Keeping the weight down?

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 11:10
ThreadID: 66158 Views:4526 Replies:8 FollowUps:20
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,
I'm starting to consider options for setting up the nissan for some extended touring.
I weighed the car yesterday and it came to 2810kgs, empty!!
The car is a nissan 2004 guIII TD6 with Kamar rear bar, ARB winch bar(no winch yet) 2 batteries, full of fuel(standard tanks) and roof rack(empty).
According to the rego papers the GVM is 3040kg!!
That gives me 230kg for passengers, water and all the camping/recovery, fridge, spares, food and general gear - no way!
Is it possible to raise the legal GVM?
How do you guys with a similar car get around any insurance issue?
Don't want to tow anthing but may be neccessary.
A trailer would be usefull sometimes but a pain in the backside most of the time.
Any ideas....
Cheers Nifty
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 11:55

Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 11:55
Nifty

Don't worry about being over GVM. Whose going to know?

In saying that, I found that my old GQ, (GVM limit 2800kg) was struggling with all the weight out bush, so opted for a trailer. But I do concur that the trailer is a PITA.

Now the GQ comes in under GVM loaded with passengers and a bit of gear, while a 1 ton trailer follows behind with all of the camping stuff and spare fuel and water. Its a never ending compromise!

Cheers

AnswerID: 350219

Follow Up By: DIO - Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 19:58

Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 19:58
DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For crying out LOUD, Govts. spend billions of dollars trying to provide us with safer roads, realistic ADR and crash test compliance and you (YOU) say don't worry if you exceed the manufacturers recommended GVM. Guess it doesn't matter if the brakes, suspension, chassis etc don't cope. What is a safe 'overload' (in your humble, uninformed, arrogant opinion) 50kg 200kg 500kg whre does it end !!! I guess it's all too bad and just rotten luck if someone who took your advise was (WAS) involved in a collision (note I didn't say accident) and innocent parties suffer injuries or worse still death. Wouldn't want that on my consience thank you. Sorry mate, any credibility you might have had has just been 'shot down'.
FollowupID: 618594

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 20:49

Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 20:49
Ah! Mr Plod shows up!

I do not seek credibility.

I do not advise anything to anyone.

I don't care what you think.

I have a clear consience!

I am a social commentator giving my opinion on a variety of subjects. People who may take what I say as advice, have to be responsible for their own actions.

You, DIO, whoever you may be, apply guerilla tactics to this forum. You only comment once and have never ever continued with a discussion within a thread. That is probably why no one takes much notice of you. But I feel compelled to wind you up.

I would like to ask you just where these Safer Roads are? Certainly not in at least 90% of this country.

Manufacturers 'Recommend'. Governments legislate. Most times the vehicle is overloaded it soon comes back to GVM or below as fuel load and other consumables are used. And to this I say don't worry. It's no use stressing over it.

And here my non-advice to you and anyone else who cares to read this, ends.................
FollowupID: 618601

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 11:12

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 11:12
Gday,
Yeah..Im with you Willem...I wouldnt have a clue what my vehicles weigh?
There are some people around who have enough sense to load there car to what they consider a safe limit (taking the road/track conditions your suspension and driving style into consideration)and drive it accordingly.
That DIO tosser is one of those fools who would put all the weight up on the roof because the book says you can, and then complain when he rolls it going around a corner because there wasnt a sign telling him what speed he was allowed to do!!!!
He obviously cant think for himself!!!

DIO...I know you wont reply, cause you never do, You just throw in the "law according to DIO" a heap of abuse and then climb back into your hole..BUT...
If you do read this...I think,These laws and recomendations have been made to try and iDIOt proof the world.....to try and take the thought out of making decisions....to think for fools who cant think for them self!! A bit like yourself maybe?
If you know the capability of you vehicle and that it is all in good condition. If you arent going to drive at half the speed your vehicle was designed to do carrying a particular weight and if your going to spend 99% of your trip out in the middle of know where, where you couldnt hurt anyone but your self, what would be wrong throwing in an extra bit of weight?
Maybe everyone in your little world cant think for themselves but if you stayed out of your hole for long enough, you might find that most of the people in this country arent as stupid as you would like to think!!!!

