure you headlights are off as this alone will limit the available charge current by 25-50%.

Regards
David
AnswerID: 348781

Follow Up By: Member - Scrubcat (VIC) - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 21:26

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 21:26
Thanks David,
The problem I am having is when driving at night with lights on high the battery is very weak next morning.
I am assuming that the Alternator is not doing its job.
Headlights are H4 IPF 145/90 allowing for tail lights etc = 300 w
300w = 25 amp for 12 v

Something wrong somewhere ? ? ?

Thanks again,
Scrubby
FollowupID: 617036

Follow Up By: Grungle - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 21:36

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 21:36
Are you talking about the main (starter) battery or an aux battery?

What do you have running off the battery overnight?

I would start with the issue of why the battery is not holding its charge first than replacing the alternator. There could be many issues such as age of battery (ies), cabling, connections, accessory draw or even the alternator itself.

A good quality clamp meter to measure high current loads would be a start in identifying what your alternator produces (with all loads connected such as lights, fan, stereo, battery (ies) and accessories), what your battery (ies) take in for charge and what the loads draw from the batteries. Some voltage measurments will identify voltage drop accross your system.

Regards
David

FollowupID: 617042

Follow Up By: Member - Scrubcat (VIC) - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 23:31

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 23:31
David,
Main ( starting ) battery only, I have disconnected the aux.
Nothing running o/night.
Battery is 25 1/2 months old.

I fully charged it using a 20amp xantrex trucharge multi stage charger connected for about 21 hours, it was charging @ 0.2amps before I took the charger off so I reckoned it was fully charged.
After resting o/night voltage this morning was 12.82 v.
Voltage was 12.79v this evening prior to going for a 55 min drive with h/lights on H/beam .
I got home about 1 hr 50min ago and turned everything off ,the battery voltage now reads 12.34v, it will be interesting to see what it is in the morning. coz tiz past my bed time. LOL

Thanks again,
Goodnight.

Scrubby
FollowupID: 617060

Reply By: Member - Paul W (VIC) - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 21:10

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 21:10
There is a replacement with a pump included available, i fitted one to my mates 60 a few years ago, i cant remember what brand it was or how many amp output it was. 100a or thereabouts it was internally regulated. worked well charging 2 batterys,if you like i will ring him to check on its specifics. Paul
AnswerID: 348785

Follow Up By: Member - Scrubcat (VIC) - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 21:33

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 21:33
Thanks Paul,
That's what I was hoping to here, I would appreciate it if you could gather all info from your mate re. make, part No, size (amps),
any fitting hitches etc. etc.

Thanks again,

Scrubby.
FollowupID: 617039

Follow Up By: Member - Paul W (VIC) - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 22:00

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 22:00
straight forward fit, minor wiring changes. it was not hard to fit. i will ring him tomorrow. cheers Paul
FollowupID: 617047

Sponsored Links