BUYING A GQ PATROL (FIRST TIME 4X4) WHAT TO LOOK OUT FOR

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 16:34
ThreadID: 65915 Views:11485 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
hi, we are looking at buying a GQ Patrol and as this will be our first 4x4 is there any things to look for or check when going over it?. it is a 1992 model, long wheel base, on petrol/gas, auto, electric windows ect, it has been sitting for a while but seems to run fine. we are looking at getting this to be our tow car and give the Commodore a rest, and as we have never had anything to do with 4x4s before just seeing if there's anything to check on the Patrol (if they have any problem areas) and any main up keep type things to do for it, we are pretty strong on regular servicing and up keep of our cars.
thanks from chris.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tour Boy ( Bundy QLD) - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 16:46

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 16:46
Hi,
Rust in the rear doors and roof gutters.
Rear door rattles.
They are prone to cracking under the front firewall around the body mounts.
Some rear wheel bearings can be a problem and may need to be replaced every couple of years.
If it has a carby , make sure you switch over to petrol before you turn it off if not using it for a while, this will stop the seals and plunger drying out. ($700 for a new carby)

However they are fairly cheap to purchase and are generally reliable and certainly capable off road, dare I suggest more capable than you are. (overall nearly as good as a cruiser...LOL)
Cheers
Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 348742

Follow Up By: gonebush SA - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 16:55

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 16:55
hi, we have had a quick look over it and as for rust we could only see one small bit around the side rear window moulding and it is a carby type and your right with the gas we are use to that part, we will check over the other parts when we go to see it properly on Sunday thanks for the info from Chris
FollowupID: 616982

Follow Up By: Member - Tour Boy ( Bundy QLD) - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 17:05

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 17:05
If you hear alot of banging (like someone hitting the floor with a hammer) It will most probably be the body mounts I mentioned previously, It's this movement and slapping that causes the cracks.

That rust in the side windows can be worse than you can see and you may get water leaking into the vehicle.

If the rear doors are a bit rattley you may gat quite a bit of dust in the car. If you adjust the rear doors tight and put the spare onto a rear wheel carrier rather than the door you should just about eliminate the dust issue.

Also the patrol owners forums will provide you with good info
Cheers
Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 616986

Reply By: Camoco - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 17:19

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 17:19
Hi Chris,
I have a 1992 RB30 powered GQ with 375000 on it and it is sweet. I have not been in the habit of giving this vehicle any special attention and it has not suffered as a result. They are tough and the only rust issues I have noticed on mine were around the rear sliding windows as mentioned and this was repaired before the issue became a disaster. Once done I have been a bit careful to make sure no leaves get trapped but otherwise it's ignorance being bliss.

I also have had no rattles or undue noises. I had a mate who had a GQ (and mostly the reason I bought one) that spent most of it's time being support for rallies and it had a terrible time of being thrashed. It only recently was pastured due to aminor issue that was reasonably easily fixed but signalled time was due. It had well over 500000 on it and it ran a big V8 and was always going flat out no matter the terrain and fully loaded to boot.

Unless you are unlucky, your GQ should be a long time vehicle if you want it to be. Resale value isn't as good as it was but they are 17 years old now so should have bottomed out I would think.

I don't know which engine yours has, but my RB30 is a bit short on power, but it isn't very thirsty and that makes up for it. It's not a great tow vehicle if your patience is short though. If you are looking at the 4.2 then you should be fine all round.

Cheers Cam
AnswerID: 348749

Reply By: nickb - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 17:36

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 17:36
Generally they are a strong reliable truck.

The heads on the 4.2 petrol were a common problem while on gas. Worth getting checked by a mechanic.

And expect 20L/100km, more if you are towing, more again while on gas. Not much can be done to improve it much either.
(just a general figure, can use less if driven very gently)
AnswerID: 348753

Follow Up By: Member - William H (WA) - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 18:30

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 18:30
Grab a torch and have a look at the expire date on the Gas tank??????,

Cheers for now....William H...Bunbury...WA.
FollowupID: 617008

Reply By: gonebush SA - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 18:53

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 18:53
hi, just had an update it's a 4.2 motor, thanks for the info so far chris.
AnswerID: 348766

Reply By: GerryP - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 22:27

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 22:27
Hi Chris,

As NickB above has mentioned, heads can be a real problem with these on gas. While some enjoy years of trouble free running, others do not. I had one myself (89 carby model) which cracked the head 4 times before I finally gave up and traded her in. Others in our 4WD club have also had similar problems and removed the gas altogether.

Also, as mentioned earlier, not the most economical truck either. I used to get between 26 (petrol) to 30 l/100 on gas while towing.

Other than that, a fantastic vehicle which is virtually indestructible.

It would be worth trying to get some history if possible. If it's through a dealer, ring the previous owner.

Have you considered a diesel GQ? Not as much power, but a really good and reasonably economical motor.

Cheers and happy 4WDing...
Gerry
AnswerID: 348799

Reply By: Member - BUNDY BOY (WA) - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 00:04

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 00:04
Criss you cant realy go wrong......unless its way overpriced.mine spent two years.....running all over aus as my work vehicle .and still got us muddy and in the bush on weekends.......granted i replaced the motor with a new rb30.....but that was just all the miles done.....easy to work on .to many bolt ons you can get...it will make your head spin.......and way more reliable than a cruiser...( ducks for cover)........................there a great thing ..u will injoy ...
Bundy
AnswerID: 349315

Sponsored Links