Fraser Island Conditions

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 16, 2003 at 12:27
ThreadID: 6619 Views:2760 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,

Well I am off some time in September to Fraser for the first time, can't wait and if even if its only half as good as people say it will still be heaven!

Has anyone here been recently? Are the tailor really on the bite yet? Is September a good time to go? Does it get very cold at night?

Also, does anyone know there is a air compressor where you get fuel on the island, like found at a normal petrol station? Also I have heard about an oil bath that you can drive through on the mainland before you go over, where is that located and how much does it cost?

Cheers and hope to see some of you on the beach!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: marcus - Saturday, Aug 16, 2003 at 13:15

Saturday, Aug 16, 2003 at 13:15
G'day Cruza,You will love Fraser and once you have been will keep going back.Not too sure whats biting at the moment.September will be fine and shouldn't be too cold at night.You will find air and fuel etc, at Orchid beach,Cathedral beach resort,Eurong beach resort,Happy Valley and Kingfisher Bay.At rainbow beach on the mainland there is a couple of oily type car washes where you drive your car into an enclosed shed and it is sprayed over and under with high pressure jets containing an oily solution.They recommend once before going onto the island and again after coming off when salty.It is a coin in the slot arrangement and the more money the longer time but i found about $10 gave a fair blast although i gave it extra time after coming off the island.Get a good map of the island as for your first time it will help you get around although the island is well signposted.I found Hema maps of Fraser Island to be one of the best. mark
AnswerID: 28098

Reply By: geoff - Saturday, Aug 16, 2003 at 13:26

Saturday, Aug 16, 2003 at 13:26
Hi ya Cruza,
I will let you know about the fish I'm leaving tomorrow morning for 10 days

Regards geoff
AnswerID: 28099

Follow Up By: Cruza - Saturday, Aug 16, 2003 at 15:04

Saturday, Aug 16, 2003 at 15:04
Thanks geoff that would be great!
FollowupID: 19454

Reply By: Mick - Saturday, Aug 16, 2003 at 23:49

Saturday, Aug 16, 2003 at 23:49
Cruza I think you should have your own compressor and a good quality tyre gauge. I think that these are "minimum requirements" - in the same league as a long handled shovel, a snatch strap and two rated shackles. There's not a servo at every point where you may need to adjust tyre pressure!! There's lots more you could have but at least have these as you can't expect others to inflate/deflate your tyres or use their strap to snatch you out of trouble.
AnswerID: 28140

Reply By: Prado Boy - Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 14:21

Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 14:21
G'day Cruza,

Some must have items for Fraser - a good map (Hema), snatch'em strap and D shackles, long handled shovel and a bull bag + Compressor (good quality one). Being self sufficient never hurts.

Also - I don't like to get fuel on the island itself - I always carry enough to see me through my time on the island. I've heard some nightmare stories about the fuel on the island.

September is a great time to visit - but then just about anytime is a great time to visit Fraser. It is a magic place that you'll need atleast a week to explore. Have a great time!
AnswerID: 28188

Reply By: Steve - Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 20:31

Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 20:31
Just been up there for a holiday but if i say anything about the place all the know alls will shoot me down ... so will just sit this one out !!!

Ta Rohan,Pathfinder Moggs and all the others ........
AnswerID: 28233

Sponsored Links