Grenade replacement

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 23:29
ThreadID: 66022 Views:11019 Replies:5 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi has anyone out there ever replaced a zd30 with a td42?? Ive got a hold of a 91 GQ, and would like to know if there are any tricks involved in putting the Gq engine into my 03 GU. Any advice would be appreciated Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 00:21

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 00:21
You would have to fit the gearbox and transfercase as well. And probably re engineer the front end.......Big job!!!
AnswerID: 349316

Reply By: Mick15 - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 09:15

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 09:15
It'll go straight in, some bits and pieces may need to be changed, i'd guess the bellhousing may be different, but considering they run the same gearbox (assuming the zd30 is a manual) you could just use the bellhousing from the GQ - if the zd30 is auto then just swap out the GQ manual box along with the motor.
Engine mounts shouldn't be an issue as the GQ and GU run the same chassis - so you should just be able to pilfer gq bits if required.
One of the big things would be tidying up the electronics as the TD42 is not an electronic motor - you may get the dash telling you theres fault codes etc when you arent running an airflow meter, electronic controlled pump etc, tacho may need some thought to make it work ok (one way would be to get the instruments out of a 4.2 GU)
All in there shouldn't be much custom work involved as the GU came out with the same motor you're looking at putting in, so if there are any parts that you require and cant pilfer off the GQ then you can get them from nissan or maybe a wrecker.
You also shouldn't have to worry about engineering as the td42 came out standard in that vehicle - and has less power than a zd30.
Cant think of anything else right now, but considering GQ and GU run the same chassis, diffs (with exception of width), suspension gearbox and most mechanicals.
There shouldn't be too much in it.
Really the main difference is a new body and the adoption of the ZD30. (rd28t, tb42, td42 were commont ot both models)
AnswerID: 349333

Follow Up By: Mick15 - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 09:18

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 09:18
Should have noted above that there was a smaller manual gearbox in both GQ and GU, it came with the rd28t and the rb30 (gq) and bears similarities with the vl turbo/skyline box.
FollowupID: 617588

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 09:16

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 09:16
Like Willem said, BIG job replacing it with GQ motor (definately need GQ g/box too). Try getting a 4.2 donor motor from the GU, I believe a Qld member called Grungle has done this to his 2.8 GU, if I remember right it cost him about 10G. Drop him a line and get all the low down.

Cheers, Trevor.
AnswerID: 349334

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 10:40

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 10:40
Errm,

Why does he "(definately need GQ g/box too)" ??

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 617601

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 20:19

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 20:19
Trevor

The 2.8 litres uses a different gearbox.

The 3.0 litre and 4.2 litre motors in the GU use the same gearbox.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 617668

Reply By: Mick15 - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 09:42

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 09:42
Ok then, a td42 GQ should have a plate in the engine bay on the drivers side, on this plate theres things like engine model/size, paint colour, and manufacture plant.
There should be trans,axle and next to it there will be FS5R50A HG41 or something similar - thats off a 1993 GQ TD42
What thats saying is the gearbox model first (FS5R50A) and the diffs second (HG41) meaning a 4.1:1 diff ratio.

Check your GQ i'd say it will say the same, make a note of the numbers.

There should be a similar plate on the GU on the firewall somewhere, that will confirm or deny our ideas about whether the gearboxes are the same or different and if the diff ratios are the same. (or you could just give the box a visual check)

I'm pretty sure thought that the ZD30 runs the larger box...

A drama with convering an rd28t to a td42 (like was posted above by a member) is that apart from having a smaller gearbox the rd28t usually had 4.6:1 (HG46) diff ratios - fine if you want large rubber - not so fine for touring with a td42!
AnswerID: 349339

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 12:06

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 12:06
The 4.2 and 3.0 GUs run different diff ratios.

I can't remeber what they are right now but I know they are different. A full driveline swap should not be all that difficult if you have access to a decent workshop.

As others have said the hardware is pretty similar. The job should cost no more than the repairs to the ZD30, not that that makes it cheap.

Duncs
FollowupID: 617608

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 13:44

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 13:44
According to the various sources of information available to me,
The manual gearbox FS5R50B is used with all engines in the GU range, bar the RD28ETi, which uses the FS5R30A..

Not sure what (if any) difference(s) between FS5R50A and FS5R50B, apart from the fact the FS5R50B has no provision for a PTO...

All GQ and GU variants use the same transfer case (TX12A)

ZD30 runs 4.3 diffs, and 4.2 (GU) wagons run 3.9
Easier to fit larger tyres than changeing out the driveline (or even just the diff centres) I would think;-)

The only question I would have with the conversion proposed here, would be the location of the engine mounts on the chassis, but this should be easy enough to rectify if necessary.. existing TD42 bellhousing should bolt straight up to the GU 'box (assuming it's a manual, of course;-))

Regards, Ed C

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 617618

Follow Up By: 4wdr - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 20:00

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 20:00
Thanks all; ive had a look at the id plate and the only difference is the (B) after the gearbox and the GU has 4.3 ratio compared to the GQ's 4.1. Ill have to weld the GQ mounts in as they sit further forward on the chassis but apart from that,all looks fairly straightforward.I will update you all as i progress,without (hopefully) too much pain : ) Cheers,
Paul
FollowupID: 617663

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 22:53

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 22:53
I may be wrong, but I thought there was some stupid law that prevented you from using a replacement engine of an older vintage than the one it was replacing?

Having said that, I would think there would be a number of issues surrounding finicky things like throttle cable (3 litre GU doesn't have one) and instruments....trying to sort out the wiring loom could end up in an exercise of total frustration......

Still, if Project TONI was a success, then I'd guess that all these issues can be solved.
FollowupID: 617706

Follow Up By: Mick15 - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 23:58

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 23:58
Yea i think there is some law about older engines in new cars, but i'm pretty sure it would be ok if the car its going into was offered with the same engine that was going in - which it is - eg, you couldn't put a td42 into a current gu as they aren't offered from the factory with one.
Yea you'd need a new accelerator pedal for the cable throttle, maybe the one from the gq would work.
The beauty of the td42 is that you really don't need much to make it run, some sort of pump solenoid control - stop/run/start, glow plug circuit, temp sender, tacho output and not a whole lot else - if you were to put a zd30 in place of a td42 however, now THAT would require some wiring!!
Also just for information, the early td42 (93 and prior) had heavier pistons and were more suited to turbocharging than the later ones - until the factory turbo ones came out - a few other difference also like con rod sizes - not that its a big deal, also although the gearboxes are the same to fit up, earlier ones had a pto output on the passenger side (as mentioned above) and in the gq they went from having wider ratios to close ratios - this happened in around 1995, not sure where they went to in the newer models though.
If you were putting a naturally aspirated td42 into a gu then youd probably appreciate having 4.3:1 diffs as it may be a bit sluggish - would also be a prime candidate for 32 - 33" tyres 285/75.
FollowupID: 617713

Follow Up By: 4wdr - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 23:43

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 23:43
Hello there everybody,well ive had success replacing the grenade with the td42.I changed the bellhousing welded new mounts in for the motor and today i got her up and running.Feels great to be able to drive the beast again.So far the only thing that i havent been able to make work is the tacho and the temp gauge,any takers on a solution?Oh i also have to get a gq aircond comp. and bracket and fit it up.Im back to being a happy patrol owner,i would recommend doing this for anybody thats had a grenade explode on them thats for sure.See you all on the trail !!!
Paul
FollowupID: 621190

Reply By: 3.0turbob - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 09:47

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 09:47
Do a search for "Project TONI"
AnswerID: 349340

Sponsored Links