to chip or not to chip?

Submitted: Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 16:10
ThreadID: 66030 Views:4111 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
howdy all,

do i chip or not ?? i know there is one brand tuneit and some german brand but iv been told if im goin to chip then i had betta do a exhaust system as well... is it ok to chip commonrail ??? iv asked holden and basicly they said if stuffs upp some how my new car warrenty is gooooooone.... ARB arnt doing their safri one anymore after bad sales "coopers plains anyways"

one other thing while im in here... what would be the top things to have goin to the cape ?? im thinking the ARB air compressor would like airlocker but thats like 1 thousand each for front and back
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 16:13

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 16:13
Check out DP Chip,

They offer the black box and also provide some sort of warranty apparently.

AnswerID: 349371

Reply By: Member - Tony B (Malanda FNQ) - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 16:57

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 16:57
shaneo86 - This is something I have steered away from. The Holden has enough power where it is needed, so why would you want to do it anyway, would be interested to know because I have looked at the option? I have always said to get the power you have to use the fuel. So you would also have to factor that in as well.
I am yet to find a situation where lack of power is an issue with the Holden even when I tow my boat. Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 349377

Follow Up By: Member - Tony B (Malanda FNQ) - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 17:26

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 17:26
As for the Cape. The Holden lacks good ground clearance, used to bottom out on sand tracks & deep rutted tracks going to Cape Flattery & other Cape Tracks North of Cooktown. The Snake Racing 3" Lift stopped all that problem. I have had to use the winch a few times on Cape tracks every now and then. Most of the time you van get away with all that gear, depends how adventurous you are and what you like to tackle 4 x 4 wise. You can do the telegraph track in a stock 4 x 4, I used to when I worked up there and before any roads were graded, just take the easy tracks around the hazards. You do not need the lockers but thay are good to have just in case. I put the LOKKAs in the front with Free Wheeling Hubs, as the rear has a good LSD and they work well.
So in a nutshell, you can do the trip without all the gear easily enough, if you have all the gear you can get a lot more adventurous. Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 617642

Follow Up By: shaneo86 - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 20:02

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 20:02
g'day Tony,

I have the colorado they highest i can go is 45mm high thats it kinda sucks as some of the dvds of the cape the ruts are huge the colorado has the shift on the fly button from wat iv read on reports on the colorado is that suspension isnt that good.. but from taking it out the back of work we have found we got sweet arse wheel travel in the back.

the chip from OPL was like 1,300 to me thats a rip thats good tjm springs and everything and allmost the lift see iv bought this car not to be a city show poney.. i wanna come back and say i tryed and i got stuck wats the point of having a 4wd if you dont see wat it can do thats my theory...

i think ill put off the lightforce lights till later on i have the cb and bull bar allready got the tjm summer speical bullbar and snorkle sweeet.... i think i might look at good tent was thinking about wat you have as im getting a canopy as well flexi i think as well as duel battery that is a must went to rainbow and yea what a pain n the real swaping from car battery to waeco battery as well as getting some 12 plugs for under the tray.

sucks having a trip coming upp and then all these things that ill need dont like the idea going all the way up there and all my things in the tray just a bad feeling upp there water...pubs.... low lifes just hope i can get the basic stuff to do me for that trip this winter i HOPE
FollowupID: 617664

Follow Up By: Member - Tony B (Malanda FNQ) - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 20:59

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 20:59
shaneo86. I like using my 4 x 4 to the max as well. As I have said, Do not panic about not having a fully set up vehicle. I worked up in the Cape for a few years as a Roads Foreman and I was up there before the roads opened, as I was in charge of getting them graded & safe. I drove a Standard Hilux with Bar and a Landcruiser Ute with Bar & Snorkle. The hilux did not have a snorkel. The hilux went across the Pascoe River (Lockhart River/Iron Range road) when it was rising in flood at the start of the wet at waist deep, approx 1.2m deep (thats a story in itself). I camped out of the back of both these utes weeks at a time. I found most of the locals up the Cape to be very honest as we left our camps unattended all day long. We never lost any gear. I think you have to be unlucky to get gear stolen up the cape, but the world is changing. We did loose fuel from our machines some times, never found out who did this though, could have been people passing through? Others may have a sorry story to tell. The time of year you will be there you should not see the water crossings too deep and get into your tray. Pubs you do not have to worry about, from lakeland there is none to speak of! At least up to the ferry crossing. Takes time to put all the accessories on, just remember you do not need them all to have a good time. Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 617678

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 17:11

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 17:11
For the cape, snorkel for diesel, and good tarp for the front.
Decent AT tyres or better and a sensitive right foot to minimise wheel spin. Go with a friend.
Nothing really difficult that you can't detour around, and some deep crossings if you want to.
AnswerID: 349379

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 17:28

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 17:28
I have put the ARB airlockers (F&R) on the prado and have never regretted spending the $$$$$. On two occassions I would have been stuck in water (with nothing to attach winch cable to for at least 200mtrs) if it hadn't been for the airlockers. Water was lapping the bonnet at the time. You might not have to use them too often, but in my case it was $ well spent to save a lot of $ (could have been stuck in water for some time with water damage too boot).
Fred
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 349381

Reply By: Dion - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 08:14

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 08:14
Shaneo,
unless things have just changed between ARB and Safari in the last month, ARB do supply (and fit) the Detronic unit.
I just recently had one fitted to my '05 RA. The only regret was not having it done back in 2005.
My older '03 RA has the Tunit installed.
Side by side I would say the Tunit just ever so slightly will outperform the Detronic, but not by much, interestingly the older '03 has double the km (115,000) on it compared to my newer '05 (56000).

Cheers,
Dion.
AnswerID: 349435

Sponsored Links