Kangaroo Island

Submitted: Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 15:35
ThreadID: 66221 Views:2071 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
we would like to go very soon to KI. when we ask few people, some says not worth the trouble, nothing there really. what do you all tihink. We have an alternative trip to make . Mungo nationsal park. We are tossing need help. Thanks everyone
Gerry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 15:51

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 15:51
Hi Terry

We are going there next year,the Cooks sister and her family live
there, they reckon it's a great place to visit, so much to see and do,
the Vehicle Ferry is a bit expensive but it's well worth it.

Cheers
Daza
AnswerID: 350589

Reply By: Member - 1/2A - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 16:22

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 16:22
We were going to the island but the ferry price stopped us. From memory about $300 with camper, thats a lot of fuel.
AnswerID: 350596

Reply By: Lotzi - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 17:43

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 17:43
G'day Benq

One of my favourite places, the new parks/ranger interp centre is very good, as is Admiralty Arch, lot of fun just watching the seals and do take the walk amongst the seals on the beach... great.

Yep, the ferry crossing can be a bit hexy (and bumpy) but at the end of the day it costs to go to Fraser and Morton Islands as well.

Make sure the batteries are charged on the camera and video, because you may see... penguins, koalas, kangaroos, seals, oh and some nice forest and coastal scenery.

And if you call into McLaren Vale prior to going down there, you could find a nice drop or 3, just to make it that much better.

Only rule for me down there is be careful as to where you camp, trees are known to drop branches.

Up to you, but I like the place.

Lotzi
AnswerID: 350617

Follow Up By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 18:23

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 18:23
wattch out for the drop bears! Ha ha aha ha!
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 618923

Follow Up By: Lotzi - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 20:41

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 20:41
G'day Fred B

Mate it's not the drop bears, it's them bloody hoop snakes ... ya hear their call... hoop hoop, look up, then they roll into ya all the time...bugger..... bin there done that .... lol

Lotzi
FollowupID: 618959

Follow Up By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 20:49

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 20:49
At least the hoop snakes are not dangerous, until they let go of their tail that is .... :)
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 618966

Reply By: GoneTroppo Member (FNQ) - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 17:52

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 17:52
It's a bit like Tasmania only smaller.

We spent a week and a half over christmas a few years ago. I have never been so cold in my life and they won't let you light a fire anywhere.
It was OK once but I would not go back, too much hassle and expense getting there.

Apart from the seal / sea lion thing there is not much that you can't get elsewhere
AnswerID: 350622

Follow Up By: DIO - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 18:06

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 18:06
If you were on KI over Christmas then you would have been there during the fire danger season. KI has had several very large and destructive bushfires in recent years. I imagine that they would have become very worried about fires lit by some travellers and often left unattended with the potential for destroying their homes and livelyhood. If the place doesn't appeal to you then why bag it, just don't go as your absence will undoubtedly make it a less congested place for those who appreciate pristine bushland, abundant wildlife and outstanding scenery.
FollowupID: 618920

Follow Up By: GoneTroppo Member (FNQ) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 07:13

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 07:13
Just as this forum would be a better place for people to express their opinion when asked, without your idiotic and ill informed comments.

You've been told to pull your head in more times than anyone can remember.

What don't you get about PO??
FollowupID: 619020

Reply By: RobAck - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 18:46

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 18:46
It depends on what you like. Great scenery, a chance to see the seals up close and personal, some nice wineries and great seafood with excellent camping. If you take your time and sample the whole island it will take a week as a minimum. A great place to relax and enjoy in our book. We get back there for a week or so every few years just for a different perspective.

Your question is impossible to answer. Mungo is a totally different place and equally as enjoyable but for completely different reasons.

Oh and we're based in Adelaide and run tours and when we want a break we go to KI or some of our favourite and secret places

Regards

RobA
AnswerID: 350635

Reply By: SCFA (Bundaberg Qld) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:07

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:07
Hi Benq,
the current caravan & motorhome magazine has a dvd with it that shows Kangaroo Island. They usually cover things pretty well so it may be worth grabbing a at the newsagent.

Cheers
AnswerID: 350732

Reply By: jskogsta - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 12:07

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 12:07
Well.. we've been there once, and I must say that we loved the place. Stayed there only for 3 days or so, so did not get around to it all... but we have nothing but fond memories of it. Would love to stay at the eco village that we stayed last time (can't remember the name right now), and stay at the lighthouse on the far end of the island...
Portaled 79 series with rego VALHAL. Selcal 1510 VKS. Nissan 4x4 Club of Victoria & Trakmaster Owners Club.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 350751

Reply By: Squizzy - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 12:25

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 12:25
We were told before we went over last year that 2-3 days is ample.
But we were there for 12 days and we intend going back again.

We had our CT and camped around the island, and it is like anywhere in our great country, you have to see it and make up your own mind, because we all see things differently.

We particularly liked the caravan park down the western end near the National Park, it has great wildlife in abundance. Even a resident friendly kangaroo that will eat from your hands, and your table if you don't watch him. He allows kids to pat and cuddle too.

Make your decision and hopefully whatever it is you enjoy it.

Geoff.
AnswerID: 350755

Reply By: imjames - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 00:24

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 00:24
Did I hear Mungo National Park. This place is brilliant for photography and to experience the openess of the outback. 2 days here and you are done though. Kids would prefer KI as there is more to see n do. be very careful on the unmade roads as the small beaded stones can cause your vehicle to fish tail. A friend of mine rolled her car 3 times and broke her spine, since deceased.
AnswerID: 350913

Sponsored Links