If you’re selling the car, what are the accessories worth

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 21:06
ThreadID: 66017 Views:3584 Replies:10 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
When selling a 4WD is there a rule of thumb placed on the value on improvements to the vehicle?

I’ve spent approximately $14,000 on the usual things such as bull bar, drawer system, water tank, roof rack etc, but wouldn’t know how to value these on a 2.5 year old vehicle.

My first thought was to devalue them at the same rate of the car.

Any ideas?

Regards

Kim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 21:12

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 21:12
Probably worth what a buyer will pay for them.

I have $11,000 worth and all insured for replacement cost.
If I sell it, will strip most out and sell them separately.
Will be worth more that way.

AnswerID: 349276

Reply By: Axel [ the real one ] - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 21:21

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 21:21
Worth only what someone is prepared to pay in a PRIVATE sale , dealers in general dont factor in the aftermarket inprovements for the tradein price ,they do however add $$ when they sell ,, a vehicle listed by the "redbook" at say $30,000 is worth to dealers just that ,even though it may have $15,000 dollars worth of accessories attached when they buy.
AnswerID: 349278

Reply By: Best Off Road - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 21:21

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 21:21
Kim,

They're worth virtually nothing in, and on, the car.

Second hand dealers (and Eric will correct me if this is wrong) have a basic chart of prices according to year, mileage, general condition etc. They pay accordingly.

You'll rarely see a used 4wd with much in it. The dealers generally strip out the gear, clean it up and make it look nice.

Their value is better assessed on the second hand market (Trading Post etc) as stand alone items.

I see a lot of vehicles and some of the gear people buy second hand at "bargain basement" prices is amazing.

I recently popped into a local yard to do a measure on a vehicle for a set of Drawers, got chatting to the owner and he showed me a set of Drawers he had removed from a 4wd to get it ready for sale. Bloody good they were, professionally built, but they did not enhance the vehicle.

Odd, but true.

Cheers,

Jim.

AnswerID: 349279

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 23:22

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 23:22
****got chatting to the owner and he showed me a set of Drawers he had removed from a 4wd to get it ready for sale. Bloody good they were, professionally built,***

So you obviously didnt make them Jim ! lmao

Sorry buddy is was staring right at me and i couldnt resist lol!

Cheers
FollowupID: 617554

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 09:57

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 09:57
. . . . that's been my experience when trading in vehicles - accessories are often considered a cost, as they often remove a bullbar and have to buy a bumper bar before putting it on sale.
FollowupID: 617597

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 10:37

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 10:37
Cruel Wayne, very cruel :-)

FollowupID: 617599

Reply By: Eric Experience - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 21:24

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 21:24
Kim.
If a car yard gets a car like yours they will pay someone to remove all the "improvements " and put it back to standard, that way it is easier to sell. I suggest you do the same. Eric.
AnswerID: 349281

Reply By: Member - Royce- Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 22:04

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 22:04
Half to a third of the original price.... maybe..
Sometimes they detract from the vehicle.
Sadly... it breaks your heart, after you have thought so long on what you want to do, raise the money, fit the parts and stand back and admire your work.

The buyer tends to look at mileage, rust, general condition and a bargain. The extras may make them buy with more enthusiasm, but not pay a lot more.

I know from harsh experience!
AnswerID: 349291

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 06:03

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 06:03
I learnt very early on that to a stealer accessories are worth nothing unless they "pretty" it up. Aircon is one of the few that they will pay extra for. As a dealer told me, all cars have fuel tanks, bumpers and towbars, it doesn't matter whether they are gold plated or factory options, worth no more than a selling point. Anything else thye will probably just remove before sale, even winches and bullbars as they don't want anything to show that it may have been "used"
As has been said you may get something on a private sale if the buyer is after a set up vehicle but they won't want to pay much extra, nothing like the original cost.
You might get 20 -30% of original cost by removing and selling just the accessory. I usually remove them and fit to the next one.
AnswerID: 349324

Reply By: Kim and Damn Dog - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 09:41

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 09:41
Thanks fellas

I'll use 20% of the original value as a guide.

Regards

kim
AnswerID: 349338

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 10:39

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 10:39
Kim,

You'll do better than 20% with your Outback Drawers, they hold their value well.

Cheers,

Jim.

FollowupID: 617600

Reply By: Crackles - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 20:14

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 20:14
On the car I'd guess they'd be worth 2 to 3K. Off the car sold seperately they seem to bring 50 to 60% of new price depending on condition & the item in question. ie: a diff lock 2nd hand would be lucky to bring 30% but a roof rack (which never wears out) may bring 60%.
Occationally one can find someone who has an appreciation for all this gear that will pay a reasonable dollar. I've heard of one fella who not only wanted to buy the car with all the assesories but wanted the fridge, tent & all the camping gear as well as he liked the setup & wanted it now. Perhaps a 4 sale sign in the window while parked at the Wandin 4x4 show.
Cheers Craig..................
AnswerID: 349399

Reply By: Sea-Dog - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 10:40

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 10:40
I recently had my car evaluated for insurance purposes... the guy that came out to the car to have a look had a clip board and the sheet of paper on it had a list of tick boxes.... when he went over the car he simply ticked the boxes as he went.

I was with him and tried to explain that this is this and that is that and he told me that the insurance company takes the mods into consideration but have a set price for each thing... and the price is incredibly low.

From memory my winch is worth around $100 ish... regardless whether it was a Ebay special or a top of the line gold plated job.. snorkel something like $50 etc etc.Suspension wasn't even considered even though it is all redone with heavy duty springs and poly airs and other bits etc.

It was enough to make me want to cry really after all the hard work to get the car set up the way I wanted it.

If I was to sell my car I would put a price on it that I would be satisfied with if I got X amount of money back.. If it wouldn't sell at that price I would consider selling the lockers seperately etc to try to get a few extra $$ back that way... but that is a long way around so not my preferred option.
AnswerID: 349448

Reply By: The Landy - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 11:07

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 11:07
The problem with accessories (from a resale and buyers perspective) is that anything more than 50% of replacement cost and you are probably better off buying new as you get warranty and brand new accessories. Although non-mechanical items like roof-racks etc may fare better than this.

On my Defender 130 the vehicle (and accessories) are devalued at the same rate each year for insurance purposes. But this would not reflect a resale value.

You didn't mention the reason for the question, but if you are selling your vehicle can you use any of the accessories?

Best to keep accessories to the bare minimum required for the intended vehicle use...best way to save on depreciation.

Cheers
AnswerID: 349456

Sponsored Links