Troopy or Wagon

Submitted: Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 19:41
ThreadID: 66230 Views:4367 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

AS a outback tourer for two I thought the wagons with the back seat removed seemed a good option as the reality is it does have to do a large part of its duty as urban transport. However I notice how popular the Troopy is and wonder why ?.
I had discounted it because of the limited access to the rear as it doesnt have any side doors like the wagons. So how have you set up your troopy to access your gear and do you sleep in it? I mean is the fridge on the bottom and how then do you get at the gear behind the fridge ?
The trayback version with the ali box and side doors impresses but this seems the most expensive of the three options. The 100 series toyotas seem attractively priced. I am interested in your choice of a tourer for two and the reasoning behind your choice.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: troopyman - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 20:22

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 20:22
My troopy has 2 buckets up front with a 3 bench behind and a cargo barrier behind that . I can take up to 5 people and put all the gear behind the barrier and the oztent and mattresses and stuff on the roofrack . Or i can take the cargo barrier out and seat up to 9 people and tow a trailer for the gear .Or carry two people with the cargo barrier changed to the behind bucket seats position and sleep in the back and carry stuff in the trailer . Or etc etc etc .
AnswerID: 350659

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 22:22

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 22:22
Troopies dont really cut it in the glamour stakes, maybe dont offer as comfortable a ride as some other vehicles, have the turning circle of the Queen Mary .... BUT they are very robust and reliable (mostly, despite what it says in our blogs) making them ideal for remote travel. They are big enough to put a comfortable bed in the back plus all the other gear needed for a big trip. And you get a great view of the country from inside a Troopy, and from this female drivers perspective are fun to drive, not difficult despite their size.

Troopy owners delight in planning and setting up their Troopy to meet their particular travel needs. Fridges can fit beneath a bed and drawers solve the access problem reasonably well. Have a look at some of our photos to see how we have gone about it.The Troopy user group is another good place to see what Troopy owners think about their vehicles.

We have had our Troopy for nearly 20 years. Last trip it had some serious mechanical problems. We opted for an engine and gearbox rebuild in order to retain the modifications that we have put into the vehicle. So far all seems to be working out very well.

Troopies aren't for everyone but they do have a loyal following for some very good reasons.

Cheers,

Val.

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 350685

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 23:15

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 23:15
"The trayback version with the ali box and side doors impresses but this seems the most expensive of the three options."

The most expensive option is to pick one that you don't like and change your mind later.

With the traytop option, you can move your aluminium canopy from one vehicle to the next, or sell it separately to the vehicle, so while your initial costs are high, I think you'll do OK in the long run.
AnswerID: 350693

Follow Up By: kwk56pt - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 00:57

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 00:57
Thanks Phil I appreciate your reply, you raised some good points. I have admired your set up and so I checked out those hdj79 Landcruisers which I found are very sought after, priced up a box and noted several posts about the standard seating not being the best for touring. I checked out those ex telstra patrols, it seems they use at least 16 litres per hundred maybe more and I started to wonder whether this was the way to go. A lot of people do go the troopy or wagon route and there seems to be plenty of 100 series wagons for sale so I have drifted a bit off course.
You are correct in that picking one option and changing my mind later is the most expensive option. I suppose I am just trying to either eliminate or open my mind to other possibilities
I note you have had a wagon before the hdj79 so I suppose I should take a lesson from your experience.

FollowupID: 619016

Follow Up By: A J - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 08:41

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 08:41
Phil - I think that a set up like yours is the best - better access to the back through the sides - no rear access is better for dust sealing.

If someone does happen to break into the vehicle they can only take from the cab - not the whole load.

Back section harder to break into if there are no windows.

When you get home you can lift off the canopy and have a tray back to use.

If you change vehicles the canopy can be shifted over.

Noticed Ron Moon sometimes travels with Carry Me Camper on his Nissan which looks a good until.

For me this appears to be the way to go.

A J
FollowupID: 619028

Follow Up By: ross - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 09:20

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 09:20
I also have a tray top and alloy camper on the rear(similar to a Howling Moon)
Its not neccesarily the dearest option,because the tray backs are much cheaper than troopys of the same vintage and condition.
I paid $12k for low klm 95 HZJ75 cab chassis and $9K for a fully equipped camper with 80 litre Waeco.
FollowupID: 619038

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 02:02

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 02:02
kwk56pt
I have an ex Telstra Troopy 1994, now has just over 733,000 Ks, I do not add oil between 10,000 K changes, the center mesh section of the cargo is removed, that allows me to access the bed without getting out when it rains, under the bed is an 80 Ltr water tank, also a 180 Ltr Diesel tank , recovery gear, between the bed and left side is an area where I can stand , also the fridge is on the left side, the vehicle has 2 x 90 Ltr fuel tanks, the dash is funcional and usableon top, the front, and the ends,The front roof section also allows for a decent size console, and if you want to know my opinion of a Troopy.....TOUGH.

Image Could Not Be Found

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 350699

Reply By: toyotabits.com - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 04:16

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 04:16
G'day kwk56pt, my troopy has an aftermarket 4 seat lengthways down passenger side that slides out to make a bed with 4 seatbelts & storage underneath, then I made storage cupboards beside that to continue flat bed full width if required with fridge built in at back with access through double back door or inside, all very convenient & suites me fine, regards, aussiedingo
AnswerID: 350702

Reply By: Best Off Road - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 06:57

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 06:57
Despite their imposing physical size, there is not a lot more space in the back of a Troopy than say a GU with the seats removed.

Also the access from the rear doors in a wagon makes things easier. And with a wagon you will get some additional storage under the false floor, or _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx, in the cavity where the seats were removed from.

The best thing is to take a tape measure, compare your preferred vehicles and then work out what will fit where.

Cheers,

Jim from _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx.

AnswerID: 350707

Reply By: Michael A (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 08:04

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 08:04
We don't sleep in ours, we have a third door to access the rear. At the back is a drawer system with 60litre fridge. In the centre is a shelf under which I store tools, spares and recover gear etc.

In the middle and back I have also placed roof shelves to help store light things such as pillows, tarps etc. otu of the way and avoid the need for a roof rack.

The attraction was the large payload (as I broke my Patrol from carrying too much gear) and the reliability in the bush. With the 4.5 V8 sealing the deal.

It has character, and anticipate many years of outback touring.

Michael A
AnswerID: 350715

Follow Up By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 11:35

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 11:35
Michael,

Have had a troopy back in 1992 (for work) and loved it....drove it everywhere. Even the old 1HZ was OK, albeit a little slow, particularly when loaded.

Had a look at your website (excellent) and I love your troopy, especially with the side door/ Very well set up truck. I might MM you with a few questions if that's OK.

Cheers,

Mark

FollowupID: 619059

Sponsored Links