Aaahhh ....thats better/

Cheers
FollowupID: 618674

Follow Up By: Dunco (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 11:18

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 11:18
Well said Dio

And don't be so arrogant and derogatory calling people "Mr Plod" Willem... Perhaps we should call you Mr GOB

FollowupID: 618675

Follow Up By: Dunco (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 11:23

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 11:23
Why do people get personal and start name calling just because someones says something that YOU do not agree with.

Keep it calm Willem and Hairy... gees guys, grow up !!!!

And Willem...I said "perhaps" we should call you Mr. Gob.

FollowupID: 618676

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 11:38

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 11:38
"Why do people get personal and start name calling"
Why???
Comments like-
" (in your humble, uninformed, arrogant opinion) "
and
"any credibility you might have had has just been 'shot down'."

Possibly comments like that from someone who has never had the balls to sensibly debate ANY of their pesonal attacks they have EVER made?, right or wrong....eventually people get annoyed??
Sorry, but I reckon if you going to give it out, expect to get a bit back.
FollowupID: 618682

Follow Up By: Top End Explorer Tours - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 12:02

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 12:02
DIO has never debated the courage of his convictions, Every time this person has posted, It has been a one off in your face comment then NOTHING else, Therefore no one holds any of his comments with any credibility.

Until this person debates his comments with any conviction, be it right or wrong, he will be held with contempt.

Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 618688

Follow Up By: Dunco (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 12:40

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 12:40
But Steve, why then do you even bother replying to the message...leave it be and then he may get the message.

There is no need going tit for tat. That is childish

FollowupID: 618695

Follow Up By: Top End Explorer Tours - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 13:21

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 13:21
Dunco when you say "why do you", I assume you mean the broader community, as I haven't responded to this person in some time.

I guess this person rubs some people up the wrong way, most of his/her comments are personal attacks, such as his/her response to Willem's post above.

I guess that because of his/her long established record of personal hit and run verbal attacks, those that respond to him/her now just try to provoke a debate and make him/her justify his/her comments.

Just my observations.

Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 618706

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 15:12

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 15:12
Hey Dunco

Whats wrong with getting personal? Hm?

If the moderators don't like it then whoosh!...its gone.

There are lots of ideas floating around in the world. Some say do this and some say do that and some just have to get their ire up about things over nothing. Like you, Dunco,...You are winding yourself up like a clockwork mouse

The fella I call Mr Plod is a Policeman in real life. He will always come and give the law abiding do-gooder, yum yum, polly wants a cracker speech about how we should live. In the four or so years that he has fequented this site he has seldom made sense. He goes out on a limb to annoy people. So, the way I see it.......An eye for an eye.

I am in my second childhood and excel at being childish. So many people on this forum tell me that. I an pretty much going to continue along that vein. I wrote a fictional story once and posted it here on the forum and one fella got so upset that he asked that I be removed from the forum for good for telling lies. He has since calmed down. Maybe you will too.

Ta Ta

FollowupID: 618722

Follow Up By: Dunco (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 15:57

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 15:57
Why do you say I am wound up...because I called your reply childish?
Or because I told you to grow up ?

Wow, I must be wound right up to write those comments !!

hahahaha.

And I still think it is derogatory to call a policeman "Mr Plod". My opinion...not everyone's. .....99% of cops to a wonderful job...look at what they are doing in Victoria...are they Mr. Plods ?

Gee...maybe I better not write anymore as I might wind myself up even further and spring off through the roof !!!

FollowupID: 618731

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 18:59

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 18:59
Dunco

I call someone Mr Plod

You call me childish

What's the difference?

