Trailer Plugs

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 10:21
ThreadID: 65964 Views:2673 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
When your camping Trailer is set up and the vehicle is removed from the trailer, how does one protect the 7 pin flat plug and Anderson plug from the elements? I guess a plakkie bag taped over the plugs, but what about dummy receptacles that the 7 pin flat plug and Anderson plugs can plug into? I just want to gauge what other members may have come up with.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 10:24

Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 10:24
For Anderson Plugs, you can buy soft plastic push on covers. I think Derek Bester from ABR (advertiser on this site) sells them. I had them on my previous vehicle and CT, but did not bother when I changed to new vehicle and van.

Norm C
AnswerID: 348996

Reply By: Oz Trekker - Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 10:48

Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 10:48
Supercheap sell a blank reciever bracket for both types of plug. Have them on my own trailer. Only about 7-8 dollars each.
Been here, been there, goin again!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 349004

Follow Up By: RV Powerstream P/L - Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 11:13

Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 11:13
You can get both Safety Boots and Dust Caps for Anderson Plugs in all sizes 50A 175A and 350A in Australia.
The Dust Cap fits on the plug end when disconected from each other and the Safety Boot is fixed on the cable end to stop ingress of dust and moisture into the back of the Plug and is a permanent fitting and can be retro fitted.
The 50A Caps and Boots are not as expensive as stated above and Boots are not from available from Super Cheap even thought they are cheaper.
Ian
FollowupID: 617215

Reply By: Max - Sydney - Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 12:28

Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 12:28
For what it is worth, I have never protected the plugs on the trailer / caravan. I let them hang with the pins down, and if it looks a bit damp stick them under the gas bottles.

They wear mechanically before they rust, and the rubber boot over the cable end seems pretty waterproof.

On the car I do as others say - put a plastic cover from ABR on the Anderson Plug, mainly to stop any inadvertent short on the live points, and of course the flat plug has a cover.

Max
AnswerID: 349019

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 14:58

Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 14:58
When the caravan is disconnected I drape the power leads and chains over the A frame. If their has been damp weather give the elec leads a spray with WD40 before connection.
As for the vehicle both the van connection and camera connection have covers as for the anderson plug I have one of the covers mentioned.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 349035

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 18:57

Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 18:57
We have the rubber covers for protecting the andersons plugs but dont use then anymore.While living in Kununurra I used them and had them on for two months(during the end of the wet).Next time I went to use the camper, both anderson plugs were badly corroded and gummed up had to be cleaned thoroughly before they would allow voltage to flow.
AnswerID: 349064

Follow Up By: RV Powerstream P/L - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 18:13

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 18:13
Nick
Thats like going out in the rain with a hat and coat on forgetting your pants and wondering why your legs get wet.

Using the Safety Boot and the Dust Cap you can eliminate that problem.
Ian
FollowupID: 617462

Reply By: Member - Royce- Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 22:17

Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 22:17
I thought it was standard to have to pick out the mud before you plug them back in.... seems a bit woosey to 'protect them from the elements'....

My stock trailer has to have a new plug each year.... it gets way more than just mud inside... and my son always drags it along the bitument once each year.... [well,, maybe I did once too]

AnswerID: 349087

Reply By: G.T. - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 14:16

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 14:16
Another option is to mount a female plug on your vehicle and trailer. Make up a lead with a male plug at each end. This lead obviously connects the two vehicles and can be stored away when not in use, you don`t have a lead dangling around to get snagged on something. The female plugs have their own spring loaded covers as protection. Worked for me on my trailer.
Regards G.T.
AnswerID: 349482

Sponsored Links