CAPE YORK

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 20:23
ThreadID: 65921 Views:2958 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone towed a Kimberly Karavan to Cape York
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Grungle - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 20:31

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 20:31
Can you be a little more specific with the route you intend to take as you can take a 30 year old Viscount being towed by a VW Beetle to the Cape nowadays.

If you intend on doing the OTL, Virilya, Chilli Beach etc. then that is a different story.

Regards
David
AnswerID: 348780

Follow Up By: Paul Ayers - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 21:01

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 21:01
No planned route as working out possibilities,how many options and to to appreciate what there is to see is there a must route
FollowupID: 617033

Follow Up By: Grungle - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 22:09

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 22:09
Well (and this is my personal opinion) you have not done the Cape until you have driven the OTL. I believe this OTL track IS the Cape and it's ruggedness and beauty sums up what this area is all about.

We have taken an Aussie Swag Camper up the OTL and have seen other campers up there as well - most without incident. Kedron caravans did do a DVD on taking one of the caravans up the OTL but it was a tough trek and they did have a support crew. I suggest you track down a copy and see for yourself.

I believe you will need to do 3-4 Cape York trips each consisting of around 4-6 weeks to fully experience AND enjoy the Cape in it's entirity. We have done 3 trips and am thinking of a 4th this year. There is always something new to see if you really WANT to explore this region.

It can be hard and it can be easy. The key is to take it slow and treat every obstical as an unknown. We have seen the toughest 4wd's come to grief on the first river crossing and seen the oldest jellopy drive everything. This is what makes it the adventure it is.

We have seen some people leave the caraven at Twin Falls and then backtrack to Bramwell Junction to start the southern part of the OTL then camp in the van at Twin Falls. Next day they drive the northen part then back track to camp at Twin then take the caravan via the bypass to Seisha. Its a bit of a trip but once you do it you won't look back.

I would have to say that it would be pretty difficult in a caravan but I do not know you, your driving style, what you caravan is capable of or what you are prepared to put it through. I know my capabilities as well as my 4wd and campers and I tend to make my own decisions on where I want to go but then I am a little more 'ambitous' than most. I know I can drag my camper on its ass through most tracks and it will still sit up and ask for more.

Our first trip is documented on our website -> http://www.grungle.com/capeyork02.html but this was without a camper. I have been too lasy to put up the other trips but each has been different but a great experience.

One parting comment though - research is everything.

Regards
David
FollowupID: 617049

Reply By: Hunt - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 21:56

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 21:56
Hi Paul, we went up there last year in September with some friends that were towing a Jonnos Camper Trailer we went up the OTL & also camped out at Virilya & didn't have any problems at all.
The only real problem was that 3 weeks up there wasn't enough, if you have half as much fun as we did you will be hooked and planing your next trip back before you leave.
AnswerID: 348795

Reply By: Member - Glenn H (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 21:57

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 21:57
Gidday Paul, here is a site link of a Kimberley doing exactly what you asked. http://www.cameroncaravanssa.com.au/page.asp?parentid=91&parent2id=93
Enjoy your trip and check out the Trek note for Cape York and Places for pix. Cheers, Glenn
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 348796

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 10:38

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 10:38
What are you pulling it with and how modified is the tow vehicle?

In my Patrol I wouldn't hesitate Paul. There will be instances where you will need to take bypass tracks of some of the nastier crossings but if you take it easy you will romp it in. I saw a Mazda T3500 motorhome up there the year that I went, it took the bypass all the way but it was still up there. Do your homework (it seems you are by asking this question) and enjoy the trip of a lifetime.

Unlike some of the replies, I understand the Karavan is not a camper trailer and a few extra factors need to be taken into account but it is a very capable van so if your tow vehicle is up to the towing task in this extreme environment I would suggest the van is too.

Take care and send us some photo's you lucky sod hehehe.
Trevor.
AnswerID: 348828

Reply By: wendys - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 17:33

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 17:33
We saw a couple of trakmasters at Punsand that had done the OTL Track, though I think they'd taken the cut through north of Sam Creek to the bypass road. They had also done the Frenchmans Track from Iron Range. Seemed to have survived ok. Personally think worrying about towing something in those conditions would reduce enjoyment of the trip.
AnswerID: 348896

Sponsored Links