Up-date on the OKA.

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 22:52
ThreadID: 66270 Views:2746 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
In true Aussie style, we took a brand new engine and took to it with a grinder, a gas axe and a welder, we also changed a few bits here and there.

Firstly we took the new bell housing off and fitted the adapter plate, the new flywheel and clutch were bigger than the old one, so out with the grinder, grind a bit here and grind a bit there and the old bell housing now fits nicely.

Next was the fan this was fairly easy, the old fan housing was used along with the old fan, the old ones were used to fit within the front radiator cowling.

We then took the air compressor off, this compressor is for air over hydraulic brakes, not used on an OKA, instead this was the housing for the power steering pump, unfortunately the old pump didn't fit the new housing, so the pump, compressor were sent to a engineer and a new pump is being made to fit.

The alternator mount has a plate on top to house the A/C compressor,normally the A/C compressor on an OKA is housed on the engine mount , we soon found out why so out with the gas axe and the alternator mount now fits without the A/C compressor mount.

The new engine also has a different drive belt set up with 2 belt for the alternator as opposed to one, so the A/C compressor had to be aligned with the alternator and harmonic balancer, now we can run 2 belts for the whole system, this in it's self posed a small problem, the belts only run about 1/3 of the way around the A/C compressor, so out with the welder and a new mount made to fit a idler pulley, problem now solved.

Hopefully the fun job of putting it in the OKA will happen in the next couple of days, this itself will pose a problem, as we have to put the engine in from underneath, so we will have to lift the front up with a fork lift, then put the engine under the OKA and then drop it down and with the engine crane lift the engine into place. I will take photos of the engine going in and put the on the next up-date.

It has been both fun and a big learning curve for me, I will keep you posted.

Cheers Steve.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 22:56

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 22:56
Gday
A mate has an izuzu t/d motor lined up to go in his...do u want his old perky??
Andrew
AnswerID: 350902

Follow Up By: Top End Explorer Tours - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 23:28

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 23:28
Hi Dozer.

Before we decided on the new engine we had started to order parts to rebuild the old engine, unfortunately the more we pulled down the bigger the rebuild, in the end the cost of a new engine was smaller than the rebuild,so we bought the new engine, we have since been told that the parts we ordered can't be returned.

So I will rebuild the old one over the coming year and have it as a spare.

Send me an email with your mates details and perhaps how much he want's I may be interested, I will see how much I have left as this has cost over $20,000 to this point.

My email is explorertours@bigpond.com

Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 619189

Sponsored Links