We are both tarred with the same brush

>look at what they are doing in Victoria< What has that got to do with the scheme of things?

Some of you blokes are real girls, you know!

Go and have a shower and cool down....lol
FollowupID: 618775

Follow Up By: Dunco (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 19:55

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 19:55
I didn't call you childish...I said your replies were childish.

You call them Mr. Plod....and I say they don't deserve that...maybe you've had a bad time with the Law and have issues with them....is that the case ? Are you a criminal with issues with the Law and need to vent your anger by calling them names ? There are people that can help you with that so you can release your anger without name calling or being abusive. I will google them if you like.

Now, you better have a cold shower. I am going to sleep now that I am so relaxed.

G'nite Willem

FollowupID: 618778

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 20:21

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 20:21
Hahahahahahahahaha..yer a card. Me angry?...LOL

I see you change the format of the discussion to suit your own agenda.

Sleep tight old fella

FollowupID: 618787

Reply By: Dave(NSW) - Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 12:30

Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 12:30
Nearly every 4WD you see packed up and ready to go away would be over loaded, Not that it makes it right but you won't be the only one. My 2002 Patrol weighs exactly 3000kg empty,so with me only in it it is 50kg over.
Cheers Dave...
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 350221

Reply By: JR - Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 12:57

Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 12:57
If you have an accident or cause one you will be in deep and without insurance
Yes it is possible to raise GVM, needand engineers report and probably heavier springs and dampers

Look seriously @ rear bar, these are very heavy, carry a second tyre case on the roof and repair kit, youll save heaps of kg by doing this

JR
AnswerID: 350224

Reply By: Maîneÿ (wa) has - Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 13:02

Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 13:02
For *extended* touring I would definitely tow a trailer...

I did it for many years, when you have electric brakes on the trailer you would not even know it was there!!

With the weight distributed back into the trailer with things you don't NEED on a daily basis it can be there for the 'extras' when you do need them.
Put most of the water and any added fuel into the trailer too.

The tow vehicle will drive much better with less weight and be more comfortable to be in also, particularly on corrugated dirt roads, you will notice it after a few hours of outback dirt roads or narrow tar roads where the vehicle response is imperative to avoid potholes etc
So much easier on your tyres, suspension, you as the driver and your piece of mind too.

Mainey . . .
AnswerID: 350225

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 19:27

Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 19:27
Mainey,

despite the bleatings of the anti trailer lobby it is also kinder to the tracks. Spreading the weight over six wheels avoids the massive overloading of the rear wheels. It is the weight carried by each wheel that chomps up tracks.

Bob
FollowupID: 618588

Reply By: Splits - Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 13:16

Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 13:16
Nofty

I think Willem has the right idea. I just had a look at Nissan's site and the carrying capacity of all models ranged from 548 kg to 694 but all towing capacities were well over 3000kg. A full load of passengers, fuel and a little luggage in the back would account for the carrying capacity leaving the car running within its design limits with maximum reliability but all the rest of the gear is supposed to go out the back.

Overloading is never a good idea even though many do it. Any accident that brings out the accident investigation teams will almost certainly run you into big trouble with your insurance company and who knows who else. Reliability also suffers with broken wheel studs, over stressed parts and cracks in wheels, chassis, spring hangers etc etc. Anything that affects reliability is the last things you need when travelling in remote areas.

I solved this problem myself by buying a single cab ute but that would obviously not suit a couple with children. It weighed 1610 kgs the day I bought it with a full tank, an empty aluminium tray and no accessories. The registration papers listed the GVM as 2700kg. I have never had it anywhere near that weight.

