The Coorong

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 17:10
ThreadID: 66051 Views:4492 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,Im doing a trip into South Australia and plan to do a couple of days at the The Coorong. where would be a good central location to stay in a good caravan park? Thanks.......
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mandrake - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 17:58

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 17:58
You might be a bit disappointed with the Coorong as its just about bone dry I am told ..

We stayed at Meningie on Lake Albert 2 years ago and its a very nice park but again I think the Lake has gone ...
Lake Albert Caravan Park

http://www.toptouristparks.com.au/ParkDetails.asp?jump=5&ident=lacp

Rgds

Mandrake
AnswerID: 349514

Reply By: Louie the fly (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 17:58

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 17:58
Julio, I think you may be limited to staying at either Kingston or Meningie as there is no caravan park at the Coorong. Neither are really central to the Coorong, but are both good parks from what I recall of them. Though I've never stayed at either of them. I'm not sure if there is a campground at Salt Creek or on the inland side of Tea Tree Crossing. Best to enter via 42 Mile Crossing anyway.

If camping at the Coorong I have a good map with all the camp sites, accompanied by an info page that describes each site. Send me $100 and I'll give you a copy. (just joking! mm me & I'll scan it and send it to you if you're interested).

Word of warning - don't drive below the high tide mark as the beach is soft shell grit and your car will sink like a stone.

Cheers

Louie
AnswerID: 349515

Follow Up By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 18:05

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 18:05
Man you guys are fast... just hit the enter key and you guys have 2 "posts" up before i finish. Just goes to show how many people watch this site.
Fred
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 617788

Follow Up By: Louie the fly (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 18:08

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 18:08
Nothin else to do!! Mrs cooking dinner, kids watching telly. Damn, I don't even have a beer.
FollowupID: 617790

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 18:01

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 18:01
I have never been there, but just for fun, looked it up on this site and the Camps Australia 4... found 3 caravan parks in the area, one at Policemans point, 2nd at Salt creek, and another at Wellington.Camp grounds - Old Coorong Road, and 42 Mile Crossing Campground. Hope this gets you started.
Fred
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 349516

Follow Up By: Louie the fly (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 18:07

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 18:07
Forgot about Policemans Point. I've only ever driven straight past it. It's just north of Salt Creek.

Louie
FollowupID: 617789

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 19:46

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 19:46
Coorong CP at Policeman's Point was the very best CP I'd seen but it the way of real estate a couple of years ago. If Camps 4 has something listed, maybe there is something else there now.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 617813

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 18:22

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 18:22

Taken from a powered glider in Feb '07.
Looking south east.

You can get to the mouth by 4x4 from either ocean side.
But watch it. Many vehicles have been lost over the years.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 349521

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 20:58

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 20:58
Jules,
Its been quite a few years since we've been to the Coorong, but we used to stay at Gemini Downs - which was 10km from Salt Creek. (you access the crossings from the loop road at Salt Creek).
http://www.geminidowns.com.au/

Coorong Info is summarised in The Coorong Tattler.

AnswerID: 349552

Reply By: skulldug - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 22:34

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 22:34
Julio,

If you only have a couple of days, I think you have received the advice you were after. Gemini Downs (if it’s still going?) would be my pick.

Now if you want to spend your 48 hours doing a genuine, life changing real Australian off-road trip, pick up one of the several amateur history books ( about ship wrecks etc) from Robe, Kingston or Salt Creek and read it while you are camping on the beach between 42 Mile Crossing and the Murray Mouth (SE to NW).

You will need to be pretty serious and do your planning carefully. Fuel is an issue as the sand conditions can vary. If it is soft it can be hard going but at other times it will be like driving on a highway. Be careful though (13 psi). Below the high tide line, particularly over the big swales, you will get bogged and if caught, the waves will swallow your vehicle.

The rewards can be stunning. To your left, the surf and salt spray look like a huge white curtain and to the right the sand dunes are superb. Occasionally, you will stop to examine the mysteries of the ocean. I have found carcasses of dolphins, turtles and fish I can't find in the books. Various driftwood and debris from passing ships will intrigue. Bits of plastic crates, old boots and what looks like ship wreckage are all commonplace. I have found a big glass ball covered in rope netting (old fishing buoy) and a military bomb like thing with a sign on it saying to report its location to the Navy.

Personally, I find a sandy camp site and the rancid smoke from a driftwood fire one of the more special experiences. You can camp on the beach but a long time ago, you were allowed to drive behind the fore-dune and camp out of the wind.

If you are into surf-fishing and get lucky you will get salmon and mulloway (sp??). Back behind the dunes you will see aboriginal middens or feasting sites. These are mounds of cockle shells in black sand which is charcoal from their fires. Look for flints and shaped stones. It is not out of the question to see a burial site. Hard to spot but basically some bones sticking out of the sand. In the ones I have seen, they were buried sitting upright.

If you walk across to the Coorong itself, you can look for fresh water reeds growing at the edge of the saline lake. This is where the fresh water percolates through the sand and you can dig down a few feet and drink it. If you have a flash light and hand spear, you will get flounder in the lake at night.

Gee’z I love this country.

Skull
AnswerID: 349567

Sponsored Links