Brian
AnswerID: 350227

Follow Up By: Member - Tony B (Malanda FNQ) - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 12:02

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 12:02
Brian. When you load yourself up for the extended around Australia trip, if you do that type of thing. Go down to the weigh bridge that WILL not lie. I posted last year about this, I am willing to bet that overloaded you will be. I have a single cab ute and I go over. Cheers Tony.
FollowupID: 618687

Reply By: Crackles - Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 21:22

Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 21:22
"Is it possible to raise the legal GVM?" Depending on the vehicle yes an upgraded suspension can be fitted, an engineers certificate sourced & the vehicle reregistered. Quite costly so the vast majority just go over weight.
The other option is to "cut the fat". In other words take everything off that's not required, down size & fit lighter gear. The old saying that everything you carry on an outback trip should have 2 uses ensures surplus stuff is left at home.
Instead of taking a 90L fridge/freezer take a 40L, fit alloy wheels, change over to Plasma rope, swap the steel bull bar for alloy & get rid of that overweight Kaymar boat anchor. Down size your stove, carry a spun steel camp oven instead of cast, in fact everything you take when touring has a light weight option.
For my last big trip to the Madigan despite needing to carry 320L of fuel & 140L of water, after I took off all the unnecesary gear I normally took on an outback run I had so much space I also took the roof rack off as it was no longer needed.
Still despite all that it's almost impossible for those in Wagons to stay under GVM in remote areas. PS: Buy a ute or troopy :-)
Cheers Craig..............
AnswerID: 350316

Follow Up By: Member - Tony B (Malanda FNQ) - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 11:53

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 11:53
Craig. I agree it is near impossible to keep your car loaded correctly. I tried but after doing the weigh bridge, I am a 200kg over when I start out fully loaded. As you say I could save a few kilos here and there but in the end you have to take out gear if you do not want to tow a trailer. There is a few heated comments above that is not worth getting involved in, but even though I go overloaded I can not agree with the above statements. For instance my car can safely speed in some situations, so overloading and driving to compensate is no different it is not legal. At the moment we get away with it as manufactures make toys and not real 4 x 4s so that can carry some realistic weight. cHEERS tONY
FollowupID: 618685

Follow Up By: Crackles - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 17:28

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 17:28
It's interesting how over time we collect more & more bits & pieces that we think we "Must Have" when in fact so much of it is unnecesary. I crossed the Simpson with a bloke who'd done it 26 times & was amazed at how little gear he had. No bull bar, no driving lights, no fancy storage system & a piece of bent mesh to cook on. The car, a TD Landcruiser tray would have been lucky to be carrying 600kg (Inlcuding the passegers) so not only did he get over the dunes the easiest but had the best fuel consumption as well.
Although small savings can be made with each individual item you carry it's the protection & storage gear that weighs the most. Between the bull bar, rear bar, side rails, winch & storage system there is over 300 kg & that is where the biggest weight savings can be made.
As far as going overloaded that's often what needs to do be done to take the family outback & it's just a matter of setting up the vehicle to carry that weight safely (If not legally) & drive according to the conditions.
Cheers Craig............
FollowupID: 618756

Reply By: Gramps - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 12:09

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 12:09
Boys, boys, boys !!! Feeling a bit frisky are we? Make your own decisions and stop nit-picking others. Anybody who takes advice on forums as Gospel is an accident waiting to happen.

AnswerID: 350382

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 15:16

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 15:16
Is that advice or just a comment?.....LOL
FollowupID: 618723

Follow Up By: Gramps - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 20:56

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 20:56
Hahahahahahaha take it whichever way suits. Ya bloody stirrer :)))

FollowupID: 618793

Reply By: downtools - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 08:19

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 08:19
Fella's......
Thanks for the replies!!
Buried amongst all that are some interesting opinions and some good advice.
I must have the nack of stirring you mob, the last question i asked about a different way to charge batteries brought out the beast in some of you!!
Good to see some healthy debate and stirring. A little passion in what we do always makes it more interesting and worthwhile.
For what it's worth, have decided to "cut the fat" where possible,
load the car sensibly for short to medium excursions and tow if essential.
Thanks for your time and input
Cheers Nifty
AnswerID: 350533

Sponsored Links